Weight of prestigious scholarships when applying to residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orims

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if being a recipient of a prestigious scholarship, think Geffen scholar, Soros, etc., would be something that residency programs take into account when choosing future residents?

Assuming a strong application otherwise, how would an applicant from a good school with one of these scholarships compare to someone with a similar application coming from a T5?

Members don't see this ad.

If the selection committee knows about it, then it can carry some weight. If an applicant was a Rhodes or a Marshall scholar for example, I presume it carries weight, although those applicants typically end up attending T5/T10 medical schools.

It's certainly a positive aspect but likely not a major factor unless it's something famous like Rhodes.

Seems like you're a pre-med - I wouldn't decide on schools based on this factor (i.e. how it seems to residency programs).

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like these kind of "assuming a strong application otherwise" questions are kind of pointless. Of course having an award (because that's what this is) helps you. But it's not like it's taken in a vacuum, it's taken in the context of the rest of your application.

I couldn't tell you where these scholarships you're naming are from without looking them up. Bottom line, most awards other than AOA and Gold Humanism are probably pretty marginal in terms of how they help your app. So as you decide where to go this year, I would look at them strictly in terms of how they impact your financial feasibility of attending the school rather than worry about that line on your CV.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like these kind of "assuming a strong application otherwise" questions are kind of pointless. Of course having an award (because that's what this is) helps you. But it's not like it's taken in a vacuum, it's taken in the context of the rest of your application.

I couldn't tell you where these scholarships you're naming are from without looking them up. Bottom line, most awards other than AOA and Gold Humanism are probably pretty marginal in terms of how they help your app. So as you decide where to go this year, I would look at them strictly in terms of how they impact your financial feasibility of attending the school rather than worry about that line on your CV.
Agree, except gold humanism is a joke at my school where it is more like a popularity contest.

Reactions: 1 user

You think something like the Rhodes would be less notable/helpful than AOA?

You think something like the Rhodes would be less notable/helpful than AOA?
I got the sense the OP was talking about a prestigious scholarship to a specific school. Clearly a major fellowship like Rhodes would be impressive, but it would also be an experience rather than just a CV line.

Ya know. For the random person out there debating whether they should take a Rhodes scholarship vs go straight to Med school :p

Reactions: 3 users