Washington State "Doctor Tax"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me.

I distinctly remember hearing something on here about how WA state unduly and unfairly (LOL, like anything is "fair" to us) taxing its physicians.

This swam across my frontal cortex not long ago. A few Google searches failed to return a satifactorily precise answer.

Can anyone shed some light into my darkness here?

Thanks in advance.

BurnoutFox.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me.

I distinctly remember hearing something on here about how WA state unduly and unfairly (LOL, like anything is "fair" to us) taxing its physicians.

This swam across my frontal cortex not long ago. A few Google searches failed to return a satifactorily precise answer.

Can anyone shed some light into my darkness here?

Thanks in advance.

BurnoutFox.

I am not aware of a physician tax increase. But, im a lazy ass and have an accountant do my stuff, so who knows, maybe im getting hosed and dont know it.

I believe it was Oregon that was considering a broad spectrum tax for hospitals, doctors, and a whole slough of healthcare entities. Not sure if it passed or not.

A colleague I know in WA state has small tax for his gross earnings on the private practice, which 1099 people also should be getting dinged for too. Hospitals get dinged for something similar but at a lower rate. State doesn't have income tax, so they chip away where they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freezing tundra. High state income taxes. No medical malpractice reform. Independent practice for NPs. Passive aggression.

Job Posting: "Judicial hell-hole. Punitive taxes. We give your job to NPs. Great for those with a soft spot for the punishment of hard-work/success. If you love freezing tundra, we've got that, too! If not, the fires from the riots will make it feel like Florida!"

Where do I sign up!?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Job Posting: "Judicial hell-hole. Punitive taxes. We give your job to NPs. Great for those with a soft spot for the punishment of hard-work/success. If you love freezing tundra, we've got that, too! If not, the fires from the riots will make it feel like Florida!"

Where do I sign up!?

It's certainly ironic that the only things going for the state: "nice" and "clean" have gone down the toilet, at least in MSP.

It's certainly ironic that the only things going for the state: "nice" and "clean" have gone down the toilet, at least in MSP.

Yep. All of those taxes go to social programs and, apparently, bike lanes and parks.
The locals have this weird cult-like mentality, they think MSP is the greatest thing in the history of the United States. Because: craft breweries, parks, bike lanes, and good public schools (funded by 9% state income taxes).
Time off consists of hanging out with the same social circle you've had since high school, watching the Vikings, going to Twins games, or "going up North to the cabin".

I think it's a kind of Stockholm syndrome/cult like groupthink to deal with being under grey skies 5 months straight. It's borderline creepy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yep. All of those taxes go to social programs and, apparently, bike lanes and parks.
The locals have this weird cult-like mentality, they think MSP is the greatest thing in the history of the United States. Because: craft breweries, parks, bike lanes, and good public schools (funded by 9% state income taxes).
Time off consists of hanging out with the same social circle you've had since high school, watching the Vikings, going to Twins games, or "going up North to the cabin".

I think it's a kind of Stockholm syndrome/cult like groupthink to death with being under grey skies 5 months straight. It's borderline creepy.

I think the cold weather just slows the thinking. Also you are trapped indoors for 6 months of the year because to step outside means certain death. I spent a few painful months at a hospital in Bemidji so I know....

I think the cold weather just slows the thinking. Also you are trapped indoors for 6 months of the year because to step outside means certain death. I spent a few painful months at a hospital in Bemidji so I know....

After a well-known SDG in MSP got hit with a $19,000,000 malpractice verdict involving an unsupervised NP working in the ED fast track, and after seeing that the MN supreme court ruled that a physician can be held liable for malpractice involving a phone call from a midlevel, I decided to let my MN license lapse.

Reactions: 4 users

I think it's a kind of Stockholm syndrome/cult like groupthink to deal with being under grey skies 5 months straight. It's borderline creepy.
Terrible political leadership doomed MSP, but to be honest I feel like its decay is just now beginning unlike places like SF or Portland, which began 50+ years ago. Too bad, because it had a lot of unique charm to it, which has been destroyed by the woke leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm from Michigan originally (now in Southeast) but its the same thing there. Everyone talks about how its the best state ever and how they "could never leave." But 365 days a year they complain constantly about how much they hate it. Whatevs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A Tall As Old As Time

Doctor votes for high taxes on doctors, judicial abuse and anti

I'm from Michigan originally (now in Southeast) but its the same thing there. Everyone talks about how its the best state ever and how they "could never leave." But 365 days a year they complain constantly about how much they hate it. Whatevs.

LOL, was only too happy to leave Detroit for houston after I got done, especially after getting into 2 icy weather related car accidents, and hitting a deer during residency. That said, local grads did choose to stay in state as they had family. I almost did too, but only because I have immediate family on the other side of the border.

After a well-known SDG in MSP got hit with a $19,000,000 malpractice verdict involving an unsupervised NP working in the ED fast track, and after seeing that the MN supreme court ruled that a physician can be held liable for malpractice involving a phone call from a midlevel, I decided to let my MN license lapse.
I'm seeing a trend:

1-Liberal physician votes for liberal politicians that raise their taxes, promote a anti-physician work and malpractice environment, and give away their jobs to mid-levels.

2-Liberal physician gets fed up, leaves judicial hellhole, tax-punitive, anti-doctor state that he voted into existence.

3-Liberal physician arrives in red state with low taxes, physician friendly laws and where mid-levels aren't given free reign of their jobs.

4-Liberal physician, along with his fellow blue state transplants, proceeds to vote out the physician friendly politicians and replace them with liberal virtue-signaling politicians who institute high taxes, predatory anti-physician malpractice environment and give away their jobs to mid-levels.

5-Return to step one, repeat cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
LOL, was only too happy to leave Detroit for houston after I got done, especially after getting into 2 icy weather related car accidents, and hitting a deer during residency. That said, local grads did choose to stay in state as they had family. I almost did too, but only because I have immediate family on the other side of the border.
I still have family up there, too. But I moved somewhere warm which gives them an excuse to visit. It's the best of both worlds and I don't have to be depressed 9 months out of the year

Man, this forum seems to hate everything I like.

Minnesota, Pineapple on Pizza, Practicing Medicine...

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Terrible political leadership doomed MSP, but to be honest I feel like its decay is just now beginning unlike places like SF or Portland, which began 50+ years ago. Too bad, because it had a lot of unique charm to it, which has been destroyed by the woke leadership.
It makes me sad to hear this is happening to Minneapolis/St. Paul. The death of my hometown, Detroit, started this same way, with "woke" democrat-led social justice riots in the '60's, which led to the "white flight" and mass exodus of the middle and upper-middle class out of the city. The devastated the tax base. Democrat politicians (primarily Mayors Young, Kilpatrick) then continued punitive taxes, continued woke racial-revenge politics which lead to more people moving out, still decreasing tax revenues and a deep, economic depression. That led to more crime, riots, more people moving out, and continued swirling down the drain while citizens, increasingly poor, continued to vote for the same policies and Democrat party candidates. It ended in literal city bankruptcy, the Democrat mayor in jail, countless abandoned, burned out neighborhoods and the State governor having to seize control of the city, now a corpse. Detroit is the only city in the world, that I know of, that has an actual holiday strictly for the purpose of committing arson (Devil's Night, every October 30th on the eve of Halloween).

The common theme in these cities, by the Democrat politicians, seems to be to weaponize racial revenge to achieve and keep power, while catastrophic social urban decay occurs which is ignored so long as the politicians can fleece the city in the process ensuring wealth for themselves and associates. Mayor Kilpatrick is the perfect example, who presided over the final flatlining of the city. From what I hear there's an attempted resurrection in progress, out of the ashes of total urban destruction after a 58 year reign of 100% Democrat mayors. This is where I came from and to this day, this is what "Democrat" means to me: What they did to Detroit, my hometown.

As soon as I could get out, I ran out of their like I was on fire. If I had stayed longer, I might have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The common theme in these cities, by the Democrat politicians, seems to be to weaponize racial revenge to achieve and keep power, while catastrophic social urban decay occurs which is ignored so long as the politicians can fleece the city in the process ensuring wealth for themselves and associates. Mayor Kilpatrick is the perfect example, who presided over the final flatlining of the city. From what I hear there's an attempted resurrection in progress, out of the ashes of total urban destruction after a 58 year reign of 100% Democrat mayors. This is where I came from and to this day, this is what "Democrat" means to me: What they did to Detroit, my hometown.

They know that as soon as they give people jobs, money, and a sense of self-worth they won't continue their old voting patterns. The best thing to do is raise taxes on your most productive people (doctors) in order to chase them away, thus harming the social safety net.

Reactions: 1 users

Me too. Where from Michigan? I'm from Metro Detroit suburb Bloomfield Hills

some perspective
1601140561317.png

canada's top rate is 33%, but don't forget to add the territory taxes which usually top out at 20+%

This forum is great though because we get to see doctors' opinions from all over the country.

When a West Coast doctor reads the above comments, it's easy to think that many red state doctors are 'one issue voters' -- taxes. Is this true? If so, how does one justify the children separation from parents at the border, pandering to enemy leaders, fraud, sexual assault, lying and hypocrisy?

West Coast doctors don't like taxes either. Many just aren't willing overlook these atrocities when presented with two political candidates.

3, 2, 1... Go!

some perspective
View attachment 319132

canada's top rate is 33%, but don't forget to add the territory taxes which usually top out at 20+%

This forum is great though because we get to see doctors' opinions from all over the country.

When a West Coast doctor reads the above comments, it's easy to think that many red state doctors are 'one issue voters' -- taxes. Is this true? If so, how does one justify the children separation from parents at the border, pandering to enemy leaders, fraud, sexual assault, lying and hypocrisy?

West Coast doctors don't like taxes either. Many just aren't willing overlook these atrocities when presented with two political candidates.

3, 2, 1... Go!

I don’t think it’s one issue voting as much as 2 parties that both engage in some destructive behaviors and people pick their poison.

Are you willing to trade lower taxes for the absolutely atrocious political dog-whistling against minorities and idiotic religiously based policies?

Or would you rather have higher taxes and people who are less racist, but who constantly virtue signal and play petty “minority revenge” politics with non-sense like reparations.

One thing I will take issue with is physician treatment/ medicolegal climate Vs Political lean. There are both blue and red states with atrocious Med-mal climates. Look no further than the great state of Florida for evidence of that.

Personally I don’t think there’s any amount of money that can justify keeping orange cheeto in office, but am happy to split the ticket since the republicans do a not terrible job of running my home state and are less racist here.

Since Obama/Biden did all these things you mention, then yes! The choice is easy.

Reactions: 4 users
Since Obama/Biden did all these things you mention, then yes! The choice is easy.

The fact that you consider Biden and Trump on similar grounds with regards to these negative behaviors makes it clear to me. It is all about money. And after all, doctors are humans too. We are not immune to greed. I don't understand how else one could rationalize it. I also don't understand how anyone with children can ignore Trump's family separation policies. Shameful.

The fact that you consider Biden and Trump on similar grounds with regards to these negative behaviors makes it clear to me. It is all about money. And after all, doctors are humans too. We are not immune to greed. I don't understand how else one could rationalize it. I also don't understand how anyone with children can ignore Trump's family separation policies. Shameful.
The thing I don't get is that we're not talking all that much money. I think I saved maybe 2-3k after the trump tax cut, and I was above 500k that year. All the real money went to the plutocrats and the vast majority of doctors aren't even close to being that level.

I mean, the whole push to repeal the ACA is based on the fact that the uber-rich don't want to pay the extra medicare supplement tax. That's what? Like 2% on everything above 200k? I'm happy to pay that for the peace of mind that I'll be able to buy and maintain health insurance vs having to sign w/ Usuck just for the benefits.

Reactions: 3 users
Hunter Biden is not running for president. Can you help me understand how this is relevant?

Perhaps this is a rationalization of Trump's sexual escapades with prostitutes?

Is this the general sentiment of physicians in Detroit?

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy...He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey [Epstein] enjoys his social life." Donald Trump

The family separation policy was started under the Obama administration. It's also a general practice that when adults are charged with a crime, you don't hold children in the same facility due to safety concerns. Don't think the law is fair? Then push for it to be changed. The immigration laws make it difficult to repatriate minors to family members in Mexico when their parents are charged with crimes and held in this country.

I am 100% against the party that supports certain terrorist groups, and seeks to "bring down the system". I'm against Medicare-for-all. I'm against "Stakeholder capitalism". I'm against UBI. I'm against racial quotas. I'm pro 1st Amendment, and 2nd Amendment. What actual policy/platform do the Democrats espouse which would make me support them?

Hunter Biden is not running for president.
Joe Biden Has Very Weird Views on Leg Hairs, Children and Roaches

Joe Biden gave a speech to children about his "hair legs" and kids "rubbing his legs down" in the pool, and how much he loves kids "sitting on his lap," and "roaches." It's bizarre, it's insane and I didn't make it up, nor did any right wing news source. This is directly, word for word from Joe Biden's mouth, right here on video.

Last edited:
The family separation policy was started under the Obama administration. It's also a general practice that when adults are charged with a crime, you don't hold children in the same facility due to safety concerns. Don't think the law is fair? Then push for it to be changed. The immigration laws make it difficult to repatriate minors to family members in Mexico when their parents are charged with crimes and held in this country.

I am 100% against the party that supports certain terrorist groups, and seeks to "bring down the system". I'm against Medicare-for-all. I'm against "Stakeholder capitalism". I'm against UBI. I'm against racial quotas. I'm pro 1st Amendment, and 2nd Amendment. What actual policy/platform do the Democrats espouse which would make me support them?

How about not increasing the national deficit?
1601232769768.png

Joe Biden Protected Bin Laden

Joe Biden has the unique distinction of being the only person in the world to be against, and to go on record as being against, the killing of Osama Bin Laden, who, in case you are unaware, murdered 3,000 American civilians on 9/11/01.

ABC News: "Joe Biden Advised Against the Osama Bin Laden Raid"

He also allowed ISIS to flourish from 2008-2016.

Update: ISIS are all dead now.

Last edited:
How about not increasing the national deficit?
View attachment 319223

I've given up on worrying about the deficit/debt. Both parties aren't going to do a thing to balance the budget. Both want to spend like drunken sailors and promise the moon to their constituents. In reality, with the majority of the budget already eaten up by "mandatory" programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and SS, there is very little room left in the discretionary portion to balance anything.

I've given up on worrying about the deficit/debt. Both parties aren't going to do a thing to balance the budget. Both want to spend like drunken sailors and promise the moon to their constituents. In reality, with the majority of the budget already eaten up by "mandatory" programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and SS, there is very little room left in the discretionary portion to balance anything.

We could just say that SS is a bad system and get rid of it. . . . . .

(utter historical laughter and crying)

Last edited:
Joe Biden Support for Stupid Wars

Joe Biden proudly voted for George Bush's Iraq war, which resulted in the needless death of > 4,000 Americans and over 250,000 innocent women and children civilians in Iraq.

NY Times: "Joe Biden's Vote For War"

Last edited:
We could just ay that SS is a bad system and get rid of it. . . . . .

(utter historical laughter and crying)

It's a horrible system and a pyramid scheme. But old people vote, and they want "what they deserve". A better system is in Australia. The government requires all employers to put aside 9.5% of their gross salary in an approved 401K type plan. This way people have a REAL account that they control and direct, not fake money like our system.

Last edited:
Joe Biden Sexual Misconduct

Joe Biden has been accused by multiple women of being touched sexually and non-consensually, including by Tara Reade who says he raped her. I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. But I know the women are telling the truth. How do I know? Because Kamala Harris said so. In her own words: [VIDEO]

Sick.

Last edited:
Joe Biden Devastated Jobs

Joe Biden proudly voted for and defended NAFTA which destroyed my hometown of Detroit and much of the Rust Belt, sending all the manufacturing jobs overseas, leading to devastating African American unemployment in Detroit and Flint Michigan and many Rust Belt cities. They still have not recovered.

Politico: Fellow Democrats Slam Biden for Support of NAFTA

Even Biden admits NAFTA was bad and Trump's replacement is better (Mediaite, CNN).

The economy is expected to grow 32% this quarter, the greatest improvement in US history (Fed Reserve Bank ATL)

Last edited:
Joe Biden has been accused by multiple women of being touched sexually and non-consensually, including by Tara Reade who says he raped her. I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. But I know the women are telling the truth. How do I know? Because Kamala Harris said so. In her own words: [VIDEO]

It's interesting what happened. Either Kamala Harris no longer "believes all women", or she's campaigning with a person she thinks is a rapist for her own personal gain. There will be some interesting mental gymnastics when she's forced to answer that question.

Last edited:
Biden Policies Harming the Poor

Joe Biden voted to gut welfare assistance to the poor, tearing America's safety net for the poor, apart.

Slate: "How Welfare Reform Failed"

(scroll to paragraph 18 for confirmation of Biden's 'yes' vote)

Cruel, heartless.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Joe Biden Vote For 2008 Banking Crash & Great Recession

Joe Biden voted to repeat the law Glass-Steagall, which once gone allowed the banking and housing crash of 2008 leading to the Great Recession which we didn't come out of until 2016. He admits how catastrophic the result was, in this CNN video.

Oops.

Last edited:
Biden Eulogy for KKK member

Who gave the eulogy for the most openly, avowed-racist Republican KKK member of the 20th century, Strom Thurmond:

Joe Biden did. Here's some quotes from it.

Gross.

Last edited:
Joe Biden Support For Racist Segregation

In the past, racists supported segregating African American and white children into separate schools. Non-racists decided to end the practice of racist segregation and instead, supported integration to end racism in schools. One senator from Delaware openly sided with the racists to continue the racists policy of segregation and continued violation of the constitutional rights of African American children. That Senator was Joe Biden.

Politico: "How A Young Senator Turned Liberals Against Integration"

Even more gross.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.