was young and dumb and got an "F".... schools policies on course repeats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferral

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in my infinate wisdom as a teenager :rolleyes:, I enrolled in a community college class (a bio class, no less) and didn't bother to show up for the last half of the semester (not even to the midterm or final). i think I was assuming that the professor would drop me... WRONG! I got an F for that class, needless to say. :hungover:

Much later, I retook this course (not a required course for vet school b.t.w.) and got an A. If you factor both scores into my GPA, it lowers my overall GPA by 1/10 (ie. 3.6 instead of 3.7). It may not seem like a lot but dammnit I worked hard for that 1/10!!! I know that some schools (like UC Davis) forgive a certain number of classes that have been repeated for a higher grade. (copied and pasted below) but I just can't find info about which of the other schools do this!

So, does anyone know if most schools/which schools have a repeated course GPA forgiveness policy??
And how would you state your GPA in the application if they did have a repeated course forgiveness policy??

thanks

From UC Davis's FAQ:
"Can required science courses be repeated for a higher grade?

Required science courses may be repeated only when the original grade was below a C-. The repeated grade will replace the original grade up to 8 quarter units. Repeated units in excess of 8, will be averaged with the original graded units. Repeated courses where the original grade received was a C- or better will be averaged in the cumulative GPA. "

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to check with whatever schools you are applying to it should be on their websites if not contact admission directly and they will likely be happy to answer your question. Most schools seem to accept the new grade, others will average the old and new grades. I would simply list your GPA as it appears on your transcript. If you wanted you could put a paragraph in the explanation box that without that bio class your GPA would be 3.7.

Happy hunting on websites!

Yep, it depends on the veterinary school. Some calculate points based on all courses attempted, in effect averaging the two grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think WesternU replaces any grade below C. Davis replaces at max of 2 classes below C- in the science requirement, but the grades you earned in all classes you have taken are calculated in the cumulative GPA.

thanks guys...
yeah. most of the websites don't list that info. Guess I'll just have to email the admissions office.

Angelo, I like your idea of paragraph in the explanation box. thanks.

I think WesternU replaces any grade below C. Davis replaces at max of 2 classes below C- in the science requirement, but the grades you earned in all classes you have taken are calculated in the cumulative GPA.

Western does not accept any grade below a C. They average retakes as far as I remember (unless they changes policy since I applied. I graduated this past May.)