Warning to MCAT Takers: MCAT Readjusting Again? (5/13 taker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spr1ngrolls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! So I just came out of the most recent MCAT (5/13, went in knowing that I would void it) and after looking through some of the comments throughout Reddit (for the past 3-4 MCAT dates) and having the experience of taking the most recent MCAT, I think it's pretty undeniable that the AAMC is quickly re-adjusting their focus once again (I'd acutally say they're balancing it better though).

Obviously when the new 2015 MCAT came out it was all about the Biochem and everyone prepared heavily for this. I assumed the same thing going in. Boy was that wrong. There were also other general assumptions such as less physics, P/S would be a vocab test, etc etc. Again, Reddit threads of the past 3-4 exams would once again suggest that these assumptions are also becoming less and less correct.

The general trend now appears that, to me at least (again from experience and reading about the past couple exams):
  • C/P: Expect more physics. Not memorization of formulas, but applying the concepts more and more. Generally speaking, the MCAT i took had an easier C/P section and I breezed through it. But it was certainly physics heavy and the general consensus is that they hit you harder on a lot of the "low yield" topics too (like concepts dealing with orgo!!!).
  • CARS: For our exam CARS was actually fun for the first time ever in my life. Seems to be unchanged from the previous exams though.
  • B/B: This is where they're really screwing people over if you read in to the past couple of MCATs...... Essentially the test I took had like 3-4 questions testing true principles of biochemistry.... the rest was just CELL TRAFFICKING/REGULATION HELL. I'm talking basic genetics, protein regulation, cell signaling, etc. Honestly, this portion made the Section Banks look like a complete joke... It was pretty damn crazy. Again, I urge you to go on Reddit and see what other people are saying. Knowing your biochem/amino acids are important.... but ultimately the B/B portion is evolving once again. I think I also got only 1 questions about any anatomy/physiology too... and it was about the liver (and a discreet).
  • P/S: It seems that its generally being agreed that they're tuning this portion to resemble the CARS section more and more. Knowing your vocab is still important, but I was kind of surprised myself by how careful you needed to actually read in to the passage to answer a lot of their questions. With every practice test I took (TPR, NS, AAMC material), I would have nearly 20-30 minutes extra because honestly you just needed to understand the study broadly and apply your vocab carefully. However, this was definitely not true on the actual exam.

Overall, I'd say that this would be expected of the AAMC to begin re-adjusting now that we're 2 years in to the new MCAT and they're looking to balance it again. Obviously anything that was new they wanted to hit you harder with at the beginning, but it's clear that they're scaling back on it now.

Just wanted to give a fair warning to my fellow SDN'ers because y'all work so hard and I don't see many people talking about this here yet. If you had recently taken the test, I really want to know what you think as well!

Also, in case you were wondering, yes the general consensus is that the AAMC FL 1 & 2 did not resemble the actual test itself. Definitely more section bank heavy and no longer just "one or two passages like the section bank".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone! So I just came out of the most recent MCAT (5/13, went in knowing that I would void it) and after looking through some of the comments throughout Reddit (for the past 3-4 MCAT dates) and having the experience of taking the most recent MCAT, I think it's pretty undeniable that the AAMC is quickly re-adjusting their focus once again (I'd acutally say they're balancing it better though).

Obviously when the new 2015 MCAT came out it was all about the Biochem and everyone prepared heavily for this. I assumed the same thing going in. Boy was that wrong. There were also other general assumptions such as less physics, P/S would be a vocab test, etc etc. Again, Reddit threads of the past 3-4 exams would once again suggest that these assumptions are also becoming less and less correct.

The general trend now appears that, to me at least (again from experience and reading about the past couple exams):
  • C/P: Expect more physics. Not memorization of formulas, but applying the concepts more and more. Generally speaking, the MCAT i took had an easier C/P section and I breezed through it. But it was certainly physics heavy and the general consensus is that they hit you harder on a lot of the "low yield" topics too (like concepts dealing with orgo!!!).
  • CARS: For our exam CARS was actually fun for the first time ever in my life. Seems to be unchanged from the previous exams though.
  • B/B: This is where they're really screwing people over if you read in to the past couple of MCATs...... Essentially the test I took had like 3-4 questions testing true principles of biochemistry.... the rest was just CELL TRAFFICKING/REGULATION HELL. I'm talking basic genetics, protein regulation, cell signaling, etc. Honestly, this portion made the Section Banks look like a complete joke... It was pretty damn crazy. Again, I urge you to go on Reddit and see what other people are saying. Knowing your biochem/amino acids are important.... but ultimately the B/B portion is evolving once again. I think I also got only 1 questions about any anatomy/physiology too... and it was about the liver (and a discreet).
  • P/S: It seems that its generally being agreed that they're tuning this portion to resemble the CARS section more and more. Knowing your vocab is still important, but I was kind of surprised myself by how careful you needed to actually read in to the passage to answer a lot of their questions. With every practice test I took (TPR, NS, AAMC material), I would have nearly 20-30 minutes extra because honestly you just needed to understand the study broadly and apply your vocab carefully. However, this was definitely not true on the actual exam.

Overall, I'd say that this would be expected of the AAMC to begin re-adjusting now that we're 2 years in to the new MCAT and they're looking to balance it again. Obviously anything that was new they wanted to hit you harder with at the beginning, but it's clear that they're scaling back on it now.

Just wanted to give a fair warning to my fellow SDN'ers because y'all work so hard and I don't see many people talking about this here yet. If you had recently taken the test, I really want to know what you think as well!

Also, in case you were wondering, yes the general consensus is that the AAMC FL 1 & 2 did not resemble the actual test itself. Definitely more section bank heavy and no longer just "one or two passages like the section bank".

Thank you for this! For Physics, can you comment on whether it was heavier for Mechanics or E&M?

Also, by chance did you take the new MCAT during 2016? If you did, can you comment on how the P/S section compares to your most recent? I did well on this section last time, so I'd like to keep the same strategy if possible.

Thank you for this! For Physics, can you comment on whether it was heavier for Mechanics or E&M?

Also, by chance did you take the new MCAT during 2016? If you did, can you comment on how the P/S section compares to your most recent? I did well on this section last time, so I'd like to keep the same strategy if possible.
This is a futile exercise; each administration of the test varies from the next and the one before it. Your best bet for doing well is to know every topic on the outline equally well.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a futile exercise; each administration of the test varies from the next and the one before it. Your best bet for doing well is to know every topic on the outline equally well.
Thanks. I'm sure it does vary, but the general balance of content should be similar otherwise the exam would be extremely unfair.

I'm just trying to get a scope on the most recent exams. If they're truly rebalancing this thing then I can't adjust from my strategy last year and will need to create a new plan

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm sure it does vary, but the general balance of content should be similar otherwise the exam would be extremely unfair.

I'm just trying to get a scope on the most recent exams. If they're truly rebalancing this thing then I can't adjust from my strategy last year and will need to create a new plan

You can see from threads on here (and on reddit) that the May 13 exam was saturated with physics, which has traditionally been underrepresented on the MCAT. IMHO your strategy is too much of a gamble for a constantly developing test still in its early stages if you truly want to excel.

OP, did your score turn out like you expected, given the different material tested? I took the 5/13 exam as well, and I definitely agree with your assessment. But I think the relative difficulty was reflected in my score, which was a lot higher than I expected, given that it focused so much on material that I didn't expect to be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP, did your score turn out like you expected, given the different material tested? I took the 5/13 exam as well, and I definitely agree with your assessment. But I think the relative difficulty was reflected in my score, which was a lot higher than I expected, given that it focused so much on material that I didn't expect to be covered.

OP voided their exam, so they don't actually have a score to report.

OP voided their exam, so they don't actually have a score to report.

Yeah I voided and will be taking it again at the end of this month.

Based on the reactions on Reddit, it seems like the 5/13 exam really curved quite nicely, essentially everyone got 5-6 points above their projected on the two FLs.

Yeah I voided and will be taking it again at the end of this month.

Based on the reactions on Reddit, it seems like the 5/13 exam really curved quite nicely, essentially everyone got 5-6 points above their projected on the two FLs.

I see. Well, I wish you the best on your second go at it!