Wearing something on top of scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad2022

Reaction score
Are students allowed to wear something like a sweatshirt, cardigan, zip-up hoodie, etc. on top of scrubs?

Was shopping for winter clothes and suddenly got curious :rofl:

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

are you in dental school?

I imagine it depends on your school but we could wear whatever we want.

the thing is you don't really want to wear a sweatshirt on top of your scrubs when seeing pts as it will get splattered with aerosol etc. plus we wear gowns, so you would have scrubs and gown on top which would be thick.

so for us we could definitely wear a sweater or anything on top, but you probably take it off when seeing pts.

Reactions: 1 user
Are students allowed to wear something like a sweatshirt, cardigan, zip-up hoodie, etc. on top of scrubs?

Was shopping for winter clothes and suddenly got curious :rofl:

Thank you in advance!
Definitely when you're out and about in scrubs and in classes you can wear whatever you want on top but when seeing patients and doing lab work, you're usually wearing a gown or lab coat so it'd be too bulky. In those cases, I'd wear a long-sleeved undershirt so that you can still stay warm.

If you have to wear a coat due to weather, I suppose you could, but understand that you may be risking contamination transfer. You get a locker at school so use it. I can't think of any clinical professional who wore something over scrubs when meeting patients.

I don't know what students are told when it comes to wiping down your locker with sanitary wipes occasionally, but I would consider it. Especially post COVID-19.

Last edited: