weill cornell Qatar interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm a final year pre-med student at WCMC-Q..if you need any help or have any questions.. let me know :D

Hi. I have queries regarding the Clinical training. Without knowledge of Arabic. isnt it difficult to understand what the patient is saying? Secondly, after SIDRA starts functioning, will the students be stopped from being sent to US for clerkships? To gain residency spots in the US, it is very important to have done clerkship in the US. Can you help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I plan to apply to Cornell this year and I want to know if SAT subject tests are really important (as they say they are not required but recommended).
Also, I would like to know if someone got accepted without the SAT subject tests. If so, what were your grades/gpa/scores?

Thanks alot.

Are there any med. students at WCMC-Q that can answer questions
I have regarding the school? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current med student at WCMC-Q (not pre-med) and I can probably help :) What is it that you need help with?

I appreciate your reply. I have tons of questions! But, let me just ask a few at a time. Do you think having a master's degree in a science will help gain entrance into the med. program? My gpa is very high, but I messed up on my MCAT due to extenuating circumstances :( So, I'm concerned my application is weakened as a result of that. Also, does the Qatar foundation provide full coverage of tuition promptly? How much would you estimate a student should save if he or she gains entrance to WCMC-Q in order to make the transition over? Thank you!

hey guys

i am thinking about applying to weill cornell,but its too damn expensive.but i heared that they have a financial aid program..
does any1 have any idea about that?????:D

Hello Guys,

QF has a very generous no-interest financial aid program covering up to 100% of Tuition and other expenses. After you fill out the financial aid application they will determine the amount of aid you will need.

Note that the tuition fee also covers:
1) All the text books - I received 9 books for "term 1" MD-1
2) All lecture notes colour printed.
3) Transportation to and from the Hospital and other health centres.
4) Printing (colour and black) is free throughout the Cornell facility.

Food is really cheap in Education city. We have an on campus Bank, Post Office, Travel Agency, and Atheletics and Recreation facilities (free - and can also borrow for free all the different types of rackets, bats, balls). Cricket, soccer and Basketball are huge.

Monthly expenses (food**, phone and entertainment) - 800 Riyals (cooks at home) - 1500 Riyals (eats out a lot)

Dorms (5 star :thumbup:): For 7000 Riyals per term - you get a fully furnished apartment (4 per apt) with full cutlery set (+oven gloves, meat cutting board), towels, hangers, plates, dishwasher, washer, dryer, desk, office chair, TV, lamps, beds, comforters, Wireless internet access.

Bottom line - Education city is the place to be.

Masters is always good. If you can - try to redo the MCAT. They usually accept 1-2 international students every year for the MD program.

Hope that helps.

Mashallah, that's wonderful! I already applied with my low score and a plan to retake my MCAT during the Spring as a back up, inshallah. But, I don't know how my application will look because of this score. Everything else is strong. Subhanallah, only one to two international students per year. Mubarak, may Allah make you successful, ameen.

1 or 2 international students per year!!!! :eek:

On the site, it says 70% are reserved for Qatari citizens...I would think that would leave more than only 1 or 2 international students per year?? :confused:

Dr.oo :D

From what I gather, that leaves a total of fifteen slots for international students with the priority given to students located in the Middle East. Americans and other international students fill the last slot or two.
Qadar Allahu wa ma'shaa fa'al.

Does the coverage consist of scholarship/grants and interest free loans. Or, just interest free loans? Are you in class most of the day? Do you know of any students that work as well?

Hello Guys,

There are only 2 Qatari's in our class of 27 students. They have had difficulties recruiting Qatari students in the past and even for the newest batch of premeds the numbers are nowhere near 70%.

I noticed there was some confusion. You can join WCMC-Q in the premed program (2+4 = 6 years) or directly into the MD program (4 years). Historically they have only accepted 1-2 students from outside directly into the MD program. Most of the students that enter into the MD program are students who completed the premedical program here at WCMC-Q.

There are full scholarships available but almost all are restricted to GCC countries and other poor countries in the region. Financial aid (no-interest loan upto 100%) is available to students of any nationality. We have in our class a couple of Americans, a couple of Canadians, and the rest are from Egypt, India, Iraq, Palestine, Pakistan, Lebanon.

I don't think anyone in our class works because of our really busy schedule. But there are opportunities: for example you can work as a CDA for the dorms --> Your dorm rent is paid off + a monthly allowance which should cover your living expenses. They have research scholarships available - so you can do research while in school and get a monthly stipend (a few people in our class are doing this).

Hope that helps.

Thank you. All of the information is very helpful. Do you mind if I ask you about your academic background? What did you major in? What was your MCAT score? I'm just curious because I'm concerned about the acceptance rate being very low and want to get a better understanding of the type of applicant that stands out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I forgot to ask you another question. Out of the American and Canadian students that are in your class, how many of them are women?

There is one Canadian female.

canmeds, does cornell qatar usually get a large number of applicants from the US for the md program? and based on what you have written above, do they really only choose 1 or 2??

I am interested in this school as well and wanted to know if they post the accepted l MCAT score/GPA, particularly the people they accepted from North America.

Can you get citizenship there while in Medical school? If you do residency there as a foreign student, would you be able to get a job afterwards from their hospitals?

Last years average GPA was 3.5, MCAT average was 11.6 for Physical and 10.9 for Biological sciences.

If you do residency in Qatar, you can work anywhere in the middle-east (to my understanding) and of course you can work in Qatar. If you work for 6 years (includes time spent during residency) - the financial aid that was offered to you is forgiven completely.

Working as a resident is pretty decent and you are paid comparable to what you would get paid in North America or better.

You cannot get citizenship no matter what.

mkitty: I am sure they get applications from the US. Historically they have only accepted a 1-2 applicants for the MD program.

Hope that helps.

Canmed, very thoughtful replies. What was your VR score? Can you throw some light on your approx gpa, if you are not secretive about it?
should I bother applying to WCMC-Q with approx 3.8 OMSAS gpa and 35R mcat? Of course, my first choice are Ontario schools but I want to extend my chances.

Ma Salam

viscous, with a 35R, you are competitive for north american schools. Im not sure how the situation is in Ontario, but I wouldnt imagine you having a problem at all getting in somewhere in the states. have you already applied to Cornell qatar? Im still toying with the idea, even thought Ive already gained admission to US med schools, only bcs i think it would be really interesting to study abroad.

Hey guys, im a medical student of the upper classes in Cornell Qatar....I kjust wanna add sth that was not mentioned b4...they do accept more than 1-2 students international students but only 1 or 2 actually enroll... concerning the number, the biggest medical class so far has 30 students... another thing it really does not just depend on numbers but if ur really qualified or not...and its not just abt grades especially the external students...focus on ur extracurricular activities too....Concerning the language, more than half of the class do not speak ARABIC....it a bit hard at first but then u get over it...its cool...most Arabs even speak English here.....

if anyone got any questions,
please ask.

Canmedddddds!
Haha great to see that ur still helping ppl out! This guy helped me a lot when I was applying to pre-med for this year and it was fun meeting up at WCMC-Q months later when we both got in.
Anyways I'm a first year pre-med student, so um, if anyone has any questions about that, do ask!
Tc!

I'll be doing my interview on the 30th of march, right after mock exams! Any advice on this would really be appreciated! One more thing, for those who are currently doing premed in cornell qatar, any regrets, or perhaps any wishes to have done this in a different country, lets say America? thanks!

So if you get accepted to the premed program, if you pass your courses are you guaranteed admission into the MD program?

Well its different for everyone. For those convinced that med is the ultimate career, its better here coz u enter med school 2 yrs earlier than in the States. However u sit for MCAT a year before typical candidates do so yea..but then again if u do a proper 4 yr course, u get to do more courses that arent focused on sciences and stuff. But then again, if ur sure of doin med - then WCMCs the place to be:p and its a rly small community, the professors know u by name and are always ready to help u out and i can go on and on - at the end, its up to u and how u see it.
Anyways im done ranting, good luck on ur interview, i myt actually see u coz i sometimes help with touring the interviewees and have lunch with them as part of the program on ur interview day.
Be somewhat confident - not too much tho, be prepared by looking at typical interview qstns (tell me abt urself, why med, why WCMC, why not nursing, extracurriculars etc...), look through ur application, and most importantly jus be urself!
Dont hesitate to ask more qstns!
Tc

Well u have to get above a C- in all courses, pass an interview, write an essay and do an admissions test called MCAT. And also have extracurriculars, voluntary work, some research and good interpersonal skills.
hehe.
But iv heard its do-able so no worries!

Thanks for advice! I guess I'll never really know for sure if i want to go to qatar unless I see it for myself. After all, i do have the option of going to america or Canada, but given the fact that I'm an international student and looking and at the benefits this program can provide me, I think WCMC-Q is a great option! I hope i see you there. Just look for the shortest girl you can find in the crowd (if you can find me). I'll be off from mocks at the end of the month so I'm planning on staying a while longer with my parents just to get to know the place. Speaking of parents, the interview and tour day is strictly for students, right? I'm just making sure, because for USC the interview and tour day is open for both parents and students. In fact the parents are encouraged to come so they would see the uni. for themselves. Thanks again!

Hey again,
Well usually its just students but its perfectly fine if your parents come. Like, when I came for my interview, my dad came with me and he was with us during the tour and all. When the time came for the interviews, only then were the students taken separately - after the interviews, ur parents are always welcome to join u guys for lunch.
Lemme know if u need anything once u get here!
Tc!

i wanted to ask whether is the MCAT is an absolute requirement for admission to weill cornell qatar (MD program) ??

i hold a bachelors degree in dental surgery (equivalent to dds/dmd). i have a cgpa of 3.53. 3 years of clinical rotations in medicine, surgery and all dental fields. volunteering as well as casualty/ER postings. i also have covered most basic sciences courses during the first 2 yrs of dental school and got mostly A's and B's in them. Total of 136 Credits for 4 yrs of dental school.

what are my chances ??:confused:

can any1 help ?? appreciate it....

hey guys. I got back from qatar yesterday. My interview went really well (alhamdulillah) and I was really, really impressed and pleased to see what I have seen. I really hope i get accepted. I just wanted to say thank you, especially to the first year pre med students for showing us around, I really enjoyed it. Speaking of which, who here in this forum is a first year pre med student who was with the interviewees on the 15th?

Hey there! 15th March - I think I was probably there. You were one of the group of four that had 2 guys and 2 girls?

I wasn't sure you would see the post on your profile for some reason... anyway, yes I was with that group. were you with us? well, I got accepted so i'll be seeing you there hopefully! thanks!

Hi guys

I am a canadian student and want to apply to Weil Cornell for the pre-med program in qatar, my sat1 is 2100, i have lots of volunteering in health care fields, and i have lots of activities...etc. However my gpa is only 3.2 !!
should i even bother to apply???

hey Gege!

I'm a Canadian high school graduate, and am applying there as well. Just wondering if you did the SAT subject tests? and what science courses did you do in that?

hello everyone
i want to apply for cornell pre-med but the thing is my SAT is not that high though i am taking te hardest course in y scool and my gpa is almost perfect with lots of extra after school activityis, so i wana know would my SAT affect my application cuz if it do so i will nedd a back up plan thanQ :D :luck:

How bad is ur SAT?
SAT seems to be very important - from what iv heard. if ur above average - it should be fine. like u'll get an interview - so do great in that and all should be well.

in my first try i got 610 but itz below the average, so do u think i can make it to the interview?

in my first try i got 610 but itz below the average, so do u think i can make it to the interview?

I got 670 in my Maths and then 650 in the second try. I was hoping for a 740 but unfortunately didn't. I gave up on SAT though. The average is not 699 :'(
Do you think I still have a chance?

Did anyone receive an invitation yet? Interviews are supposed to be between January and the end of February, and so far my application status is "Under Review".

Does anyone have any information?

I contacted them, no reply.

hello, hope ur still here. SAT 490 480 (CR,W) 700 (MATHS). I know english is pretty low but do you know any people with SAT scores about 1700 accepted ?