Wayne State Class of 2011 thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rohen's color atlas of anatomy.

Is worth its weight in gold, especially during those few days before each anatomy exam when the lab is sealed.

Members don't see this ad.

What is considered the "Wayne Med Dorm" again? Which apartment do a lot of students live in?

Appreciate all the info fun8.

To MS1 or MS2 at wayne, what textbooks did you use that you had to have in first and second year. I understand there are tons of notes provided in each block that should suffice but other than those, any must have textbooks that you def recommend.

NOTE: I am not starting to prepare for the USMLE and/or clinical rotations but I will have a chance to buy some books cheap and thought I might as well...

You can usually pick up most of these books at the booksale at the beginning of the year. First year: Netter's, the biochem book which they acutally used instead of notes for our class - have heard from current 1st-ies that it is still a great book to help clarify, and a First Aid. That is all I ended up using.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is considered the "Wayne Med Dorm" again? Which apartment do a lot of students live in?

perhaps the university towers and/or the towers??? these are both on campus places to live. The university towers, i think, is the the one that is more like dorms (jail cells, no kitchens, few windows, small, meal plan). The towers are more like apartmens (bigger, big windows, kitchen... but no dishwasher). The towers is a great deal ($900/month for 2 bedroom, including heat, electric, water, and internet). However, they are a little older, there are no dishwashers, and i think the washer and dryers are in the basement. If I was single, I would prob go with the towers.....

perhaps the university towers and/or the towers??? these are both on campus places to live. The university towers, i think, is the the one that is more like dorms (jail cells, no kitchens, few windows, small, meal plan). The towers are more like apartmens (bigger, big windows, kitchen... but no dishwasher). The towers is a great deal ($900/month for 2 bedroom, including heat, electric, water, and internet). However, they are a little older, there are no dishwashers, and i think the washer and dryers are in the basement. If I was single, I would prob go with the towers.....

I wasn't actually looking for WSU dorms, but just a common place that a lot of med students live in... unless you are saying that these two are where most med students live in ?

I wasn't actually looking for WSU dorms, but just a common place that a lot of med students live in... unless you are saying that these two are where most med students live in ?

i think a good number of med students live in these places... also places like riverfront, lafayette towers, riverview, millender center and a few of the others mentioned in the other thread.

If I wasn't shacked up with my girl in a house, I'd be shopping for a place in the area b/w the main and med campuses. There are a lot of apts. in older, historic buildings there. While maybe short on modern conveniences, they're tall on "character" and would give you good access to the fitness center and the best bars/cafes in the city.

The Metrotimes lists apts. and houses for rent:

www.metrotimes.com/classified/browse.asp?Class=Apartment - Detroit

Metrotimes is like the Chicago Reader, Village Voice, etc.

If I wasn't shacked up with my girl in a house, I'd be shopping for a place in the area b/w the main and med campuses. There are a lot of apts. in older, historic buildings there. While maybe short on modern conveniences, they're tall on "character" and would give you good access to the fitness center and the best bars/cafes in the city.

The Metrotimes lists apts. and houses for rent:

www.metrotimes.com/classified/browse.asp?Class=Apartment - Detroit

Metrotimes is like the Chicago Reader, Village Voice, etc.

they have the Metrotimes out in Ann Arbor... thanks for that link. I definitely want to live within walking distance of school, but I'm out of state right now and can't check any of these places out for a while...

hmmm... maybe living around greektown would be a better idea. I really need to check this out a little closer

hmmm... maybe living around greektown would be a better idea. I really need to check this out a little closer
if you have it narrowed down to downtown detroit (Rather than suburbs) just find like 10 places and then go visit them all next time you are in town. Then make a decision from there. There are a lot of good options... it is just going to come down to how much you want to spend, what amenities you cannot live without, and how "safe" you want to feel.

perhaps the university towers and/or the towers??? these are both on campus places to live. The university towers, i think, is the the one that is more like dorms (jail cells, no kitchens, few windows, small, meal plan). The towers are more like apartmens

I think this is backwards, at least according to the Wayne State housing page. University Towers is on the south side of campus, and are the new on-campus apartment buildings, built in 1995, complete with kitchen, living room, etc. The Towers are residential suites, more like your typical dorm arrangement.

I think this is backwards, at least according to the Wayne State housing page. University Towers is on the south side of campus, and are the new on-campus apartment buildings, built in 1995, complete with kitchen, living room, etc. The Towers are residential suites, more like your typical dorm arrangement.

yeah... The Towers look like the dungeons... I think I'm gonna go with the University Towers. Very close location, big windows, utilities included, cable for only $10 and free internet? Sounds pretty good to me. $758 is not bad for everything included. And professional students are on the top floors. Although 935 split between 2 people looks pretty tempting too....

yeah... The Towers look like the dungeons... I think I'm gonna go with the University Towers. Very close location, big windows, utilities included, cable for only $10 and free internet? Sounds pretty good to me. $758 is not bad for everything included. And professional students are on the top floors. Although 935 split between 2 people looks pretty tempting too....

yeah i prob mixed them up. the ones that are closer to scott hall (off from canfield) are the ones that are setup more like an apartment... i think they are older, but I would still prefer them. As I said, I would be there if I was single. They may not be as nice as some of the other places downtown, but they are close to the med center and are a good price in comparison to other places. i might be wrong about the free internet... i am only going by what my friends who live there have told me.... they met each other at the other dungeon towers building during first year and are now sharing a 2 bedroom at the other apartment towers place. they def prefer this place closer to scott hall than the other dungeon one.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i prob mixed them up. the ones that are closer to scott hall (off from canfield) are the ones that are setup more like an apartment... i think they are older, but I would still prefer them. As I said, I would be there if I was single. They may not be as nice as some of the other places downtown, but they are close to the med center and are a good price in comparison to other places. i might be wrong about the free internet... i am only going by what my friends who live there have told me.... they met each other at the other dungeon towers building during first year and are now sharing a 2 bedroom at the other apartment towers place. they def prefer this place closer to scott hall than the other dungeon one.

yeah, these ones are about 2-3 blocks west/southwest on Canfield of Scott Hall. They are apartment style and were built in 1995. It looks like they are connected to the WSU network, so the fast connections would be sweet :thumbup:

Is there anything in that area? A drug store, CVS? Grocery store? Cafe? Bar? Restaurant? Anything?

yeah, these ones are about 2-3 blocks west/southwest on Canfield of Scott Hall. They are apartment style and were built in 1995. It looks like they are connected to the WSU network, so the fast connections would be sweet :thumbup:

Is there anything in that area? A drug store, CVS? Grocery store? Cafe? Bar? Restaurant? Anything?

i am not good with downtown stuff... at least outside of greektown and a couple other areas since i have lived out of detroit. there are some cafes and restaurants in the general area (~1 mile or less). I believe their is a drugstore down the street a ways (~1-2miles). There is a grocery store somewhere close by, but my friends say it is "ghetto" so they drive 20-30 mins to a meijer. That is the other downside too... the nice grocery stores are in the burbs. hopefull some other wayne people that live downtown will be able to give you some better answers.

I'm an undergraduate student at WSU. There are restaurants near campus. There is also a CVS near campus.

I'm an undergraduate student at WSU. There are restaurants near campus. There is also a CVS near campus.

thanks... I'm also wondering how the walk from campus to the Comerica park area is...

there is a rumor they are building a nice grocery store somewhere downtown. i heard maybe by eastern market. there are some nice lofts on woodward a little south of commercia park you may want to check out. they are prob a little more expensive though. as far as the walk to commerica from the southwest corner of campus (meaning harper hospital) prob like 10 min. it is about two blocks down woodward. as far as from scott hall. it general takes me about 5 min to get between the two points so about 15 minutes. depending tunnels or outside.

at about 2am might be a little shady. 2 pm you're fine. the area south of mack (south boundry of campus) to 75 gives off not the safest feeling in the nighttime. cab would prob be the way to go.

thanks... I'm also wondering how the walk from campus to the Comerica park area is... at around 2 am or so ? ;)

although i would not recommend it, i have walked that walk at 1-2am. i didn't have any problems that i recall (i was in an altered state), but i was with a group of people..........

as far as the walk to commerica from the southwest corner of campus (meaning harper hospital) prob like 10 min. it is about two blocks down woodward. as far as from scott hall. it general takes me about 5 min to get between the two points so about 15 minutes. depending tunnels or outside.

Having walked from the DMC to Ford Field (essentially behind Comerica Park) it's a bit farther than that.
As memory serves it was a brisk 15 minute walk, if you took your time is would be more like 20 min.
And is certainly significantly more than "two blocks down woodward" - probably more like ~15 blocks (although I didn't bother to count 'em).

Also, I think that the southwest corner of campus is more accurately defined at RIM (Rehab. Inst. of Mich) - accessable through the basements, not that I have actually ever been there.

There's an ass load of good bars and restaurants within a five block radius of University Towers: Cass Café, Bronx Bar, Twingo's, Traffic Jam, Motor City Brewing Works, Honest John's, Majestic Café/Magic Stick (get yr 9 ball on there). And I've got more.

Best places for coffee are right there too: Avalon, Amsterdam Espresso.

Not many grocery stores, though. Goodwell's, next door to Avalon and a Marxist bookstore on Willis b/w 2nd and Cass, is small but sells all/mostly organic. The nearest supermarket/pharmacy/Blockbuster (does anyone go there anymore?) is on corner of Warren and the Lodge. That's probably the one someone called "ghetto". F*ckin' haters! Other than that, the closest is probably in Dearborn (Farmer Jack on Mich Ave and Greenfield).

You can walk down Woodward to Comerica Park. You're good to go there anytime if you're with another dude/group. Go by bike and y're untouchable.

There’s an ass load of good bars and restaurants within a five block radius of University Towers: Cass Café, Bronx Bar, Twingo’s, Traffic Jam, Motor City Brewing Works, Honest John’s, Majestic Café,/Magic Stick (get yr 9 ball on there). And I've got more.

Best places for coffee are right there too: Avalon, Amsterdam Espresso.

Not many grocery stores, though. Goodwell’s, next door to Avalon and a Marxist bookstore on Willis b/w 2nd and Cass, is small but sells all/mostly organic. The nearest supermarket/pharmacy/Blockbuster (does anyone go there anymore?) is on corner of Warren and the Lodge. That’s probably the one someone called “ghetto”. F*ckin’ haters! Other than that, the closest is probably in Dearborn (Farmer Jack on Mich Ave and Greenfield).

You can walk down Woodward to Comerica Park. You’re good to go there anytime if you’re with another dude/group. Go by bike and y’re untouchable.

so here's a new question... how soon do I have to act to find a decent place downtown in places like UTowers?

so here's a new question... how soon do I have to act to find a decent place downtown in places like UTowers?

my wife and i are moving in may/june and we have been checking into a few other places in downtown detroit.. places with dishwasher/washer and dryer and these places seem to want at least 30 day notice... they get a list of people moving out 30 days in advanced. So you probably will want to start looking for someting 2-3 months in advanced, then plan to settle on something 1-2 mo. before you want to move in.

There's a Rite Aid (just like CVS) across the street from U Towers on Woodward. The closest CVS is at Warren and Brush (or is it John R?). You really are set for restaurants and bars.

There's also a bowling alley in the Majestic complex (w/the Majestic Cafe and Magic Stick).

There's a Rite Aid (just like CVS) across the street from U Towers on Woodward. The closest CVS is at Warren and Brush (or is it John R?). You really are set for restaurants and bars.

There's also a bowling alley in the Majestic complex (w/the Majestic Cafe and Magic Stick).

sounds good... I'm pretty much 100% sure on living in U Towers... I've been reading up a lot on "Midtown" and it sounds great. :thumbup:

So, as for Detroit, I've heard great things about the U towers, Riverfront, and the Lafayette Pavillion. Anyone else hear anything? From previous discussion, it sounds like U Towers is close to a lot of restaurants and bars and close to school. Riverfront has a great view. U Towers has a lot of med students? Anyone considering living at any of those?

What about in Royal Oak? The only apartments that I know of are from that booklet they gave us at interviews. And so far I only know of them. Royal Oak seems like a nice place to be.

Where do med students hang out after exams or even on the weekends if there is time?

When do you think they'll have the roommate list available? It's due soon right?

I guess I am getting antsy :)
-A

So, as for Detroit, I've heard great things about the U towers, Riverfront, and the Lafayette Pavillion. Anyone else hear anything? From previous discussion, it sounds like U Towers is close to a lot of restaurants and bars and close to school. Riverfront has a great view. U Towers has a lot of med students? Anyone considering living at any of those?

What about in Royal Oak? The only apartments that I know of are from that booklet they gave us at interviews. And so far I only know of them. Royal Oak seems like a nice place to be.

Where do med students hang out after exams or even on the weekends if there is time?

When do you think they'll have the roommate list available? It's due soon right?

-A

IMHO, lafayette towers is nicer than lafayette pavillion. LT seems better kept up in lobby and in rooms, parking is cheaper, and there are some better views from LT. Heat was included at both places and rent was comparable. Also, there seems to be better security at LT- you must talk to security guard to park at LT if you do not live there. The only thing LP had over LT was that air conditioning is included.

LT and LP are a little nicer than UT (bigger and a little nicer rooms, dishwasher, better views, more secure), but they are more expensive and farther from the med school. UT is like a 10 min walk/2min drive while LT and LP are about 5-10min drive.

-A

I sent out my application to U Towers yesterday. There were a lot of med students there, it seemed like. It's about a 5-7 minute walk (about a 1/4 mile with one light) to Scott Hall, which is great... I'm trying to figure out where all the med students hang out after exams, too... although with a class size of 300, I'm sure there are a few different get-togethers going on after each exam

I sent out my application to U Towers yesterday. There were a lot of med students there, it seemed like. It's about a 5-7 minute walk (about a 1/4 mile with one light) to Scott Hall, which is great... I'm trying to figure out where all the med students hang out after exams, too... although with a class size of 300, I'm sure there are a few different get-togethers going on after each exam

every day of orientation week there is a party at a diff bar in the detroit/royal oak area. after each exam (years 1 and 2) there is a class party at a royal oak or detroit bar. I do not typically go to these, but it is good to go to the ones during orientation week to meet people. perhaps 1/3 of class goes to the post exam parties? the rest of the class hangs out with their smaller group of friends from class and/or family.

I prefer to watch bad television after tests, often with a bowl of popcorn and a can of diet coke... *bliss*

*crickets*

I want the alternate list to start moving...

doesn't it not start moving until after may 15. when you can only 1 pending acceptance.

*crickets*

I want the alternate list to start moving...

i thought u already had your acceptance at wsu or are you talking about other schools?

i thought u already had your acceptance at wsu or are you talking about other schools?

I have an acceptance already. And I'm coming to Wayne. I just want this thread to pick up and I'm hoping the alternate movement will get some people in here.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now :(

Hey UMP,
I haven't been on here forever. I too am looking for living arrangements. I think I want to either be in riverfront, lafayette towers, millender, or somewhere in royal oak. I'm actually getting nervous because I want a roomate and am nowhere near close to even attempting to find one. The list is supposed to be due May 7th so hopefully they release it then. I have to have a roomate and I need time to find one. I'm excited to get my own place actually.

I've sent out an application to U Towers, I want to get a one bedroom from them but they have a waiting list... so I don't know. I'll see who's on the roommate matchlist, I guess. Anything new with you tinker?

I just want this thread to pick up and I'm hoping the alternate movement will get some people in here.

One word: Facebook...

Okay, some more words: not a lot happening there, but theres at least some (if you haven't been on). I noticed that once that link was offered, it got really quiet over here.... search for "wayne state university school of medicine: class of 2011"... I would give you the link but don't know what it really is. You might find some more action over there.

One word: Facebook...

Okay, some more words: not a lot happening there, but theres at least some (if you haven't been on). I noticed that once that link was offered, it got really quiet over here.... search for "wayne state university school of medicine: class of 2011"... I would give you the link but don't know what it really is. You might find some more action over there.

yeah, I'm on there... even less action there. Guess we're all face to face people ;)

Hey fun8stuff,

Thanks for being in this forum. We must seem like real douche bags. I was just in the pre-allo forum...those pre-med applicants are kind of annoying to me now.

Hey everyone,

Anyone going to be in town this summer? We should go to a Tiger's game or something...

Hey fun8stuff,

Thanks for being in this forum. We must seem like real douche bags. I was just in the pre-allo forum...those pre-med applicants are kind of annoying to me now.

Hey everyone,

Anyone going to be in town this summer? We should go to a Tiger's game or something...

hey, no prob. i had these same types of questions when i was at your stage of the game. however, i have not surfed the pre-allo forums since i started med school for the same reason you mentioned!

speaking of facebook, i just realized i went to high school with one of the guys who is a memeber of the wsucom class of 2011 group (the guy from central). perhaps one you guys is him since there are only 5 guys in the group :confused:

hey, no prob. i had these same types of questions when i was at your stage of the game. however, i have not surfed the pre-allo forums since i started med school for the same reason you mentioned!

speaking of facebook, i just realized i went to high school with one of the guys who is a memeber of the wsucom class of 2011 group (the guy from central). perhaps one you guys is him since there are only 5 guys in the group :confused:

Not me, but coincidences are nice. :)

By the way, it looks like there will be a lot of type-A females around next year. Should be interesting... I'm just glad I have an only minorly crazy one already.

Not me, but coincidences are nice. :)

By the way, it looks like there will be a lot of type-A females around next year. Should be interesting... I'm just glad I have an only minorly crazy one already.

You can really tell that from facebook? ... although any female going in to medicine could be considered Type A...

You can really tell that from facebook? ... although any female going in to medicine could be considered Type A...

the majority of people in medical school are type-a personalities. it's insane!! this was one of the first things i noticed.

the majority of people in medical school are type-a personalities. it's insane!! this was one of the first things i noticed.

I think I was type-B until I decided to go to med school... I stress out about too much stupid crap nowadays :scared:

I think I was type-B until I decided to go to med school... I stress out about too much stupid crap nowadays :scared:

you and me both... although, i do not think i am as bad as some of my med school friends! i think i was at my height of type-a personality around the time of the mcat, throughout the application process.... after mid-way through first year med school, this began to decrease... but i think i am the exception.. i have seen some people switch from b to a!