Want to quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fern42

Reaction score
Started a 1-yr post bacc program in May. It's so hard. I want to quit. I'm getting average grades...wondering if I should cut my losses now before I take on any more student debt for the remainder of the program. Just disappointed...whole family, spouse, everyone was supporting me in this and I am failing. I don't know what else I would do, I feel like I'm too old to do anything else at this point. In my mid 30's...I'd have to start a new entry-level career in some office competing with new grads 15 yrs younger that will work for half the pay. My last office-job experience I (and 40 other people) were laid off....people in their 40's and 50's with families, approaching retirement, working for scraps, only job they knew how to do...then boom, job gone. I decided right then and there that wasn't going to be me. I needed something secure, higher paying, and that created a positive impact in the world....I was an EMT once-upon-a-long-time-ago...was the only job I remember doing that was challenging and satisfying. Now I'm in this program and not sure it's even worth finishing....haven't even gotten to the hard classes yet that all the smart kids seem to be scared of. I'm running myself ragged for B's. I'm feeling sad and defeated.

Members don't see this ad.

Finish it try to get atleast a 3.5 and then apply to DOs and MDs broadly. If you don't do well in this your chances of becoming a doctor are pretty slim so don't throw in the towel.

Reactions: 1 users
Finish it try to get atleast a 3.5 and then apply to DOs and MDs broadly. If you don't do well in this your chances of becoming a doctor are pretty slim so don't throw in the towel.
I want to finish it out but my confidence is definitely shaken. Thank you for the encouraging words.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry things aren't going so well :(

Maybe your current study habits are not suitable and you gotta find something else that works for you. If this is something you jumped right into after having been out of school a while, it's not uncommon that there's some growing pains while you get back into the swing of academia. However, for pre-med, that's definitely something that has to be fixed ASAP as you know...

Have you taken advantage of office hours? Talk to your TAs and profs to see how they can help/if they have any tips from previous students similar to you. Tutoring/study groups? How do you take notes currently? Are classes recorded so you can refer back to them later? If not perhaps you can try recording them yourself and re-listening to them to make sure you catch every detail or potential exam questions that profs are posing in lecture. Try different formats like making Anki cards, or maybe turning to outside resources that can condense the topics into easy to digest formats (ex. Khan Academy) so you can get an idea of what's going on first before you turn back to the more detailed course material. Try teaching the course material to your family members and see if you can answer their questions confidently.

But, above all else, do not hate yourself. If you do make the decision to cut your losses, there's no shame in that either. It's probably wiser than digging yourself deeper into heartache. If you really want this, though, and the idea of pursuing another career is unbearable then as the above poster suggested you must make sure you do well. Wishing you the best of luck my friend!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry things aren't going so well :(

Maybe your current study habits are not suitable and you gotta find something else that works for you. If this is something you jumped right into after having been out of school a while, it's not uncommon that there's some growing pains while you get back into the swing of academia. However, for pre-med, that's definitely something that has to be fixed ASAP as you know...

Have you taken advantage of office hours? Talk to your TAs and profs to see how they can help/if they have any tips from previous students similar to you. Tutoring/study groups? How do you take notes currently? Are classes recorded so you can refer back to them later? If not perhaps you can try recording them yourself and re-listening to them to make sure you catch every detail or potential exam questions that profs are posing in lecture. Try different formats like making Anki cards, or maybe turning to outside resources that can condense the topics into easy to digest formats (ex. Khan Academy) so you can get an idea of what's going on first before you turn back to the more detailed course material. Try teaching the course material to your family members and see if you can answer their questions confidently.

But, above all else, do not hate yourself. If you do make the decision to cut your losses, there's no shame in that either. It's probably wiser than digging yourself deeper into heartache. If you really want this, though, and the idea of pursuing another career is unbearable then as the above poster suggested you must make sure you do well. Wishing you the best of luck my friend!
Thank you for the tips. Today is another day and I will get up and keep going. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
My family and, especially my spouse, are supporting me through this process as well. I sometimes have nightmares of failing classes and, ultimately, failing them. It's a lot of pressure so I definitely feel for you.

So are you making all B's so far? What classes are you taking? What is so difficult about these classes?