Wayne vs. OSU *does rank matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... I know there are a million of these but I feel I have to ask...

Today I was accepted to OSU... which is supposedly ranked higher than Wayne. Does rank really matter? I still feel like it would be best for me to go to wayne regardless....

-I really would like to stay closer to home to be close to my mom (brain cancer/recently divorced by my stepdad) and my fiance (will be transfering UMich undergrad).

-I currently plan to practice in midwest (most likely MI).

-I liked both schools... and I haven't been able to tell much from there matchlists, although I can't find a list saying where Wayne grads have been going, I assume OSU grads are going to "better/higher ranked" places....

OSU matchlist: http://medicine.osu.edu/currentstudents/support/resmatch/index.cfm
Wayne matchlist:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4731

Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know very much about either of those schools, but it would seem that with your personal/family situation and goals, wayne might be the best choice for you. i really think school is what you make of it, and if you think you would be happier personally at wayne then don't let rankings dissuade you. good luck w/ your decision!

Does it matter? Maybe. Does it matter enough to count even count for 1/10 as much as either of your other reasons? No way. Do what is going to make you happy. In the end, everyone gets the same degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
fat girl or thin girl, Does Penis size matter?

As an incoming OSU student (who chose OSU over several more highly ranked places BTW) I would love to see you in the fall. That said, I think it is pretty obvious from your post that your personal situation would be better at Wayne and that you want to go there. It's not like you have to choose between Harvard and Wayne, and even if that were the case your individual performance in med school would outweigh any prestige perks, as is certainly true regarding this decision. Good luck.

thanks guys for your encouragement... i just hate these decisions.

I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify spending an additional $80k. I'd rather spend it on a sweet ride.

Besides, you and your gf would need to break up, no respectable wolverine would ever date a buckeye.

It sounds like you would be much happier at Wayne, and I couldn't possibly think of any reason more valid than yours for wanting to stay in that area. You absolutely need to be happy, because if you pick OSU b/c of better rankings but then end up miserable because of your location, you won't do well in school, which totally negates the ranking.

nala said:
It sounds like you would be much happier at Wayne, and I couldn't possibly think of any reason more valid than yours for wanting to stay in that area. You absolutely need to be happy, because if you pick OSU b/c of better rankings but then end up miserable because of your location, you won't do well in school, which totally negates the ranking.

thanks for the good advice... i appreciate the support... and to drew: you sure it isn't the other way around? :laugh:

If I were you (speaking as another pre-M1), I'd go to Wayne. In addition to the factor of your mother and fiance (which I think is reason enough to stay in MI), I don't think that the ranking issue is necessarily the most important thing for your goals if you're planning to practice in MI. Wayne will give you more opportunities to make connections locally than if you were to go to an out of state school, and it is helpful to do your residency in the area where you want to eventually practice. Wayne may not have a particularly prestigious reputation nationwide (probably because it favors instaters so much) but it certainly seems to have a good reputation within the state for the clinical rotations at the very least. I don't think that anyone would dispute that you can get a solid education there.

I think ddmoore meant to say that no Wolverine should date. :thumbup: :laugh:

ddmoore54 said:
I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify spending an additional $80k. I'd rather spend it on a sweet ride.

Besides, you and your gf would need to break up, no respectable wolverine would ever date a buckeye.

It matters! Esp if you want a competitive program (ent, optho, derm). They have big name docs at OSU that WILL help you with the match. Example, Dr. Shuller is a huge name in ENT at OSU. Result: 100% students trying to match into ENT matched!! Plus, OSU is a great school. I loved it there!

I'll support this point that many have made about the respect that people have for Wayne's clinical experiences with a joke told to me by a U. Michigan educated, U. Michigan employed surgeon -

A residency director, as part of interviews, has three med students look at a patient, and asks them what the patient has -

The first student, a U. Michigan grad says - "Well, I've never seen this before, but here's the pathophys involved, here are 10 papers on the disease, but I really have no idea what to do for it."

The second student, a Wayne grad says- "I've seen a hundred or more cases of this in the past two years, I'm not sure what its called or what causes it, but this is how you treat it and make the patient better . . ."

The third student, a Michigan State grad says - "Well, I've never seen this before, and I have no idea what it could be, but man I sure do feel sorry for that guy"

So, it is a cheap shot at Michigan State, but his point to me was that the clinical education is excellent at Wayne, and you shouldn't discount the value that it has to those in and out of the state of Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Wayne.

I am graduating this year and I know that we send people to great places. Like others have said the city of Detroit may be a bit of a detractor but if you are from the area then you are used to it and may even be proud of the area (like I am). Think about this...Detroit and the surrounding suburbs have a population of aprox 5 million people. Wayne is the ONLY medical school that serves these people, you get to work with the best doctors at over 10 area hospitals. I would put that up against ANY other medical school in the country. As far as match is concerned we have sent people all over the country into very competitive specialities and highly regarded programs. Especially if you want to do a residency in the Detroit area (which there are great ones) then Wayne is the school for you.

The only way that going to OSU would be of benefit would be if you had a deep seeded desire to do some extremely competitive speciality at an Ohio residency program. Otherwise there is no reason to leave your Mom and fiance behind.

Plus the Buckeyes are a bunch of cheating bastards. Jim Tressel pays his players. Go Blue. :laugh:

Dr.Evil1 said:
Go to Wayne.

Plus the Buckeyes are a bunch of cheating bastards. Jim Tressel pays his players. Go Blue. :laugh:

Hear, hear. The Buckeyes blow; even with Troy Smith and that crazy Teddy Ginn.

Steve_muffinman said:
It matters! Esp if you want a competitive program (ent, optho, derm). They have big name docs at OSU that WILL help you with the match. Example, Dr. Shuller is a huge name in ENT at OSU. Result: 100% students trying to match into ENT matched!! Plus, OSU is a great school. I loved it there!

Do you mean Dr. Sullivan by chance?

your mom has brain cancer and she just got divorced. if you are a good son then yes stay.
but say your mom moves on and she is not that sick anymore, then I'd say go to ohio state. I love wayne and everything, but some residency programs discriminate against us. I am not saying you will be limited to primary care, but top programs, like harvard and university of michigan, probably won't take you. they probably won't take a kid from ohio state either

I'll get right to the point: Wayne.
I had to make a decision on whether to go to Iowa or to remain in Michigan and I asked myself, where do I want to practice? In MI. Where is my family and friends and support system? In MI. Where will tuition be cheaper? MI.

I would have been happy in either place, but in the end it was all the extras that made me decide to stay here and go to Wayne.

mendel121 said:
A residency director, as part of interviews, has three med students look at a patient, and asks them what the patient has -

The first student, a U. Michigan grad says - "Well, I've never seen this before, but here's the pathophys involved, here are 10 papers on the disease, but I really have no idea what to do for it."

The second student, a Wayne grad says- "I've seen a hundred or more cases of this in the past two years, I'm not sure what its called or what causes it, but this is how you treat it and make the patient better . . ."

The third student, a Michigan State grad says - "Well, I've never seen this before, and I have no idea what it could be, but man I sure do feel sorry for that guy"
I was told a similar joke/story, same punchlines, but mine was by a MSU grad :)

logos said:
Do you mean Dr. Sullivan by chance?

no, he got it right, though just misspelled:
Dr. David E. Schuller

dancinjenn said:
I'll get right to the point: Wayne.
I had to make a decision on whether to go to Iowa or to remain in Michigan and I asked myself, where do I want to practice? In MI. Where is my family and friends and support system? In MI. Where will tuition be cheaper? MI.

I would have been happy in either place, but in the end it was all the extras that made me decide to stay here and go to Wayne.

that's kinda of ironic.. iowa is another school that i have been debating over. I did research out there over the summer at the medical school and really liked the city and the med students that i stayed with. however, iowa is farther from me than columbus and more expensive. i believe ohio would give instate tuition after the first year.

However, I am 95% sure I am going to wayne. My mom has been doing relatively great for the last couple years since the surgeries (1 of these done at wayne), but it is just one of those things where you never really know what tomorrow holds. I think I would be happier closer to home-- it is just so hard after being premed so long. I think it can mess up one's priorities in life... so i appreciate the support.

salsadoc44 said:
no, he got it right, though just misspelled:
Dr. David E. Schuller

Guess you're right...just looked it up on the website....he is an ENT/cancer guy. The guy I thought he was talking about is a famous ENT/ facial plastic surgeon.

If for no other reason than your mothers illness, stay near home and go to Wayne. The worry about your mother could interfere with your study. Better to mitigate the worry and do well in school.