Wegovy = Magic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1111261

I wonder if it has effect on malignancy, as many cancers are obesity related.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One very interesting thing about these medicines i have been reading about is they make people drink less. They are less interested in it, less cravings etc. it might have applications in people who have problem with the bottle along with shrooms and LSD.

I wonder if it has effect on malignancy, as many cancers are obesity related.

SGlT2 inhibitors- (5 of them) stop kidneys from reabsorbing sugar. They are now standard of care in NON-diabetics with heart failure and kidney disease as they slow progression. (multiple NEJM articles) Also in the NIH's National intervention testing program, SGLT2 inhibitors make mice live longer. So diabetic drugs are affecting overall health (I posted on this before). Wegovy (GLP1R agonist) is also being trialed phase 3 internationalfor alzheimers. Pill formulations are coming soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't we been through this a million times with pharma before?
They make a drug that is dumped widely on the public and is all the rage. Deemed safe and effective because they basically so. They make many billions.
Years later turns out many thousands are harmed or killed
Whoopsie, pocket change settlement to them.
Do it all over again.

Will be interesting to see the effects of these weight loss drugs over the next decade. I have suspicions that a drug that can make someone who is clearly obese objectively skinny in just 1-2 months (seen it) is not going to have collateral consequences. Although I took Accutane as a kid when it was basically new and no one really knew how it worked, just that it was horribly teratogenic, and it would probably not cause cancer/mutations later on in life, and I'm still kicking decades later.

Reactions: 5 users
SGlT2 inhibitors- (5 of them) stop kidneys from reabsorbing sugar. They are now standard of care in NON-diabetics with heart failure and kidney disease as they slow progression. Also in the NIH's National intervention testing program, they make mice live longer. So these diabetic drugs are affecting overall health (I posted on this before). Wegovy is also be trialed phase 3 international trial for alzheimers.
Kinda like the starved mice living longer too

the insulin- IGF1/IGR/ mtor pathway is certainly important in cancer. mutations in igf1 pathway lead to dwarfs with low rates of cancer: Laron syndrome - Wikipedia

Last edited:
No one asked the mice how they felt.

1691511184410.png

They make a drug that is dumped widely on the public and is all the rage. Deemed safe and effective because they basically so. They make many billions.
Do it all over again.

Will be interesting to see the effects of these weight loss drugs over the next decade. I have suspicions that a drug that can make someone who is clearly obese objectively skinny in just 1-2 months (seen it) is not going to have collateral consequences. Although I took Accutane as a kid when it was basically new and no one really knew how it worked, just that it was horribly teratogenic, and it would probably not cause cancer/mutations later on in life, and I'm still kicking decades later.
Million times? I can’t even think of a handful that was killing patients in last decade.

Idk, this seems like statins to me. I’m excited for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Do it all over again.

These classes of drugs have been in widespread use for niddm for 10 years (ozempic/glp1and sglt2i flozins) so I don’t think we are going to be surprised by side effects.

Last edited:
It reminds me of NIH study showing primates don’t live longer with caloric restriction, as long as they’re not eating SAD (standard American diet). SAD gives you metabolic problems, heart disease, cancer, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Million times? I can’t even think of a handful that was killing patients in last decade.

Idk, this seems like statins to me. I’m excited for it.
People were excited for fenfluramine/phentermine too. These drugs had been around a while but problem were observed with widespread adoption. Of course Vioxx and "non-addictive" opioids are the poster children of big pharma maleficence but there are many other ones that didn't turn out so well.

Statins are controversial and you can youtube yourself to death on debates between doctors on that. It's an interesting question as to whether the risk-benefit ratio of statins vs. these drugs to just get weight down will carry more benefit in those simply unwilling/unable to make the lifestyle modifications needed, which is what the primary message from healthcare providers should be, not magic-bullet drugs, but I'm also not going down the is-40-percent-bodyfat-healthy-and-beautiful rabbit hole again. My gut feeling is that getting weight down (calorie deficits) at any cost is going to impact the health the most unless there is some catastrophic long term effect that emerges in a significant enough amount of the population.

I'm also concerned that these drugs will be abused by those not obese. They seem to cause a lot of loss of muscle mass, which is obviously not a good thing. I am admittedly extremely skeptical of pharma megacorps and their influence in the media through making up most of their advertising, especially when they have so many mechanisms to shield/limit their liability.

Members don't see this ad :)
wouldnt you like to pee out 300-400 of those Kcal?

There is without a doubt a segment of the population that will take home the message "wait I can eat twice as much now"

By the way, "the whale" was an such an excellent movie. I kinda almost cried at the end (maybe).

• Haha
Near 50% of the weight loss is lean mass and not fat according to what I have heard. All the ladies at the country clubs are already abusing this drug. The rep in our area is friends with a coworker and basically she has no work since they can not make the drug fast enough. .

Near 50% of the weight loss is lean mass and not fat according to what I have heard. All the ladies at the country clubs are already abusing this drug. The rep in our area is friends with a coworker and basically she has no work since they can not make the drug fast enough. .
Google "ozempic butt"
Seems umm not natural.
Lots of our office staff on it. The results are just wild.

People were excited for fenfluramine/phentermine too. These drugs had been around a while but problem were observed with widespread adoption. Of course Vioxx and "non-addictive" opioids are the poster children of big pharma maleficence but there are many other ones that didn't turn out so well.

Statins are controversial and you can youtube yourself to death on debates between doctors on that. It's an interesting question as to whether the risk-benefit ratio of statins vs. these drugs to just get weight down will carry more benefit in those simply unwilling/unable to make the lifestyle modifications needed, which is what the primary message from healthcare providers should be, not magic-bullet drugs, but I'm also not going down the is-40-percent-bodyfat-healthy-and-beautiful rabbit hole again. My gut feeling is that getting weight down (calorie deficits) at any cost is going to impact the health the most unless there is some catastrophic long term effect that emerges in a significant enough amount of the population.

I'm also concerned that these drugs will be abused by those not obese. They seem to cause a lot of loss of muscle mass, which is obviously not a good thing. I am admittedly extremely skeptical of pharma megacorps and their influence in the media through making up most of their advertising, especially when they have so many mechanisms to shield/limit their liability.
The drugs you are mentioning - the troubles happened for Vioxx before 2000! Fen/Phen - 1997. Opioids - yes, big trouble. You've given 2 pre 2000 examples and the opioid crisis. If you say "millions" and your two drugs withdrawn >20 years ago and oxycodone, it's hard for me understand if you're just arguing to argue or I'm missing something? I had said I can't even think of a handful in the last decade. I honestly can't think of one of importance that has "killed people" or been pulled off market.

Fenfluramine/phentermine did not have efficacy like this drug, based on my understanding of the literature. I'm not saying bad things won't happen, but not only is their weight loss, there is a cardiac benefit.

If you've met me in person (maybe you have!), you would see that I'm slight in figure. This has nothing to do with discipline or exercise or dieting. I just get full fast. And, it takes really long for me to put on weight. I'm actively trying to gain about 15 lbs. I'm 140 lbs and I don't think that for my height this feels/looks healthy. But, I stopped the hooch and since then, really hard to put weight on. Based on this lived experience, I doubt that it is as simple to lose weight as to jump on the treadmill and to eat less. I just don't buy that. Something in my brain just doesn't let me eat past full. I eat less than my wife. I rarely finish entrees. I am not strong willed, at all. And, I know heavier people that ARE strong willed and they exercise daily and they eat way better than I do. They have great difficulty losing weight.

I don't know enough about cardiology or obesity to get into the weeds, but there is something pretty neat happening with this drug, in my opinion. If it helps jump-start weight loss/healthy living and leads to better lifestyle choices, maybe that's a good thing. I don't know, we will see.

I'm really would like to see if it has an effect on malignancy.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, its melting faces. I guess thats not so good. And the plastic won't make your rump come back nicely.

Calories in must be less than calories out to lose weight.

Either push the food away or do more cardio (and weights). There are no alternatives.

• Love
I do not disagree for a second that some people are genetically predisposed to consume more calories than they need and it's certainly easy to look at people and say they need to have more willpower to overcome urges that people like you don't have!

An interesting thought about food addiction/compulsion, is when you compare it to narcotic/alcohol abuse, compulsive gambling, and even compulsive sex, you don't need to do any of those things to live. Literally everybody has to eat some amount of food. I can imagine the difficulty if you told a crack addict he was only allowed to have one hit a day and it's his fault if he can't control the temptation to do more.

I'm currently doing a 96 hour fast so these thoughts are going through my head. I want those donuts in the breakroom... bad.

With regards to recent drugs that made pharma billions where they were shielded from future liability and were deemed safe and effective without long term data and were claimed to do things they didn't do and had dangerous complications... um, no comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
One very interesting thing about these medicines i have been reading about is they make people drink less. They are less interested in it, less cravings etc. it might have applications in people who have problem with the bottle along with shrooms and LSD.
Is LSD associated with reducing alcohol, too? That’s interesting

Psilo is powerful. Cannot wait to see more studies

Is LSD associated with reducing alcohol, too? That’s interesting

Psilo is powerful. Cannot wait to see more studies
Id have to rewatch “how to change your mind” on Netflix but my understanding is a lot of hallucinogens like mescalin, psiocybin and LSD had excellent data in the 50s-60s showing utility in addictive behaviour, PTSD etc. They basically have the abilty to rewire/reset your mind which can be quite useful with therapy. It also seems to be highly effective in a few doses which pharma will not like. Also quite good in end of life with anxiety.
Then Nixon started the racist antisemitic “drug war” and Reagan doubled down. Of course it would go on to be bipartisan for decades with everyone being “tough” on it and hindering research.

That was a great watch.
Fun to watch him try the drugs, too

Will be interesting to see the effects of these weight loss drugs over the next decade.

Drugs in this class (Saxenda/Victoza, Trulicity) have been around for over a decade. It's not like we have no idea how the drugs behave in large population samples.

There is without a doubt a segment of the population that will take home the message "wait I can eat twice as much now"

Except the drug doesn't let you. Most patients on it have to remind themselves to eat because the urge to eat decreases significantly. Plus the nausea is a real side effect, particularly if you overeat. That's just how these drugs work.

Google "ozempic butt"
Seems umm not natural.
Lots of our office staff on it. The results are just wild.

Well, its melting faces. I guess thats not so good. And the plastic won't make your rump come back nicely.

Calories in must be less than calories out to lose weight.

Either push the food away or do more cardio (and weights). There are no alternatives.

1) All rapid weight loss results in a large amount of muscle loss. This is true whether that loss occurs with severe calorie restriction, fasting, liquid-shake diets, or Wegovy. Care has to be taken to preserve muscle mass, although that also means a slower rate of weight loss.

How many of you heard, or even suggested, 800-1200 calorie diets to patients? Any patient that adheres to one of those severe diets will have saggy skin (and slowed metabolism) because they're losing muscle mass, but I don't see anyone in this forum saying, "Oh yeah, those diets were terrible ideas and why did doctors ever recommend them?"

And, FFS, it's not melting faces. You know better than that.

2) I find it extremely hard to believe that "lots of our office staff are on it" or "all the ladies at the country club are on it." My DIABETIC patients can't even get it because it's been on back order for so long. Many patients are calling 2-3 different pharmacies just to find it.

I have seen exactly two insurance plans pay for it for non-diabetics, and that's even if you try getting it covered under "metabolic syndrome" or "PCOS" or "insulin resistance." Out of pocket, it's $900. How much are you paying your MAs that they can pay for it in cash? What kind of insurance plans are you offering your staff?

Reactions: 6 users
Drugs in this class (Saxenda/Victoza, Trulicity) have been around for over a decade. It's not like we have no idea how the drugs behave in large population samples.

Except the drug doesn't let you. Most patients on it have to remind themselves to eat because the urge to eat decreases significantly. Plus the nausea is a real side effect, particularly if you overeat. That's just how these drugs work.

1) All rapid weight loss results in a large amount of muscle loss. This is true whether that loss occurs with severe calorie restriction, fasting, liquid-shake diets, or Wegovy. Care has to be taken to preserve muscle mass, although that also means a slower rate of weight loss.

How many of you heard, or even suggested, 800-1200 calorie diets to patients? Any patient that adheres to one of those severe diets will have saggy skin (and slowed metabolism) because they're losing muscle mass, but I don't see anyone in this forum saying, "Oh yeah, those diets were terrible ideas and why did doctors ever recommend them?"

2) I find it extremely hard to believe that "lots of our office staff are on it" or "all the ladies at the country club are on it." My DIABETIC patients can't even get it because it's been on back order for so long. Many patients are calling 2-3 different pharmacies just to find it.

I have seen exactly two insurance plans pay for it for non-diabetics, and that's even if you try getting it covered under "metabolic syndrome" or "PCOS" or "insulin resistance." Out of pocket, it's $900. How much are you paying your MAs that they can pay for it in cash? What kind of insurance plans are you offering your staff?
It’s 100$ in the uk, so probably worth going to another country.

Ah, my favorite SDN PCP - thank you for enlightening us!

• Love

It's true, they are using it and the results are extreme. The loss of gluteal muscle is extremely obvious. I do not know where they got it.

Intermittent fasting works well. I do it myself and do not lose muscle mass even with occasional 72-96 hour fasts. Keep up a high protein diet and frequent weight training and you are good. Nearly everybody should be lifting weights. Very few do.

I have prescribed ozempic for obese prostate pts starting on long term adt.

Yes....I've had a few patients on long term steroids for organ transplants who have requested it. Most of those have gotten rejected, but I think it's a fair thing to try in those patients.

Out of pocket, it's $900. How much are you paying your MAs that they can pay for it in cash?
Oh I've got no doubt it didn't go through the bottom-shelf insurance plan we offer. Welcome to America where you can finance just about anything if you don't have the cash at the moment.
Do you not have patients who complain about not being able to pay for basic medications or transportation to their appointments but are using a newer iphone than you and somehow able to come up with $300/month for cigarettes?

@smq123, no one can ever be wrong in the radonc forum or learn anything new.

IT'S A THING. ALL THE TEENS ARE ON IT AND LOSING WEIGHT LIKE CRAZY AND THEN HAVING SAGGY SEX ORGIES AND EATING TIDE PODS.

We know everything. /s

• Haha
No the kids are on Tren, talk about a transforming drug...

I do think there is something to T-supplementing as you get older. Thankfully I'm not there yet.

It's true, they are using it and the results are extreme. The loss of gluteal muscle is extremely obvious. I do not know where they got it.

I don't know why I am so fixated on the logistics of this statement.

True muscle atrophy is hard to appreciate through clothes, unless those clothes are VERY TIGHT. And gluteal muscles aren't really that noticeable in the average person, because of the adipose layer that usually accompanies it. I mean, anyone who's seen gluteal muscle wasting from a corticosteroid injection can attest to how odd it looks, but it's generally not noticed until the patient actually disrobes and shows you.

Intermittent fasting works well. I do it myself and do not lose muscle mass even with occasional 72-96 hour fasts. Keep up a high protein diet and frequent weight training and you are good. Nearly everybody should be lifting weights. Very few do.

Right, but you're actively protecting your muscle mass with a high protein diet and weight training. Most patients, especially women, have no idea about this - diet advice from the 1980s is living a long, hardy life even though almost all of it is wrong. Most patients were told by their doctors in the 1990s to eat a lot of extremely low-calorie salad, with minimal emphasis on protein, and to do at least an hour of cardio for weight loss. And a lot of patients still believe and try to do this.

Oh I've got no doubt it didn't go through the bottom-shelf insurance plan we offer. Welcome to America where you can finance just about anything if you don't have the cash at the moment.
Do you not have patients who complain about not being able to pay for basic medications or transportation to their appointments but are using a newer iphone than you and somehow able to come up with $300/month for cigarettes?

Sure, but most pharmacies don't allow you to finance stuff.

I guess they could be getting them at cut-rate weight loss clinics? Although I don't know how many of them allow financing either. Plus, then some of the downsides are from irresponsible prescribing, not necessarily because the drug itself is bad.

@smq123, no one can ever be wrong in the radonc forum or learn anything new.

IT'S A THING. ALL THE TEENS ARE ON IT AND LOSING WEIGHT LIKE CRAZY AND THEN HAVING SAGGY SEX ORGIES AND EATING TIDE PODS.

We know everything. /s

Saggy sex orgies! :laugh::roflcopter::laugh::roflcopter:

A couple of low dose whole tongue radiation treatments. I guarantee long term weight loss.

• Haha
  • Love
I have no idea but from a bystander's point I have watched them go from rather large derriere to melted-butt in a couple of months. Just nuts. It can't be just fat, the gluteal muscle (large muscle), i mean it's like there's nothing there and skin covering bone. Perhaps this is just a matter of not dosing correctly during self-administration? I don't know enough to know what's going on. If this isn't happening during physician-directed weight loss with it, then I believe you but this is what I have seen.
Agree with you completely on all the other points.

They take credit cards, don't they?

Yeah, but....$900 a month, at least. On top of all other household necessities/rent/etc. AND that's assuming zero other credit card debt at baseline.
How much are you paying the MAs that they can afford credit cards with such high limits? Unless no one explained to the MAs that these medications are probably lifelong medications....

No the kids are on Tren, talk about a transforming drug...

I do think there is something to T-supplementing as you get older. Thankfully I'm not there yet.

Ozempic Face & Butt: when you are too lazy to work out and stop stuffing your face, know that Big Pharma is your friend always and forever.

Ozempic Face & Butt: when you are too lazy to work out and stop stuffing your face, know that Big Pharma is your friend always and forever.
The success rate of long term weight control by diet and exercise is something like 1-2%

Yeah, but....$900 a month, at least. On top of all other household necessities/rent/etc. AND that's assuming zero other credit card debt at baseline.
How much are you paying the MAs that they can afford credit cards with such high limits? Unless no one explained to the MAs that these medications are probably lifelong medications....
Ok, to be fair the MAs are clearly not on it. So not 100% of staff. You got me.

Dropping some effing wisdom....what we needed round here.

• Care
Dropping some effing wisdom....what we needed round here.

"effing wisdom" huh?

I'm confused if you think we had to be re-educated that Ozempic doesn't literally "melt faces"

Stand by Ozempic-butt. It's real.

I've tried it. So while I don't have the insight of a PCP, I do have the insight of a patient. Here's my perspective.

I'm 50, no medical comorbidities and don't qualify for a statin. BP is borderline.

I work out regularly, can do 40 pushups in a row and am fat. (BMI qualifies for Wegovy).

I've fluctuated +/- 30 pounds several times in the last decade. Parents are also fat (and still alive with good PS).

Talked to my wife (who is a pcp but not mine) and my PCP, who was kind enough to get samples. I have very good health insurance.

Started samples (had about 8 weeks worth). You taper up dose, but I noticed a change in appetite quickly. By 4 weeks in, I was eating much less. Ran though my 8 weeks of samples with about a 15 lb weight loss. No desire to eat in my normal way.

Some downside for me. I felt a little flat. I take a lot of joy in eating (and other things) and I think this impacted me. Also, nausea was real. I had to stop a workout early due to nausea (so while I was lighter, my exercise tolerance was not improved during this short interval).

Have not gotten insurance pre-auth for my script yet. Have been informed by pharmacy that even with pre-auth, I'm looking at a 6 week wait (weight) due to shortages.

BTW. My ass is gorgeous.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it any more real than from a gastric bypass?

Another extreme way to create rapid weight loss.
We don't typically see people mildly-to-moderately overweight undergoing gastric bypass surgery. But semaglutide is being used in this crowd. You probably aren't going to notice muscle mass changes in somebody starting out with a BMI of 50.

Anecdotally...
Being reminded to eat...
I used to take provigil for sleep issues in residency. My appetite was gone. I'd be typing notes at 10pm and suddenly feel dizzy and realize I hadn't eaten anything since 6AM, never having an urge to eat during this time. I was pretty lean with visible abdominal muscles and ribs but I promise you I did not have butt sag or rapid weight loss. Apples to oranges comparing a young man with high T to middle age women? Perhaps. I just never have seen such dramatic body transformation before in such a rapid time period. Not sure why this is triggering.

are some of you guys keeping a close eye on the gluteal area of your staff? Sure seems like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.