WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on April 19th of last year and I was accepted, along with 4 others in my group. However, each application cycle is different

By the way great blog. Just read through it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By the way great blog. Just read through it.

Thank you!

I am writing it with the hope of helping and encouraging others. So far, it seems to be doing it and for that, I am thankful.

I have been flowing this discussion off and on for some time now. I have only one question to ask, what could be worse than this??? Worse than an attendance policy, worse than a overbearing course load, worse than waking up at 8 in the morning, worse than not knowing when you are going to go to bed, worse than not knowing what next years's scheduled will bring, worse than being in a 2hr lecture that could be done in 1. Whatever "worse" possible thing you could say about our schools policies, faculty, staff, administration, or the person next to you, I want you to ask yourself one thing: what could be worse than this? For me the answer is crystal clear, NOT BEING HERE!!! There would be nothing "worse" than not studying, complaining, or anything of that nature. Though there are obvious things that could be done better, in the end game we are all going to be physicians, and I certainly hope that is what we came here to do. WCUCOM has given each and everyone of us an opportunity to become a physician. That I am grateful for, as everyone else should be. What does not kill you only makes you stronger, We as a class are going to be able to handle the "real world" because going through hell only make the return that much sweeter. When we can say "i'm from a Southern Mississippi Osteopathic School" and can tell you more about the anatomy of the human body while half asleep. pissed off, and performing HVLA all at the same time, that's when we will be truly thankful for what we have had to endure. We the students of WCUCOM are being trained for the ugly side of medicine, you know, the ones that make the system work. What you make of the situation is how you will rise above it. Remember, your character is who you are when you think no one is looking, it's sink or swim, and WCUCOM has just built a flag-ship with a good view of the water, it's up to us to pay the toll to ride.

WCUCOM C/O 2015

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
have the 2nd year students been assigned any 3rd yr Rotations and how does that work? Some schools have a lottery system.

Anyone have an interview for May 21? Has anybody interviewed around then and offered a seat from previous couple classes? Thanks!

We have all been assigned to our "hub sites". These are the geographical areas that will provide the clinical experience. Basically, you will move to that area for years 3 and 4. You get to vote on where you want to go by listing your top 3 choices. A committee made up of students and faculty then assign spots based on that info. We had 90% get their 1st choice and I think the remainder got 2nd. We are also free to switch with another student if we so desire. The individual physicians have not been assigned yet, but we are told that info will be available by end of May.
Hope that helps

We have all been assigned to our "hub sites". These are the geographical areas that will provide the clinical experience. Basically, you will move to that area for years 3 and 4. You get to vote on where you want to go by listing your top 3 choices. A committee made up of students and faculty then assign spots based on that info. We had 90% get their 1st choice and I think the remainder got 2nd. We are also free to switch with another student if we so desire. The individual physicians have not been assigned yet, but we are told that info will be available by end of May.
Hope that helps

Do you happen to have the locations of the hug sites? i know there is a map on the website of the sites but it doesn't help. places with names would be very helpful for us. thank you

Hey 2016-er's! Do we have a fb page or anything yet? I'd like to start finding out who my fellow classmates are :D

Hope that helps

This is good to know, as my husband is finishing school on the coast. I'd like to do my rotations there if I can.

Can anyone from the first 2 years give a some advice on how big a hard drive I need for my laptop? I'll be supplementing it with my iPad, which is a great textbook platform. I haven't schlepped a textbook in several years. So happy for WCU's commitment to electronic media!

Can anyone from the first 2 years give a some advice on how big a hard drive I need for my laptop? I'll be supplementing it with my iPad, which is a great textbook platform. I haven't schlepped a textbook in several years. So happy for WCU's commitment to electronic media!

The one that I bought from the school has a 232 GB hard drive and I have already used about one fourth of my available free space. I do NOT have a lot of extra programs but I do have quite a few anatomy videos on my hard drive. Hope this helps.

BTW, Congratulations on your acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still trying to find a D.O to shadow before my April 20 interview date. I feel like they may nail me for that.

Otherwise: 100s of hours of community service and leadership positions..
3.33 GPA
27 on MCAT
3 years of research experience

Can't wait to check out the school. Excited about the experience and loving the idea behind osteopathic medicine more everyday.

I'm still trying to find a D.O to shadow before my April 20 interview date. I feel like they may nail me for that.

Otherwise: 100s of hours of community service and leadership positions..
3.33 GPA
27 on MCAT

Can't wait to check out the school. Excited about the experience and loving the idea behind osteopathic medicine more everyday.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. I think its more important that you have an understanding of the differences between MD & DO. Also, that you are able to convey your commitment to osteopathic medicine and how your arrived at this point. If they invited you, they are very serious. Nothing is guaranteed, but be confident and you'll be okay.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. I think its more important that you have an understanding of the differences between MD & DO. Also, that you are able to convey your commitment to osteopathic medicine and how your arrived at this point. If they invited you, they are very serious. Nothing is guaranteed, but be confident and you'll be okay.

Thanks for the tips man. Just kind of nervous. I've been on this thread and reading about osteopathy all day since I received the interview invite lol.

Was just invited to an interview, so excited.

So I've heard that the school received ~2000 applications, sent back 300 secondary applications and invited 160 for an interview for a total class size of 100 (2016). Not sure what the average MCAT or sGPA is though.

Not sure how accurate the information is.

Last edited:
So I've heard that the school received ~2000 applications, sent back 300 secondary applications and invited 160 for an interview for a total class size of 100 (2016). Not sure what the average MCAT or sGPA is though.

This would be about right. WCU-COM does NOT send out a lot of secondary applications in relation to the total number of applications.

I am interviewing on May 4 so nervous! Does anyone know the chance of the class being full by then?

Any of you guys who have been accepted get in with an MD letter? I dont have a DO letter and I'm kinda worried that might hurt my chances for my interview later this month.

Has anyone who interviewed on last week heard anything? Just curious! :D:thumbup:

Any of you guys who have been accepted get in with an MD letter? I dont have a DO letter and I'm kinda worried that might hurt my chances for my interview later this month.

Got accepted with MD letter and never shadowing DO.

Any info on what the average sGPA/GPA/MCAT scores are for the entering 2016 class. I've heard 3.5=sGPA and a mcat score of 28, and that ~75% of the seats are taken. That's just what I've heard though.

Any info on what the average sGPA/GPA/MCAT scores are for the entering 2016 class. I've heard 3.5=sGPA and a mcat score of 28, and that ~75% of the seats are taken. That's just what I've heard though.

Again, this would seem about right. I had heard that the average MCAT of our class was a 27 and with more applications for the class of 2016, I would expect it to be higher than ours.

I was told yesterday that about 70-75% of the class is full.

I got accepted even though I didn't have a DO letter or any DO experience, don't sweat it. Make sure you have a good answer to the why DO? question or the tell me what you know about Osteopathic medicine question.

I got accepted even though I didn't have a DO letter or any DO experience, don't sweat it. Make sure you have a good answer to the why DO? question or the tell me what you know about Osteopathic medicine question.
It's hard to find DO letters in Mississippi, especially where I live (the delta).

Would someone who has interviewed briefly describe what happens? Such as do you interview with three different people and are any of them blind interviews?

Would someone who has interviewed briefly describe what happens? Such as do you interview with three different people and are any of them blind interviews?

When you arrive you sign in, and attend a presentation that covers, the admissions process, the curriculum, financial aid, etc. You also get to meet the Dean. Then you receive a tour of the facilities. Afterwards, it is lunch and you have the opportunity to speak with 1st and 2nd year students. Then each attendee gets a 1-on-3 interview with the Dean of Student Affairs and two faculty members. Its totally stress-free. They let the interviewees select the interview order.

I have my interview on May 21st.

I completed my secondary in December of last year.

Happy Easter/Passover Everyone!

^ Thank you for your response. Have a Happy Easter/Passover as well!

:eek:WOW! only 5% get accepted from those who applied?

im learning more good things about the school!

cant wait to start this fall!

How feasible would it be to be car-free if you live within walking distance of the school for the first two years?

I imagine it would be a pain to get around Hattiesburg, but the necessities are relatively close enough by bus or unicycle.

:hello:

How feasible would it be to be car-free if you live within walking distance of the school for the first two years?

I imagine it would be a pain to get around Hattiesburg, but the necessities are relatively close enough by bus or unicycle.

I don't how many realistic housing options are available in the near vicinity of the school. Its mostly low-income/public housing.

A Wal Mart is not that far from WCU on Highway 49. You can get everything you need there. If you take out a meal plan from the school, then most of your meals are taken care of.

id bring a car if i were u. i will be doing the same. i didn't see any buses while i was there. and i wouldnt count on them either.

hurt me

id bring a car if i were u. i will be doing the same. i didn't see any buses while i was there. and i wouldnt count on them either.

There is one route that passes in front of the school that runs from 6:30AM-5:30PM on an hourly basis. It passes Greerbriar apartments, Forrest General and Walmart.

I do not know how reliable it is or how much it costs, but it is good to know there is at least one bus that passes by. I didn't see them either, but a local told me they are all right! :luck:

Route Map and Time Table
http://www.hattiesburgms.com/images/stories/FedPrograms/HCT/hct_route2.gif

Hattiesburg does in fact have a bus system, and I believe the route passes by WCU. I rode a bike the whole time I attended USM, but I don't know if that would be feasible at WCU because of where it is located. I plan to live near Winn Dixie, so I'll be drivIng my cute, old, paid-for car :)

WHoah! Those stats are way inflated. The average MCAT to UMMC is 28, im guessing its about 24 for WCU. They do admitt a lot of applicants, the school is young and they have trouble filling up the class. I know peole try to put their school on a pedastal but come on.

:eek:WOW! only 5% get accepted from those who applied?

im learning more good things about the school!

cant wait to start this fall!

Also ridiculous.

WHoah! Those stats are way inflated. The average MCAT to UMMC is 28, im guessing its about 24 for WCU. They do admitt a lot of applicants, the school is young and they have trouble filling up the class. I know peole try to put their school on a pedastal but come on.

Your key word is GUESS and you have no clue, bud!

If you think we have trouble filling up our class, then you are wrong. They fill up the class slowly and on purpose.

Well like I said these are numbers that I have heard from another student. I don't believe they are as inflated as you may think. The link below is a presentation made by the dean of the school. According to it:

C/O 2014:
GPA: 3.4 | MCAT: 24.6

C/O 2015:
GPA: 3.4 | MCAT: 26

An average MCAT score of 28 for the class of 2016 is very well possibly. Maybe the sGPA that i was given is a bit high. And I'm pretty much sure they don't have a problem filling up the seats!

Source: mphca.businesscatalyst.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=93294

In case you haven't noticed, all med schools are relatively difficult to gain acceptance into. UMMC is far from perfect and not exactly picky relative to other med schools. Their main preference is a MS resident under 35. I didn't like what I saw when I interviewed there.

Well like I said these are numbers that I have heard from another student. I don't believe they are as inflated as you may think. The link below is a presentation made by the dean of the school. According to it:

C/O 2014:
GPA: 3.4 | MCAT: 24.6

C/O 2015:
GPA: 3.4 | MCAT: 26

An average MCAT score of 28 for the class of 2016 is very well possibly. Maybe the sGPA that i was given is a bit high. And I'm pretty much sure they don't have a problem filling up the seats!

It would make sense that any DO school could have equal and higher sGPA then MD schools because of the grade replacement in AACOMAS.