Weill Cornell Qatar??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Count92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar as excellent as NY? Basically, If I study at Qatar, am I studying at THE Cornell??? The one I have always dreamt of?? Even is my degree THE Cornell degree or does it say qatar? Is it by any way less important such as only an affiliation or is it THE Cornell??

And can I after graduating from Qatar attend important residency programs in the US with as much chance as the NY students? For example, would it be easy for me to attend New York Presbytarian Residency program??

Thank you for your replies!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar as excellent as NY? Basically, If I study at Qatar, am I studying at THE Cornell??? The one I have always dreamt of?? Even is my degree THE Cornell degree or does it say qatar? Is it by any way less important such as only an affiliation or is it THE Cornell??

And can I after graduating from Qatar attend important residency programs in the US with as much chance as the NY students? For example, would it be easy for me to attend New York Presbytarian Residency program??

No.

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe.

Perhaps.

Sorry to ruin the thing you guys have going, but isn't the Cornell Qatar program a 6-year program?

Yes, Cornell Q is as excellent as Cornell NY. I assure you, you will be studying at THE cornell. The curriculum offered in Q campus is exactly the same as the one offered in NY campus, and almost every professor in Cornell Q have worked in Cornell NY before.

If you graduate from Cornell Q, your degree will NOT say Qatar. It will be the EXACT same degree that any graduate of Cornell NY would obtain upon graduation.

I don't really know about the residency program that you mentioned but have a look at the previous WCMCQ match day results and you will notice how impressive they are. Every year the results are even more impressive than the year before.

Sorry to ruin the thing you guys have going, but isn't the Cornell Qatar program a 6-year program?

WCMCQ offers a two years pre-medical program followed by a four years Medical program. You can do your premed in the US and then apply to the medical program in WCMCQ but it is very competitive, very few places are offered for external applicants. If you do your premed in WCMCQ your chance of getting accepted in the Med program is ALOT higher. However, Be aware that the premed program there is a no-degree program, but its credits are fully transfarable to other universities if incase you didn't get accepted into the Medical program.

Cornell advertises them to be equivalent, but Qatar is not accredited. So they are not equivalent

Cornell advertises them to be equivalent, but Qatar is not accredited. So they are not equivalent

That is 100% false. Cornell Qatar is accredited. Graduating Students are getting into very competitive residency programs in the US. The degree awarded by Cornell Q is identical and equivilant to the degree awarded by Cornell NY.

Do some research before talking.

THE Cornell, THE Cornell....Anything else to say? Important residencies? That is very subjective. One could argue that all branches of medicine are equally important. Now, if you mean prestigious or highly ranked, that's a different story.

THE Cornell, THE Cornell....Anything else to say? Important residencies? That is very subjective. One could argue that all branches of medicine are equally important. Now, if you mean prestigious or highly ranked, that's a different story.

Aside from a few matches back at NYP (ie ties to Cornell), the match list is decidedly underwhelming.

http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/media/reports/2011/matchDay.html

The main Cornell medical school has a much better match list.