Waterloo 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who were admitted!
Looks like I'm on the waitlist. Anyone know the chances of getting in from the waitlist? When would they let me know, if I get accepted? o_0
I saw someone post that they were number 11 on the wait list one year and they were accepted! Good luck to you! As for timing, it really depends on how quickly people let them know that they are not accepting their spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Guess what you made it! We are the orientation committee for the Class of 2020! CONGRATULATIONS! We are so excited for you to be joining our big optom family this September! We have a facebook group set up for you guys to meet your new classmates/roomies (organize housing), post any questions you may have about coming to Waterloo, as well as anything else you can think of! Please join only if you have been accepted as the information will only be relevant to those coming to Waterloo this September. We can't wait to meet you all, and welcome to the exciting journey that is UW Optometry!

P.S. if you do not use Facebook, It is suggested that you either reactivate your account or make one just to join this group even if you don't do anything else on it. All of your first year communications with your classmates will be through your own class Facebook group.

Karan, Kat, and Katrina

Optometry 2020 Orientation Co-Chairs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/991633007595689/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who were admitted!
Looks like I'm on the waitlist. Anyone know the chances of getting in from the waitlist? When would they let me know, if I get accepted? o_0
They compile a list of like 25-30ish applicants for the wait list I think? So when they send you your spot you'll get an idea. The number of people that get called on the wait list varies from year to year, sometimes 10ish decline, sometimes 5ish, one year like 25+ declined and they had to get into the denied applicants (though that was one year only so I wouldn't count heavily on that.

If they have a spot for you, they will call you. They'll ask for your phone number along with what they ranked you. Then when you're up, they'll call you and say there's a spot available and if you want to take it. It might be a while before they get started calling the wait list, I think they waited at least until the deadline for everyone to accept or decline their offers (3 weeks? I'm sure the admitted will confirm). I didn't find out until around a month later (and I was 5th on the wait list). It can be a hard wait, but I'm here now :D. Also, there's something about being called to be told the good news that makes it feel much more special than just reading the letter, or seeing it on Quest if that's any consolation.

That being said, congratulations to the rest of you, we'll be seeing you all next year!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I am waitlisted, and it would be very encouraging if you could let us know if you (or someone you know) will be declining their offer. Thanks!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I am waitlisted, and it would be very encouraging if you could let us know if you (or someone you know) will be declining their offer. Thanks!

I will be declining my offer soon, best of luck!

After a rollercoaster of a March, I've been denied.
See y'all at sunshine NOVA if you've also been accepted there <3
Congrats to everyone :) We're all gonna be bright future ODs!!

CLV is super pricey :( Is anyone else planning on looking at off-campus housing? Waterloo/Kitchener rent is less than $500 a month, on average, all inclusive.

Members don't see this ad :)
CLV is super pricey :( Is anyone else planning on looking at off-campus housing? Waterloo/Kitchener rent is less than $500 a month, on average, all inclusive.
I think I'm going to be looking for a place off campus, I've lived in res for 3 years and I'm getting a little tired of it! I'm going to do more research this weekend to see what kind of options there are

Does anybody know what average we have to maintain now that we got a conditional acceptance? Also, I remember during the interview orientation presentation, they mentioned getting a student line of credit with ScotiaBank, anybody have any info on that?

Does anybody know what average we have to maintain now that we got a conditional acceptance? Also, I remember during the interview orientation presentation, they mentioned getting a student line of credit with ScotiaBank, anybody have any info on that?

On the Waterloo website under frequently asked questions for optometry it says you need a 75% overall average to be considered for admission. I'm sure it will tell us in the letter that is being mailed out.

The Scotia Professional Student Plan can be applied for online. It includes a line of credit, waived visa fees and other discounted service fees. This is for students in professional programs such as optometry, medicine and dentistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

Is anyone else (aside from 'rejuvenation') considering declining their offer of admission or know someone that is? I'm sorry but I'm feeling very anxious and I want to get a feel for if the waiting list will be moving faster or slower this year :confused:.

Hi!

Is anyone else (aside from 'rejuvenation') considering declining their offer of admission or know someone that is? I'm sorry but I'm feeling very anxious and I want to get a feel for if the waiting list will be moving faster or slower this year :confused:.
I just received my letter of admission on Monday, so at the least the letters are out and people will be accepting or declining soon. I will be accepting. Good luck to you and hope to see you in the fall!

I'm heading to Pacific University (didn't decide to pursue optometry until after the deadline), but I lived in WCRI https://www.wcri.coop/ and it was great. It's literally 10 minutes from the optometry building and really close by the plaza/food. It's a non-profit so the rent was a great deal. 5 minutes from the main DC library as well. There's the option for $25 a month for it come furnished as well. And they have a lot of events with free food. And utilities are included so you don't have to deal with bills (bills, bills).

Haha, I'm not paid to push them, but they were seriously my most pleasant renting experience so far. I lived in CLV in first year and while it was nice & quiet, I felt it was removed from the campus. It would be a 20 minute walk to the optometry building or 25 minutes to the library. Granted, there are university shuttle buses and public transportation included in the tuition, but I preferred the convenience of WCRI.

Does anyone know what the date is that the accepted applicants have to accept their offer before they start calling the wait list? Thanks!

Does anyone know what the date is that the accepted applicants have to accept their offer before they start calling the wait list? Thanks!
Hi,
The acceptance must be received no later than 3 weeks after March 29th, so that would be today April 19th. They should be calling people on the wait list tomorrow! Good luck!

I've cross-referenced with all the past years and it looks like it normally takes 4-5 weeks for them to either call. With the exception of 2014 :/
I'm so anxious waiting right now. Anyone else?

Hey guys! I just got a call from Waterloo!!! (accepted of course) So everyone else on the waitlist should start hearing back now as well!!!! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Has anyone else on the waitlist heard yet, I'm number five and am wondering how fast it is moving?

Congrats! Has anyone else on the waitlist heard yet, I'm number five and am wondering how fast it is moving?
#2 got called yesterday too! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any updates on how the wait list is moving?

I just received an email I was fifth on the waiting list and they have called the first three people and have there class she also said that there was potential for the waitlist to move. I am just wondering if anyone who has accepted is still waiting from other programs and may potentially end up declining if they receive another offer. Also to people in past years if they received the notice that the class was full, did many people decline after the actual deadline and spots came up? Thanks!

I just received an email I was fifth on the waiting list and they have called the first three people and have there class she also said that there was potential for the waitlist to move. I am just wondering if anyone who has accepted is still waiting from other programs and may potentially end up declining if they receive another offer. Also to people in past years if they received the notice that the class was full, did many people decline after the actual deadline and spots came up? Thanks!

There is no notice when the class is full unfortunately. They will continue to call people up until class starts if people continue to decline.

Wow! Congrats to y'all! I'd be going to either ICO or PCO :) I went to Waterloo for undergrad and I had a blast.

Canadian medical school offers were just released, and several people every year apply to both Optometry and Medicine and end up taking medicine as there is substantial overlap in the 2 careers (working with patients, healthcare, etc), so there should be some movement. I hope you get in!

Hi! Just got called, so the list is moving! Good luck to anyone waiting!

Hey previous Waterloo applicants!!

I plan on applying to waterloo this year and I just had a few questions... You know how there is the first section where it just asks you for your basic information (school/contact info) and then it tells you to submit it in order to continue on with the application and you have to pay the fee when you do that. I just want to know how long/difficult is the rest of the application before I pay the fee? Are there essay-type questions?

I actually might not apply this year and take a year off so I don't want to pay the application fee if I'm taking a year off. But if I do decide to apply this year, I want to know how much time I should give myself to complete the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!!