Warning about Anmol Chilli powder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny123

BOSCO!!!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just saw this link this morning:
Health Wanrning on Packaged Chilli Powder

OTTAWA (CP) - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to eat Anmol Red Chilli Powder because it contains non-permitted colours considered to be carcinogenic.

The alert affects Anmol Red Chilli Powder, packed by Staple Foods, in Karachi, Pakistan, that is sold in a 200-gram container bearing UPC 6 096329 073218 with the following codes: PKG DATE: DEC/2003 and EXP DATE: DEC/2005.

The agency said in a release that the importer is voluntarily recalling this product from the marketplace. The affected product was distributed in Quebec and Ontario.

The product is not associated with an ongoing recall in the United Kingdom, the agency said.

The agency said that the product contains the non-permitted colours, Sudan I and Sudan IV, red dyes that are not permitted as food colours in Canada.

Sudan I, has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals and these findings could also be significant for human health.

There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of the product.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep...always be careful with any spices packaged in india-pakistan-bangladesh!
I've heard stories about things containing glass, and even horse dung :barf:
which is evidently added to dhania-powder or something....scary

hopeful05 said:
Yep...always be careful with any spices packaged in
PHP:
india
-pakistan-bangladesh!
I guess that generations of your family must have eaten stuff produced and packed in India...so what has made u so scared now???? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
parasiteatwork said:
I guess that generations of your family must have eaten stuff produced and packed in India...so what has made u so scared now???? :(

Yeah...they have...except we used to take our own spices and wheat and get it ground from the same trusted shop everytime... so we knew our ground spices weren't messed around with....
And nothing has made me scared parasite...?!! where did you get that from....? almost everyone I know is wary if the dhania powder...because a few years ago...there was a big scandal.... now if I don't take it into account I'd say I would be practicing ignorance...it's just not wise...
anyways...I'm not against indian packaged items...i love our food....But..I don;t think there's anything wrong in being aware of what is in the stuff you might be eating...it's upto us to chk our health...or maybe you don't care...so that's that...to each their own...

sunny123 said:
Horse dung of all things??

Yeah it's so yucky..and wierd....
And they also put glass in the dry colors people use for the holi festival...

And just to let parasite know---writing that should not be translated into me being scared of holi!! :laugh:

Glass in the Holi powder?? Won't that hurt the people? BTW, never played holi ever. Guess it must be fun. If Krishna looks like he's having a blast, then I should too. :D

parasiteatwork said:
exactly...what about all the preservatives and chemicals added in US food.....

hmm..meetlife.... if you think taking in preservatives is same as taking in glass or other ****...then....wow!!
You seriously don't see a difference??

The hygiene i'm talking abt is equivalent to when people try to lay off eating food from street hawkers...because its open to the dust and insects...etc...
Its just not the same as chemicals like preservatives...
you can however compare it to the pesticides on veggies...now serioulsy knowing that will you eat the veggies without a wash?? :rolleyes:

sunny123 said:
Glass in the Holi powder?? Won't that hurt the people? BTW, never played holi ever. Guess it must be fun. If Krishna looks like he's having a blast, then I should too. :D

Yeah...I heard that in delhi...they shut down a factory...for it...was many years ago...its just an example of the stupid things people do...I don't see why they would use glass..??
But it seems to be common --here
http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/aa031803a.htm
Save Your Skin from Chemical Colors
Most Holi colors sold in the market are oxidized metals or industrial dyes mixed with engine oil. Sample this: Green comes from copper sulphate, purple is chromium iodide, silver is aluminum bromide, black is lead oxide and shiny colors are result of powdered glass being added to the colors. All these are toxic and can result in anything from skin allergies, eye irritation, blindness and much more. When washed, they enter the rivers and the soil and increase pollution.

Oh...i love holi..are u serious...u never ever played it...
I can never decide which festival is my fav...holi or diwali...
We used to have so much fun ganging up on other people and soaking them... :laugh: ofcourse guys turn everything nasty...so they use eggs :eek:
yucky...and gross for the person or cars who get hit by them....wicked fun for us.. :D the golden rule for gatherings is to always arrive early...so that you can be part of the scheming group :smuggrin: ...not part of the poor guys who get color-attacked.... good "clean" fun?...not!! :laugh:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040219/ncr1.htm

Adulterated food eating into the vitals of Palwal
Bijendra Ahlawat
Tribune News Service

"Mr Gupta alleged that a good number of persons dealing in grocery trade were selling the adulterated products, which include haldi having chromate powder, dhania with cow dung, milk with urea, rice with stones, red pepper with ochre and cooking oil with inferior quality."

If I've been successful...then youwill all stop eating and will exhibit unsual paranoia and fear of Holi!! :laugh: :D :laugh:

Just to say that is not the intention here---- adulteration of food is a fact of life... but we can't stop eating because of that...