Wayne State/DMC vs. Henry Ford vs. Loyola + Ranking programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrizzlyBeard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...two questions here.

I am scheduling my 4th year electives and I am debating between one of these 3 to schedule my audition rotation. I'm a DO student from Kalamazoo, MI which is in between the two cities (Chicago and Detroit). I know these three programs are historically DO friendly. I don't really have a preference between the two cities I just want to give myself an opportunity to train at the best program. I only have one month available (October) to "audition" for Neurology. My inclination is Loyola because it is a UNIVERSITY program.
I don't have any specific branch of neurology that I want to go into. Does anyone have any insight at all of these programs vs. eachother? If not what should I look at to make an objective decision.

My second question is how valuable are US NEWS rankings when it comes to considering places for RESIDENCY? Aren't those rankings mostly for patients? Also.. this website ranks departments by NIH funds (http://www.residentphysician.com/Neurology_rankings.htm). How accurate is that?

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...two questions here.

I am scheduling my 4th year electives and I am debating between one of these 3 to schedule my audition rotation. I'm a DO student from Kalamazoo, MI which is in between the two cities (Chicago and Detroit). I know these three programs are historically DO friendly. I don't really have a preference between the two cities I just want to give myself an opportunity to train at the best program. I only have one month available (October) to "audition" for Neurology. My inclination is Loyola because it is a UNIVERSITY program.
I don't have any specific branch of neurology that I want to go into. Does anyone have any insight at all of these programs vs. eachother? If not what should I look at to make an objective decision.

My second question is how valuable are US NEWS rankings when it comes to considering places for RESIDENCY? Aren't those rankings mostly for patients? Also.. this website ranks departments by NIH funds (http://www.residentphysician.com/Neurology_rankings.htm). How accurate is that?

Thank you so much!!

Not sure what you mean by "UNIVERSITY" program as Wayne State is definitely a University. Please explain.

The two places are very different. Wayne State in the downtown of a large city. Loyola being in the outskirts of Chicago and more of a suburban environment. I would surmise that Wayne State would have a greater variety of pathology due to the indigent population. Loyola is a Catholic institution and Wayne State is a public institution if that matters to you.

For me living anywhere in Chicago area beats anywhere in the Detroit area.

wayne and ford are probably the same.

loyola was great when i interviewed there but i think they are considered the lowest in Chicago.