WashU St. Louis vs Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaim123

MD
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a cycle! I'm honored to have been accepted to both of these amazing schools, but I'm not sure how to choose what's right for me. I'm worried about moving to a place like St. Louis, but I also feel like the WashU name is going to give me more. Any thoughts on how to choose between these two schools? What factors would people look at?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about Wash U but I can tell you most Case Western students I've talked to love the curriculum and their med school still has an amazing reputation. I shadowed a resident who graduated from there as well and he said he loved it, especially that he had plenty of time to enjoy life outside of school while there.

Wash U is a way better school, and I'd 100% go there over Case.

Is the only big factor that you feel pulling you towards CWRU the location? I honestly find that odd. Saint Louis and Cleveland are fairly comparable cities, IMO. They're both cold, midwestern, sorta higher crime with some neighborhoods you don't wanna go to, similar cost of living and amenities.

If you don't have some personal reason to be in Cleveland, I'd say Wash U is an easy choice here.

Reactions: 4 users

Is the only big factor that you feel pulling you towards CWRU the location? I honestly find that odd. Saint Louis and Cleveland are fairly comparable cities, IMO. They're both cold, midwestern, sorta higher crime with some neighborhoods you don't wanna go to, similar cost of living and amenities.

If you don't have some personal reason to be in Cleveland, I'd say Wash U is an easy choice here.

Thank you for your insights! I don't have any pull towards CWRU. But I've visited Ohio many times in my life, but never Missouri. As an east coaster, I just wasn't sure how to compare the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your insights! I don't have any pull towards CWRU. But I've visited Ohio many times in my life, but never Missouri. As an east coaster, I just wasn't sure how to compare the two.

I thought wash U was in Montana lol. Also I'm pretty sure they had some issues with probation recently. Though I did some quick searching and they are considered much higher ranked than Case Western and have a broader reputation.

Do you know what the cost difference would be?

Both cities are rather affordable, and both cities are very economically diverse (which leads to a more interesting patient population). Both have the drawbacks of not being easily accessible with few flights from their airports, and higher crime than national average.

Go visit St. Louis again if you feel unsure about the city.

Both schools would give you a great education. What's your pro/con list for each school, and what's your gut feeling?

I thought wash U was in Montana lol. Also I'm pretty sure they had some issues with probation recently. Though I did some quick searching and they are considered much higher ranked than Case Western and have a broader reputation.

No, dude. WashU is in Saint Louis, Missouri. Maybe you're thinking about Saint Louis University? That school had probation issues, not WashU.

Reactions: 2 users
Both cities are rather affordable, and both cities are very economically diverse (which leads to a more interesting patient population). Both have the drawbacks of not being easily accessible with few flights from their airports, and higher crime than national average.

Both schools would give you a great education. What's your pro/con list for each school, and what's your gut feeling?

Cleveland is considered less accessible? I've never had issues finding flights flying out of Hopkins international airport. Though usually I book very early so might be why.

I haven't gotten that far yet! My gut tells me to go to WashU based on it's rank, reputation, and my professors who went there. I think my only reservation of WashU is that it's hospital system (Barnes Jewish and St. Louis Children's) doesn't seem to have the "umpf" that the Cleveland Clinic has. But I'm definitely going to go back and see!

I haven't gotten that far yet! My gut tells me to go to WashU based on it's rank, reputation, and my professors who went there. I think my only reservation of WashU is that it's hospital system (Barnes Jewish and St. Louis Children's) doesn't seem to have the "umpf" that the Cleveland Clinic has. But I'm definitely going to go back and see!

The Cleveland Clinic is, no doubt, an amazing place to do clinical rotations. Also, their 4 hours of class a day seems nice, lol.

But CWRU is still no WashU. It's not even in the same tier. You could always go to the better school and do some away rotations at competitive residency spots like the Cleveland Clinic if you don't want to miss out.

I'm an idiot... I saw the MO and thought that was the state code for Montana lol
Y do u insist on commenting on things u have no idea about then

Highly agree with this assessment, WashU is the better medical school. Definitely. If this was about somewhere ranked lower but in a more desirable location (maybe like UCSD vs WashU) I would understand the hesitation. But Cleveland and St. Louis? Location shouldn’t be a huge factor. Also, Barnes Jewish offers some of the best medical training in the country. I wouldn’t say Cleveland Clinic is that much more highly regarded in the clinical world.

Y do u insist on commenting on things u have no idea about then

Highly agree with this assessment, WashU is the better medical school. Definitely. If this was about somewhere ranked lower but in a more desirable location (maybe like UCSD vs WashU) I would understand the hesitation. But Cleveland and St. Louis? Location shouldn’t be a huge factor. Also, Barnes Jewish offers some of the best medical training in the country. I wouldn’t say Cleveland Clinic is that much more highly regarded in the clinical world.

Hey to be fair I did say initially that I don't know much about wash u lol but yeah I probably should just keep my mouth shut.

And 3toedsloth you're right I confused the two. Read an article a while back about it and mixed them up.

Reactions: 1 user

Barnes is a VERY respected hospital system. Also, it's really easy to live in a "safe" area of STL. If you're that worried, just live in St. Charles, Chesterfield, or Creve Couer. I'd say go to WashU if your gut is telling you to.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What a cycle! I'm honored to have been accepted to both of these amazing schools, but I'm not sure how to choose what's right for me. I'm worried about moving to a place like St. Louis, but I also feel like the WashU name is going to give me more. Any thoughts on how to choose between these two schools? What factors would people look at?

WashU hands down.

Reactions: 1 users

SLU has the probation issue not Washu

SLU has the probation issue not Washu
Yeah we clarified already that I was an idiot and mixed them up lol. From now on I'll stick to only discussing schools I know things about (which really limits me to like 3 schools haha)

Saint Louis has something for everyone. Visit places like Clayton, the Central West End, Downtown, the food scene, and anywhere in a 20-30 minute radius. The city is insanely accessible to everyone and you can be in a completely different world in a 30 minute drive. Plus WashU.

i am grappling with the same decision, except i have a merit scholarship at case so it is considerably cheaper :nailbiting:
In your situation, I'd strongly consider going to Case. There is a difference in prestige, but is it worth a large difference in loans? In my opinion probably not.

Disclosure: accepted to both Case and WashU, going to WashU in large part because it is cheaper for me.

Maybe I should specify that the loan is for 20 grand a year. I am financing med school with loans loans loans so i dont really know if at the end of it all 80 grand will make that much of an impact considering my massive overall debt in the scheme of things.
In your situation, I'd strongly consider going to Case. There is a difference in prestige, but is it worth a large difference in loans? In my opinion probably not.

Disclosure: accepted to both Case and WashU, going to WashU in large part because it is cheaper for me.

I chose WashU as well! See you there.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I should specify that the loan is for 20 grand a year. I am financing med school with loans loans loans so i dont really know if at the end of it all 80 grand will make that much of an impact considering my massive overall debt in the scheme of things.

20 grand loan or 20 grand scholarship? If scholarship, the 80k will be at least 160k by the time you pay it all off because of accumulating interest. If you have massive overall debt and don't plan to go into a very lucrative field, it would likely be even more than 160k. If it's a 20k loan with lower interest, that probably shouldn't affect your decision too much.

I think if you want to do academics and/or hyper-competitive specialties, WashU might be worth it. If you want to do something not particularly competitive and private practice Case will make your life financially less stressful/happier down the road without hurting your career in any substantial way.