Weird recent employment and disclosing it on (2ndary) applications...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrivenAndDangerous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application last Thursday (6/1), and this morning I was offered a job as a remote tutor with tutor.com. My virtual interview was on Saturday (6/3). I had gone back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to pursue tutor.com for a few months and was even moved to a waitlist due to inactivity half way through my application. On Friday, however, I moved forward with it and am now completing the final steps towards employment. Maybe it was the realness of submitting my application along with 1) the primary fees and 2) the impending doom of future debt, if all goes well in the coming cycle.

Nevertheless, I am currently employed by my university as a math/physics tutor for the athletes (8-12 hours/week during academic year), and I plan to tutor similar subjects with tutor.com, including statistics. My tutoring experience on campus was (and is) one of my "most meaningful" which is entirely truthful, but I'm honestly picking up the tutor.com gig as extra income on the side. A "side hustle," if you will. I'm not sure how employment as a virtual tutor could come off to adcoms, especially if my commitment will only be around 5 hours a week. I hope to stay employed for a good amount of time, however, perhaps even keep it as a side hustle in med school (anything to bring in at least some income). And I guess my reasons for pursuing this job weren't only for the money, but also because I've enjoyed tutoring so far and it is an opportunity to help others in areas I'm skilled at - the setting much more informal.

My intentions wouldn't be to hide this employment, but would this be something to consider adding to secondary questions like "Is there anything else you'd like us to know?" or bring up in interviews? I only ask because, like I said, I'm not too invested in it, certainly not as much as I am to my original tutoring job and I'm not sure if this looks good or bad on my part. I couldn't imagine it having an extreme detrimental effect on my application, but I'm not sure it's a positive one.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be negative? Not a strong positive certainly, but I can't see any downside...

I don't see the issue. Why are you worried?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it be negative? Not a strong positive certainly, but I can't see any downside...

I feel like the intentions are obvious (side job, extra money) and that might not necessarily be seen in brightest light. I was just wondering if it was worth bringing up.

I feel like the intentions are obvious (side job, extra money) and that might not necessarily be seen in brightest light. I was just wondering if it was worth bringing up.
Holy crap ....you are allowed to like money

Relax

Reactions: 6 users
Side jobs are not seen in a negative light. Some of us had to pay for all med school expenses. Juggling commitments is expected.

Reactions: 1 users

You're allowed to eat, and AdComs understand that you've got bills to pay. ;) Actually, you do get some credit for paying them yourself versus having Mom & Dad foot the whole bill.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my application last Thursday (6/1), and this morning I was offered a job as a remote tutor with tutor.com. My virtual interview was on Saturday (6/3). I had gone back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to pursue tutor.com for a few months and was even moved to a waitlist due to inactivity half way through my application. On Friday, however, I moved forward with it and am now completing the final steps towards employment. Maybe it was the realness of submitting my application along with 1) the primary fees and 2) the impending doom of future debt, if all goes well in the coming cycle.

Nevertheless, I am currently employed by my university as a math/physics tutor for the athletes (8-12 hours/week during academic year), and I plan to tutor similar subjects with tutor.com, including statistics. My tutoring experience on campus was (and is) one of my "most meaningful" which is entirely truthful, but I'm honestly picking up the tutor.com gig as extra income on the side. A "side hustle," if you will. I'm not sure how employment as a virtual tutor could come off to adcoms, especially if my commitment will only be around 5 hours a week. I hope to stay employed for a good amount of time, however, perhaps even keep it as a side hustle in med school (anything to bring in at least some income). And I guess my reasons for pursuing this job weren't only for the money, but also because I've enjoyed tutoring so far and it is an opportunity to help others in areas I'm skilled at - the setting much more informal.

My intentions wouldn't be to hide this employment, but would this be something to consider adding to secondary questions like "Is there anything else you'd like us to know?" or bring up in interviews? I only ask because, like I said, I'm not too invested in it, certainly not as much as I am to my original tutoring job and I'm not sure if this looks good or bad on my part. I couldn't imagine it having an extreme detrimental effect on my application, but I'm not sure it's a positive one.

Any thoughts?

I see no reason to hide this. It's extra employment and gaining further teaching experience is relevant to a career in medicine, where being able to communicate science to members of the public (patients) is essential. That said, it may make more sense to group it with other work under a single activity entry if you really don't think it's a hugely important experience.

I work for them and put it on my application. Never even considered it being a negative.