want to switch, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalltowngirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am in the middle of my Transitional Year and am seriously considering switching to pathology, but have quite a dilemma.... Here's my situation:

I am will be starting an anesthesia residency in July at a very prestigious program. It's a fantastic place and I'm worried about burning bridges, but I feel that if I don't take action now I will come to regret it.
Don't get me wrong, anesthesia is a great field but I believe I would be better at and will like pathology even more. As someone who has now completed half of my internship and has been exposed to the trials of patients going into the crapper, mindless scutwork, ego-tripping attendings, nurses who sign my name to orders that I never approved, being too busy to spend more than 30 seconds with patients, I have an entirely different view of the field of medicine. I've realized that my personality may not be suited to the stresses of patients crashing and burning which is ironically one of the main reasons I thought anesthesia would be my "thing". (You know, being a REAL doctor).
Now, please don't jump all over me and tell me that all I'm concerned about is lifestyle. It's definately a concern, but moreso I want to be certain that I am doing something on a daily basis that I enjoy and more importantly that I'm good at!
I have a confession....classmates were shocked when I announced that I was choosing anesthesia. In light of great board scores and AOA they thought I would chose derm, optho, rads or path. For some reason I took offense to their statement as an accusation that I would not be good with patients instead of a complement that I am a good student. Somewhere subconsciously I knew what they said may be true (that my personality may not be suited to anesthesia) but I didn't want to admit it.
Anyway, you may be wondering why pathology suddenly became my calling? Am I just fed up with internship or is it really a true passion?
In recent months there have been hints...
during surgery the most intellectually stimulating times were M & M's when the pathologists came in to reveal autopsy findings.
When my patient had an open lung biopsy, I couldn't wait to find out the results and called to pathologist to see the specimen myself.
Ward medicine has not satisfied my need for basic science. For some reason I thought it would. I want to SEE patients' disease.
I am absolutely, undeniably a visual learner.
I won an award during medical school for the highest histology score between 2 med school classes. I loved TAing histology.
During undergrad I prosected cadavers. In med school I TA'd anatomy and loved it.
During an OB rotation, the weekly path session was my favorite and finally, why didn't I see this sooner? Don't know. Doesn't matter cuz' here I am...
Unfortunately I have never done a pathology rotation, but I think I may be able to work something out next months. I have already spoken with the path director at the same hospital as my anesthesia program and I won't be able to switch this year as they have decided not to take anyone outside the match.
Should I apply to programs now and try to scramble into one or get a last minute interview? The program director at my anesthesia program is great and I don't want to tell him about my desire to switch until I am sure it is a possibility. But is it legal to apply to a program without telling your own program first? Cuz' if I don't get a spot this year I really don't want to have a year off. I am also very nervous about the possibility of exchanging a mediocre path program for a fab anesthesia program, however, I have to do what will make me happy:)
Does anyone have any advice?
Know any programs that take people outside of the match?
And what happened to the Colorado Springs program. Why didn't they match last year.
Does anyone know anything about the University of South Florida's program?
One other concern I have is my lack of experience. I may be able to squeeze 2 months into my internship. If I catch up on reading will I be okay?
Great thanks to anyone for advice!

Members don't see this ad.

smalltowngirl,

i think you still have a good shot at matching at an excellent path program if you get on the ball and start contacting PDs immediately. interviews usually go through late Jan/early Feb. if you were to submit your applications by ERAS now they might not even be looked at, so i think your best bet would be to contact PDs directly and explain your situation. since you are an MD, you are eligible to be taken outside the match, and most programs in pathology use this route regularly, moreso than in other specialties because of the high number of foreign grads applying for path. going through ERAS and NRMP and waiting for the scramble is another option, but then you wouldn't have an answer until late March. if you were to wait for the next cycle and do research in pathology during the intervening year, you would probably be a very competitive candidate for 2004. as for burning bridges, that is a decision you have to make for yourself, but there aren't many bridges between pathology and anesthesiology that i know of. you should still give your anesthesiology program enough time to find a replacement, though. anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do.

I would also suggest considering the scramble. You may not get exactly where you want to go, but you would be a gem some program would snatch up.

If you have enough time to get into the match that would be the best. You would be a very strong applicant with good choices.

Start contacting program directors of places you would like to go, it is very likely one may even offer you a spot outside the match. Even if they don't they will know you are looking so if they do not fill they will have your name in their head.

I would suggest not starting anesth. if you are sure that is not for you.