WashU CCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaretoZlatan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any prior fellows or current fellows chime in on WashU CCM program? I wanted to know what the pros and cons are in terms of the training there.

Level of autonomy, didactics, highlights?
How does it compare to other multidisciplinary 2 year CCM programs (i.e Cooper Pitt or UMD)?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

They were extremely well regarded when I was applying to fellowships. One of the faculty in our CVICU did a year each of CCM and CV anesthesia at WashU and spoke very highly of the CCM program.

If you come from an EM background, the PD (Brian Wessman) is originally EM trained. He is active in ACEP, SCCM, and SCCA. He is very approachable and spent a solid hour talking on the phone with me when I was trying to make fellowship decisions. He didn’t have to do that; he did it because he is genuinely interested in promoting the speciality.

Yep. I went there for fellowship. It was a great place.
I felt very autonomous there; the attendings were readily available but not omnipresent. Maybe a little less so in the SICU and CVICU but that's the nature of surgical ICUs.
Didactics were good; weekly ICU lectures as well as various other departmental talks that fellows could attend based on interest.

If you have more specific questions about the program let me know.