We both want to be doctors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleil9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone is in a simular possition as me--

My husband has been accepted to a DO school, and will be attending in the fall. I also have asperations to be a doctor, and I am currently a post-bacc student working on prereqs and will take the MCAT in august and apply to my husband's school as soon as I can. So I'll be a year behind.

It's very stressful!

Has anyone been in this situation? Any of you going through this too? How are you handling it?

Thanks!
Soleil

Members don't see this ad.

(a very serious) girlfriend and I are rounding that corner...

although I am sitting on an MD waitlist, I'm preparing for LECOM in the fall.

My girlfriend on the other hand, has stats, family heritage (line of MD's) and interests of the allopathic domain only.

She's going to be applying to my waitlist school and many schools around LECOM (like Casewestern), and work things out from there.

Our plan is to get married after adjusting to medical life (i.e. 2nd or 3rd year medical school) and not make the mistakes her parents and many others do as rushing in beforehand and mal-adjusting to both marriage stresses and medical school stresses.

obviously you're past that, but if it was meant to be for you to go to the same DO school then it was meant to be (if thats what you want)... you interested in MD or DO?

and for the record I'd do a good DO school (LECOM, NYCOM, PCOM) over a bottom-rung MD school anyday (mainly because of my osteopathic interests), but I just can't pass up this waitlist if it opens up because this MD school is in top 15 best in the nation for primary care... decisions that suck....

I know how your feel.
My boyfriend and I have a long distance relationship for 1.5 years. We love each other very much. I am going to med school this year and he is applying next year (he is doing research right now). We have discussed what we would do if he doen't get into a school near me. Basically all we can do it wait for 5 years till we finish. And then what about residency?

It is stressful on us too. But I believe that the medical school witll take you under more serious consideration because obviously you are 100% sure where you wnat to go. Do you nave kids? If not, it might not be so terrible if you got in somewhere else. I know I know that is terrible, but what is 3years (he will be finishing just 3 years after you start) vs your whole life of doing what you love and knowing that you have a husband who believes that your happiness in life is important