Wanted: A description of what is really like....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have heard lots of people by this point complain that they wouldn't go into neurosurgery because it is a 6-7 year residency and it is just toooo hard of a lifestyle for them. I'm not afraid of hard work, and think neurosurg is fascinating....So, what I would like to hear is what it is really like...Do you still think it is worth it three years in with four to go? Does it still intrigue you the way it did before? What are the best aspects of the job? What are the worst? Any links to insights into the life of the neurosurg resident?
Also, as a neurosurgeon, is anything you do diagnostic? Or does the neurologist tell you what is wrong and you go in and fix it? Also, do you manage all aspects of their care once they are in Neuro ICU? (Infections, heart problems, etc.?)
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Try shadowing a neurosurgeon. He'll be able to answer most of your questions better than any of us.

The radiologist reads the studies post op...

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, I'm aware of that but won't be able to do that until next year....I was just curious to hear your guys opinions now, that's all. I'm a 2nd year who will be taking USMLE soon, so no time to shadow at the moment.

you'll find many residents who say "if you have to ask those questions, then youve answered yourself, and this specialty isnt for you." i can personally attest to being on the receiving end of that mentality. not cool.

that said, you may find some helpful folks over at this website, which i frequent as much as sdn:

www.nsmatch.com

you will need to brace yourself for a lot more crass and arrogant posters, but the valuable insights are buried in-between.

i dont remember where i came across that site, but im thrilled that i did, and glad i can show you.

Hey, thanks for the link to that website, it is great, I appreciate it!
I agree, I don't understand why people enjoy being so hard on each other on these message boards, maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.....They are probably spineless little pricks when confronted face to face with something.. :)
Just kidding... kind of.

Once again, thanks.