want to do IR, but concerned about radiation exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newlife2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DR resident, like DR, and really like the procedural aspect of IR, don't mind tough lifestyle (actually did surgery internship and enjoyed it), but really concern about radiation exposure, any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DR resident, like DR, and really like the procedural aspect of IR, don't mind tough lifestyle (actually did surgery internship and enjoyed it), but really concern about radiation exposure, any suggestions? Thanks!

what is there to be concerned about? As far as I know no study have showned actual increased cancer or mortality risk. Only cataract is real.

what is there to be concerned about? As far as I know no study have showned actual increased cancer or mortality risk. Only cataract is real.
What’s you practice model? Private vs academic, percentage IR, range of procedures you perform? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiation exposure is there, but more of a concern is the weight of the lead and impact on your back. Newer systems that limit the dose are being made that maintain high image quality while dropping dose. Devices that enable you to do interventional procedures without activating fluoroscopy are in production and non weight bearing either ceiling mounted or transferred systems are also being developed. Finally clinical non procedural work that is part of our specialty also enables one to reduce global fluoroscopy requirements.

The risk of radiation is minimal but not zero.

The leads are heavy. Many IRs have back issues.

The risk of radiation is minimal but not zero.

The leads are heavy. Many IRs have back issues.

I’ve spent multiple months doing aways in IR and tbh my upper back is always killing me at the end of the day. During interviews and convos with residents and attendings, back issues were never brought up. why dont you hear more about this? Everyone talks about the hours and surgery lifestyle but rarely about back issues

I’ve spent multiple months doing aways in IR and tbh my upper back is always killing me at the end of the day. During interviews and convos with residents and attendings, back issues were never brought up. why dont you hear more about this? Everyone talks about the hours and surgery lifestyle but rarely about back issues
I never notice it, if I’m actually involved in the procedure. If your just retracting or standing there doing nothing it will be worse.

Google back pain/orthopedic issues and interventional radiology/cardiology.

Probably half of them have back/spine issues and I have seen that in high volume operators.

Caveate: IR in many community hospitals is mostly non-vascular or short vascular procedures and they don't do long and complex vascular procedures that oftwn. So many of them don't have any of these problems.

Reactions: 1 user