Weird prerequisites question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is currently a business major but has taken 90 hours which consists of 2 general bio classes(zoology,botany) w/ labs, stats, calculus 1, and algebra based physics 1&2 w/labs. He asked me at dinner tonight if he could apply to med school with only those classes knowing he will have to complete the Chem classes to finish the requirements. I told him he needed to take the mcat also but just seems like a super weird. So can he apply with just those classes after he takes the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend that is currently a business major but has taken 90 hours which consists of 2 general bio classes(zoology,botany) w/ labs, stats, calculus 1, and algebra based physics 1&2 w/labs. He asked me at dinner tonight if he could apply to med school with only those classes knowing he will have to complete the Chem classes to finish the requirements. I told him he needed to take the mcat also but just seems like a super weird. So can he apply with just those classes after he takes the mcat?
Some schools also require undergrad english. As long as he's completed/in process of completing all pre-requisite courses + MCAT, yes. Majoring in a "science" isn't necessary to apply to med school.

Reactions: 1 user
There are people who apply with the bare bones pre-reqs, so yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
He needs chem 1+2 and labs, organic 1+2 and labs. Even then really he would need a semester of biochem and psych and socio too for the sake of the MCAT. I'd tell him he would need to plan a full year of getting ready to apply, but yeah by June 2018 he could be ready.