weird interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never asked why I want to be a doctor, or what I thought about volunteering in the ER or anything else I did. It was otherwise easy though (about my family and education and background).

The first thing he asked my was if I sped while on the road coming to St. Louis (but he was being casual there, not interviewing).

Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

that or he could have just been testing your integrity and honesty. obviously no one is perfect so he wanted to know whether you would answer honestly when caught off guard

That's a good interview question. It makes the applicant think and it is not a stock question that can be prepared for ahead of time. I always ask one "thinking" interview question.

I ask prospective students a question I used to ask when I interviewed people at my previous job:

Tell me about a mistake or error in judgement that you made and what did you learn from the experience. It can be anything- personal, professional or academic.

It really opens up a great discussion with the applicant and is much better than the standard "tell me what your strengths and weaknesses are".

There are no right or wrong answers to these type of questions, so don't stress about them. Just say what comes to mind and elaborate a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about this question and came up with something that might work for others if it comes up again:

If you were ever part of an athletic team, like myself, of course you broke the rules, but not without consequence.

For example. I was red-carded during college for getting emotionally attached to the game and letting my mouth get the better of me towards the ref. I learned that I let my team down because I was out of the game and the following game and I wasn't holding up my end as a part of a unit. However, I'm glad I broke the rule at least once. My team could see that I had just as much gut and passion as the rest of them, so they knew I was giving a hundred percent. In this case, breaking the rule wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I sure learned a lot about self control and my dedication to my unit! :)

I think any team analogy could be applied here.. just my thoughts

yeah that question pops up in secondaries for a good number of schools as well....

its a good interview question as well to see whether or not you were pushed to break a rule and why you took the extra step to knowingly break it....

but yeah....maybe they didnt need to talk about the standard questions because you addressed them in your personal statement and secondary and stuff like that.