Wanted - good EKG calipers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floppy valve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time for a light topic for discussion:

I'm hunting for specific EKG calipers called "penguin pen ekg calipers"... they're a bit fancy, and have seen them being carried around by many cardiology fellows & attendings. the calipers have a cap in form of a small pen. kinda neat...

The problem; they're no where to be found! checked Amazon, google, ebay, craigslist.. everything!!! All these sites say that "this item is no longer available" :mad:

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Look for "Deluxe ECG Caliper Ruler - Chrome tip with case and tip cover" on amazon.
Is that what you're looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Time for a light topic for discussion:

I'm hunting for specific EKG calipers called "penguin pen ekg calipers"... they're a bit fancy, and have seen them being carried around by many cardiology fellows & attendings. the calipers have a cap in form of a small pen. kinda neat...

The problem; they're no where to be found! checked Amazon, google, ebay, craigslist.. everything!!! All these sites say that "this item is no longer available" :mad:

Any thoughts?

They are still available. Try your med school store or go to EP lab and the reps have it most of the time with them.

http://insulinvials.com/officefurniture/otherfurniture/Mackin-Caliper-Pen-Electr-581229

this is one link that still had them

Last edited:
It's not that my med school doesn't have a store, it's that it doesn't have the calipers. Maybe I can call your med school store? That's why I was asking...

It's not that my med school doesn't have a store, it's that it doesn't have the calipers. Maybe I can call your med school store? That's why I was asking...

Oh Wow. I just checked on their website and all it is showing is the cheap calipers. I checked up on the link that I provided above and that doesn't work.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/penguinekgcalipers
This person's name keep coming up in most of the searches for Penguin calipers.

All this means is that I need to take better care of the one I have. I will take a look at the medical book store at my residency place and see if they have any.

One of my buddies bought one from a local Barnes & Nobel in Boston. The store manager mentioned that they are ordering more of these, but they're not available currently. I've looked up on google extensively. All the links say that the penguin calipers are not currently available!

Any one checked overseas? Maybe they're available in England or elsewhere? :)

That's interesting. Can your friend be specific in which Barnes and Noble? You can PM me if you like to be anonymous! Thank you!!

I've been looking for years for penguin calipers. I'm a cards fellow and would love to get a pair. I'd be willing to pay a commission even if someone could get me a pair!

I went through an entire cardiology fellowship just drawing little marks on a piece of paper.

I, too, have been looking for a set of Mackin Penguin EKG calipers and I ran across this post during my search. I am happy to say that I finally found a company that sells them. Check out www.medexsupply.com

I called and spoke with them this morning and they advised that the calipers are a discontinued item, with limited stock. They are only carrying the black traditional calipers, but they are on sale for $40.