Wearing an AOA pin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm automatically kind of a douchebag for asking this, but is it at all common (or even acceptable) for someone who was selected for AOA to wear the little AOA pin you get on your white coat?

Members don't see this ad.

The consensus is that your AOA skills will shine through...so no need for the pin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize I'm automatically kind of a douchebag for asking this, but is it at all common (or even acceptable) for someone who was selected for AOA to wear the little AOA pin you get on your white coat?

Haha, did you really have to ask this? You know what any attending and resident and medical student will do to you when they see that pin? Like swimming with sharks and stuffing fish heads in your speedo.

Be sure to wear it with a ribbon to make sure no one misses it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats just asking to be pimped by every resident and attending you ever encounter

nope. smart enough to get into aoa, should be smart enough not to wear the pin...

A little humility goes a long way.

Most people will know if you are AOA; you do not have to remind them. People like "top dogs" who are modest.

I have heard hot women in bars really dig the pin though. Maybe you should wear it out.

While you're at it, you should embroider your STEP 1 score on your white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least OP was smart enough to ask beforehand.

While doing a rotation where we were with students from another school, I saw someone wear one. I had no idea such a thing existed before that rotation. The guy who had it on was definitely full of himself.

While doing a rotation where we were with students from another school, I saw someone wear one. I had no idea such a thing existed before that rotation. The guy who had it on was definitely full of himself.

Did attendings/residents give him a hard time?

I had a resident give me a hard time repeatedly just because supposedly she heard I was the smartest person in the class. She told me this before my first presentation to her on rounds in front of the rest of the team and I proceeded to boot the presentation :laugh:

The geniuses in this world are ones who never have to remind everyone they are smart. Honestly if people can't tell tou are AOA quality without a visual reminder, you probably got it by mistake and should return it. This is the kind of thing that should get buried in your sock drawer and just be a nice keepsake.

Show up to the hospital like this but with your framed AOA certificate instead of a clock...

119.jpg

The geniuses in this world are ones who never have to remind everyone they are smart. Honestly if people can't tell tou are AOA quality without a visual reminder, you probably got it by mistake and should return it. This is the kind of thing that get buried in your sock drawer and just be a nice keepsake should .

Amen:thumbup:

Did attendings/residents give him a hard time?

I had a resident give me a hard time repeatedly just because supposedly she heard I was the smartest person in the class. She told me this before my first presentation to her on rounds in front of the rest of the team and I proceeded to boot the presentation :laugh:

I didn't see him interact with the attending's a lot since we mostly presented our cases to them individually. It was a large clinic with about 10 of us working. The impression I got was mostly from talking to him, but others from my group got a similar vibe.

Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.

This seemed like the perfect opportunity to use that line.

But that's not even the real question. Right lapel, or left lapel? And where do you put the Gold Humanism Honors Society pin? After all, patients want a physician that is both smart and nice, and they'll be sure to recognize the same when you put those pins on.

A lot of my peers have various pins on their lapels. To be honest I have no idea what any of them are because I've never cared enough to get close enough to read them. Odds are most people fall into this category. So I say, if you're given a pin who cares if you wear it?

We should prolly stick with the simple Rod of Asclepius then...

A lot of my peers have various pins on their lapels. To be honest I have no idea what any of them are because I've never cared enough to get close enough to read them. Odds are most people fall into this category. So I say, if you're given a pin who cares if you wear it?

They don't give you a pin for AOA, at least my school didn't. You have to buy them on the AOA website when you register. The only thing you get automatically is the certificate.

So you would have to be a double douchebag to wear the pin. You would need to be the type of douche who pays for an AOA pin, and then go to another level of douche by wearing it on your white coat.

The real question for the OP is, why not go all out and buy the AOA neck tie or bow tie while you are at it? Nothing says awesome like a med student weaing an AOA pin while sporting an AOA bow tie.

I think the only conceivable use for it would be at graduation (where everyone is decked out in various cords/pins/etc), though I dunno how med school graduations work...

Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.

This seemed like the perfect opportunity to use that line.

:laugh: I got it.

jennifer_aniston2.jpg

Make sure you introduce yourself as "Student Doctor AOA member ___" to patients too.

You guys should have all just gone DO. Everybody gets to be an AOA member.

Anyone have an AOA pin for sale? I'll buy it and wear it.

In a similar vein, I tattooed my IQ to my forehead.

But seriously, you achieved something most other students AND attendings have not. Considering that, keep the following quote in mind:

"The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut"

Be wise.

wear the pin as an attending. don't wear it as a med student.

I have never seen anyone, med student, resident, or attending, wear an AOA pin. There's just no benefit to it.

They don't give you a pin for AOA, at least my school didn't. You have to buy them on the AOA website when you register. The only thing you get automatically is the certificate.

So you would have to be a double douchebag to wear the pin. You would need to be the type of douche who pays for an AOA pin, and then go to another level of douche by wearing it on your white coat.

The real question for the OP is, why not go all out and buy the AOA neck tie or bow tie while you are at it? Nothing says awesome like a med student weaing an AOA pin while sporting an AOA bow tie.

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying the pin if one just plans to display it along with the certificate. I bought the key bc I thought it might look nice next to the certificate in a frame. But that's just my opinion

Had I gotten AOA, I'm pretty sure the certificate would've just sat around and eventually gotten lost in the shuffle. I sure as hell wouldn't drop money for AOA accessories.

Why would you wear a pin touting the American Osteopathic Association?

Why would you wear a pin touting the American Osteopathic Association?

I think someone already tried to make this lame joke above.

Anyway, yeah OP I think your question has been thoroughly answered. A resounding "No."

I was a junior AOA (elected in 1997). I forgot that I got a pin or a certificate until I read this thread. Maybe they are in my mom's attic somewhere gathering dust. Honestly, the only thing AOA ever got for me were some residency interviews.