Wash U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Zaius

Surgical/Cytopathologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently visited Wash U for an AP/CP interview. I thought it was great. The residents and faculty seemed cool, the volume seemed about the right amount with good breadth of cases, private practice types were not shunned, and the hours seemed to be decent(8-6ish on surg path). They said that the workload used to be worse, but that they've recently gotten a bunch of PA's in the last few years.

I'm really tempted to rank it high, but I know I've read posts on this board by LADOC and others talking about how Wash U is a ballbuster, totally malignant place where the residents work like dogs. People have made the analogy to MGH, which, from what I saw, didn't seem to be the case at all.

I dunno, have things changed quite a lot recently? was I on some sort of bait and switch interview?

Any input from those who have trained/interviewed there?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor Zaius said:
Hey Guys,

I recently visited Wash U for an AP/CP interview. I thought it was great. The residents and faculty seemed cool, the volume seemed about the right amount with good breadth of cases, private practice types were not shunned, and the hours seemed to be decent(8-6ish on surg path). They said that the workload used to be worse, but that they've recently gotten a bunch of PA's in the last few years.

I'm really tempted to rank it high, but I know I've read posts on this board by LADOC and others talking about how Wash U is a ballbuster, totally malignant place where the residents work like dogs. People have made the analogy to MGH, which, from what I saw, didn't seem to be the case at all.

I dunno, have things changed quite a lot recently? was I on some sort of bait and switch interview?

I interviewed there last month and I liked the program. Personally, I don't mind working hard. There is a good mix of people there and it's a good place for people, like myself, who want to be scientists/academicians and those who want to go into the community. I don't think there's any one place that "shuns" private practice types...I'd say that far majority of pathology residents in general all over the country are private practice oriented.

WashU residents work hard. The residents were upfront and honest about this. The PD told me that if you don't wanna work, this is not the right place for you...if you are willing to put in the time, you will learn some fantastic stuff. Comments like this don't bother me because stuff like this is obvious. You have to spend time if you're going to appreciate the immense amount of cool material pathology has to offer.

One resident complained about some issue regarding the lack of a digital camera and recent changes in the autopsy rotation. But you know what? I also appreciate this as well. No residency program is perfect. And when residents say that everything is hunky-dory and great, I am inclined to call shenanigans. It's like...OK, you're so putting on an act. For me, honesty and tempered enthusiasm is better received than unbridled optimism...but that's just me.

And about the comparison to MGH...maybe WashU is the MGH of the midwest. But I think, in respect to workload placed on resident shoulders, both places have markedly improved with the hiring of PAs. And both places have tons of in-house cases and lots of consult cases which residents, for the most part, get to see first hand.

Then there's the malignant issue...look, if you go to a highly prestigious institution for your training, there will be a degree of malignancy. No doubt about it. Any prestigious program that claims otherwise is lying to you.

I think you liked WashU for legitimate reasons...follow your heart!

P.S. You're gonna hear a lot of varying opinions on this forum. Don't take what's said on these forums as gospel. People will have different experiences, insights, and viewpoints.

AndyMilonakis said:
P.S. You're gonna hear a lot of varying opinions on this forum. Don't take what's said on these forums as gospel. People will have different experiences, insights, and viewpoints.

This should be posted in big bold letters on the front page of the entire site. It's worse for the premed people but exists everywhere...in particular, negative opinions must be taken very cautiously. One negative opinion means very little. Positive opinions, while slightly more helpful, are also not very meaningful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I watched numerous residents cry at WashU, for me this was an almost humerous experience and at other times quite painful to witness. That said if you survive WashU, you can almost ride that rep for life. Heck, Im still getting some miles out of my time there. I would say there arent many programs of that specific type, maybe MGH. I think in terms of sheer money making potential, I shouldve stayed there as the job offers from my friends there seem to be much higher than those on the coasts.

LADoc00 said:
I watched numerous residents cry at WashU, for me this was an almost humerous experience and at other times quite painful to witness. That said if you survive WashU, you can almost ride that rep for life. Heck, Im still getting some miles out of my time there. I would say there arent many programs of that specific type, maybe MGH. I think in terms of sheer money making potential, I shouldve stayed there as the job offers from my friends there seem to be much higher than those on the coasts.
You know LADoc00, I spent time in the residents room before lunch when I interviewed there. And yes i DID hear stories of residents having emotional breakdowns. One uniform complaint there was that residents "didn't have time to read." Personally, this doesn't bother me much since I don't learn much from reading anyway...I'd rather learn by doing.

AndyMilonakis said:
I think you liked WashU for legitimate reasons...follow your heart!

That's probably the best advice to follow. If it fits for you and you don't mind the work, go for it.

When I interviewed, I don't think they had many (if any) PA's. Having more PAs will definately help on the grossing end of things. I know in the past, grossing has been the cause of long hours there.

LADoc is right, the repuatation of Wash U will follow you everywhere and open lots of doors.

Andy, unfortunately in path, you have to read a lot. Even if you see and do quite a bit, there is so much material and extraneous information that you must supplement work experience with lots of reading. Unfortunately, I don't remember jack when I read; I wish I could learn it all by hands-on experience.

Doctor B. said:
Andy, unfortunately in path, you have to read a lot. Even if you see and do quite a bit, there is so much material and extraneous information that you must supplement work experience with lots of reading. Unfortunately, I don't remember jack when I read; I wish I could learn it all by hands-on experience.
Yeah I hear ya. I can understand where you're coming from and my idealism regarding this issue will probably fade as I venture through the first year of residency where I will know jack squat and try to keep up with things and improve my efficiency. But you've caught me in interview mode now...this is the crap I say during interviews...and people like hearing it.

Any input from those who have trained/interviewed there?[/QUOTE]

saw Wash Univ a while back...i'll leave out the positives about the place b/c I think most know, but i'll focus on negatives, (as I've done in another thread also if you've read it).

To know Wash U fully you must understand it's history. Yes, Wash U has a strong history and tradition of producing many great pathologists, ala Rosai, Ackerman to name just a few... and at one time was considered one of the premier places to be from. Keyword: at one time. Why? B/C nearly all the great & famous people from Wash U have moved on. Sure Dehner is there...and all his grrrrr-ness - if that's even a word....personally I thought Charlie Alper's at Univ of Wash was the ideal kinda BIGNAME fun, pleasant, and generally NICE personality I wish all bignames ala Dehner had. (he kinda looks like Santa clause, and def. has that attitude - i initially was like who's this fat jolly guy talking to me??? WHAT? you're Dr. Alpers, kidney extradinaire?) But residents don't see Dr. Dehner's consult service: goes straight to the fellows. Sure Humphrey is there (peter H: prostate guru for those infamiliar w/him), but again, i found him too busy to really sit down w/residents.

Second, and this mainly applies if you're thinking AP/CP, Wash Univ began it's combined ap/cp program....when? guesses anyone?

get this: just 10 years ago, 1995 ish.

and you know why? NOT b/c they have the compassion and motivation to fully integrate and offer their residents a wholesome, well-rounded education. No; instead to LURE people based on the decreasing path applicants they were getting. This is not rumor, this comes from Wash U grads at other institutions, as well as from the PD himself during my interview. What does this entail then? It clearly implies that they chose to offer their [pseudo] integrated program simply b/c of supply & demand - b/c they needed BODIES frankly, not b/c of their educational philosophy or anything. It sends a wrong message to me honestly, but you can ask yourself as well: What does that say to an AP/CP applicant looking for well-integrated program strong in both areas?

Regarding other minuses I found about the program...
I was frankly embarrased for them when I saw the # and quality of computers available for the residents. I mean this is Washington University, the facilities outside are decent looking, they got a ton of money in grants, and they hospital itself can afford state-of-the art technolgy and equipment...but i guess COMPUTERS for residents is not one of them. The PGY-1 resident room (oh yah, NOT ONLY are you segregated from the CP folks whom you may or may not ever see...you're split apart from the PGY-2 class above you -- i'm all for peer comraderie and all, but that's ridiculous okay). has decent look cubicles, sufficient work space, but 2 OLD hag-looking computers for nearly 10 residents. AND of course you're expected to do presentations etc, and of course Wash U isn't like some places that provide a labtop (UMich applicants, you can all smirk now), and of course you have no desire to check email, get on the internet etc....right?
(sarcasm)

plus, the PGY-2 resident room is nearly as bad, with 3 computers located centrally for all to use. I mean even sub-par programs i looked at had a computer ON THE DESK of every resident.

other points: yes volume is a plus, but you don't need to see a ga-jilion (again, another soon to be found in Webster's word) hernia sacs to know what one looks like. Residents really work hard; unnecessarily hard. You start grossing in at 3pm: START okay...
then you finish, and then preview.
And you do this every day --i.e. no real "surg path schedule" . You basically gross in and sign out every day.
I thought that was a HUGE negative (and not only the hours okay). I think if you're gonna have AP for 2 years, and know the hours are gonna be long, i'd like to have SOME variety; some change in schedule so you're not grossing in every day. Even if that meant doing frozens a bit, signing out bx's vs. bigs, SOMETHING, some variation. I could totally see burning out there, AFTER boring myself w/the repetitive (difficult) schedule.
Oh yah, i'd like to get some sleep too...perhaps have time for a meal, maybe even two!!!

Many FMG's...not sure if that's a negative, just thought i'd like to point it out [FMG's please don't take offense].

other points: the PGY-4 year of the AP/CP curriculum is very poorly organized. I asked several people about it, got several different responses, and finally got the statement from the PD: it's currently in the works...

not really sure what that means, or how to take it (negatively for me at least). See, you do 6 months of CP to finish off PGY-3 and fulfull your 18 monhts of CP,....but not sure yet what elective will count for it and which will apply. Mainly i'm talking about Hemepath: they in the process of possibly switching it over to CP, and so you might be taking it during your PGY-4 as count it as your CP, but again, not finalized.

It's stuff like this that frustates me about the program...i mean curriculum is really important, and i frankly don't like the indecision (again, a word?) that the program seems to be going through...
which brings me to another point, important for every program you're considering: STABILITY of the PD/chair.

As pointed out by others, Wash U recently (as in 2 months !! okay) has appointed a new PD...regarding a chair, doesn't seem like (and was told this too) that it'll be finalized for a few years b/c search committee is basically looking for Godlike applicant, whose got more publications that Rosai has been referenced.

If your wondering why Dr. Unanue (sp?), the old PD/Chair stepped down, funny and weird reason: i guess Wash U has this requirement that once you turn 70 years old you can't be PD/Chair. So they had to, unconveniently, get a new PD & chair.

these are the main things i found about the program, if i think of more or other major ones, i'll add to this post.

Overall, I do think that their are some good segrated ap/cp programs out their that can offer their applicants a well-balanced, interactive, and overall strong education. And honestly i do think that Wash U is one of them -- in about 10 years or so once they get their act together. As for know, if you're ap/cp (perhaps even if your single track as well), i'd really think about.

That was long message but to some up a reply,

Ive never heard of Alper at UW.

WashU pretty much invented both formal surg path training as well CP. As in they had the first formal surg path fellow and CP program in the country.

I didnt know Unanue left, he was kinda of crazy man. He used to throw glassware at postdocs/grad students in his lab or so the story goes when he flew into a rage. Somewhat reminiscent of the North Korean dictator in Team USA:World Police.

The place is much better without him.

med2B said:

saw Wash Univ a while back...i'll leave out the positives about the place b/c I think most know, but i'll focus on negatives, (as I've done in another thread also if you've read it).

Any thoughts on MGH?

It's true that one has to be careful joining a "famous" program. It may very well have topped, and be past it's prime.
Am not familiar enough with Wash to say if that's one of those programs, but there's certainly some out there. Trick is also to choose a program that has a fair number of diff. fellowships - unless you've dead certain what you want to subspec. in. All other things being equal, it IS a lot easier to get fellowship where you did your residency. On the other hand, program shouldn't be so big you can drown, which I feel is more or less the case with MGH.
MGH Path. is solid, but I would choose Brigham & Women's over that any day. In fact, if I should start from scratch, that would probably be my first choice.

I would love it if someone currently at Wash U could give us the inside scoop. My advisor has said that if I don't rank Washu first I'm a fool. I wish I could figure out what the truth is.

jeff2005 said:
I would love it if someone currently at Wash U could give us the inside scoop. My advisor has said that if I don't rank Washu first I'm a fool. I wish I could figure out what the truth is.

what?? no more love for iowa jeff2005???????????!!!!
i also loved the place too!

SLUsagar said:
what?? no more love for iowa jeff2005???????????!!!!
i also loved the place too!

I still love Iowa, but my husband has been a major pain in the arse about us moving there. If that weren't an issue I would rank iowa first without question.

I :love: IOWA!

I doubt very much I'll rank WashU first, or even second.

jeff2005 said:
I still love Iowa, but my husband has been a major pain in the arse about us moving there. If that weren't an issue I would rank iowa first without question.

I :love: IOWA!

I doubt very much I'll rank WashU first, or even second.

jeff2005 - I think I remember that you loved WashU when you visited (apologies if I am mistaken!!) Why did you change your mind?

PS - You should kill your husband for being such a pain in the a** about moving to Iowa City. This is a great place to live! Sometimes it sure is nice to be single and be able to go anywhere I want. :D

would you consider Wash U and not MGH ?

jeff2005 said:

PathProspect said:
would you consider Wash U and not MGH ?
bout MUSC?? ??? ??

you're husband HAS got to happy there, plus it's a NON-malignant, congenial resident, actually decently big name program? :D