Want to do anesthesiology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJackal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to persue a career in anesthesiology. That aside rolling into the USAF academy came into play and I think it wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

I have some questions though

I have a 3.7 Overall AVG and a sustained 3.9 GPA point for this year what do they look for? I also do sports but a shoulder injury kept me from this for this year.

1.) What does the USAF look for in training for Pre-Med M.D.s?

2.) How is the basic training and does it interfere with schooling?

3.) How is the schooling

4.) I have a mild case of Asthma (goes away in the summer or warm climates) will this disqualify me?

5.) My vision isn't the best, will the Airforce fix this for me?

6.) Are we allowed to wear contacts instead of the coke bottle glasses?

Any other real ups and downs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you read the pro/con posts, decline of military medicine, and AVOID MILITARY MEDICINE.

Anesthesia is at an all time low at this point in time. Who knows what it will be like over 10 yrs from now when you are just getting ready to start deciding what you want to do in medicine. Just remember, in addition to all the negatives we have posted about military medicine, if you go to the academy, you will automatically incurr 7-9 yrs payback that you cannot serve concurrently, (this is my experience from a NS buddy of mine that ows 17 yrs). You will likely be forced to go to USHUS for med school, and then to an AF residency, if any exists by then.

Point is, you give up too much freedom, and close way too many doors to get somewhere you could get to, with more debt, but the ability to choose where you go, what you train in, and where you train, especially if you have the grades.

The current state of military medicine is so poor, that I would highly discourage you from choosing this route, unless you are 100% certain that you want to make a career out of the military.

Read this forum thoroughly.

Also, I know if you are active duty, asthma disqualifies you for overseas assigments. I think the ARMY can wave that.

Members don't see this ad :)
delicatefade said:

Yeah, I don't know what that means either. In the civilian world, anesthesia appears to be becoming more popular, at least from where I'm sitting. Obviously, the civilian and military worlds are vastly different, but if you're interested in a career in anesthesia, then I'd say go for it. One thing that is true though, no one has any idea what anesthesia or any specialty will be like in 10 years - military or otherwise.

colbgw02 said:
Yeah, I don't know what that means either. In the civilian world, anesthesia appears to be becoming more popular, at least from where I'm sitting. Obviously, the civilian and military worlds are vastly different, but if you're interested in a career in anesthesia, then I'd say go for it. One thing that is true though, no one has any idea what anesthesia or any specialty will be like in 10 years - military or otherwise.

Sorry, I can see how that may be interpreted in various ways. What I am saying is that there is hardly any anesthesiologists in the AF for sure, likely the other services, but not 100% positive. It is a field in very high demand both in and out of the service, but who's to say what it will be like over 10 yrs from now.

Galo said:
Sorry, I can see how that may be interpreted in various ways. What I am saying is that there is hardly any anesthesiologists in the AF for sure, likely the other services, but not 100% positive. It is a field in very high demand both in and out of the service, but who's to say what it will be like over 10 yrs from now.

Its definitely competitive at the moment. A couple more points for the OP. You won't be forced to go to USU IF you get permission to apply to med school. But...only a few people from each academy class get to go directly to med school. More likely, you'll head out to be a line bubba for a few years first. Medicine is a pretty long path, if you're sure you're premed, you might want to find a more direct route. On the other hand, there's lots of premeds out there who end up doing something other than medicine, and (this will piss someone off), an academy education and career aren't a bad fall back.

DrJackal said:
I would like to persue a career in anesthesiology. That aside rolling into the USAF academy came into play and I think it wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

I have some questions though

4.) I have a mild case of Asthma (goes away in the summer or warm climates) will this disqualify me?
You're still in high-school, right? I believe there are some Air Force Academy graduates who post occasionally on these forums who can answer more questions about it, but I've got some bad news for you. A history of asthma after the age of 13 is disqualifying for military service. Admission to the AFA is pretty competitive, and I'm 99.99% sure that you will not be granted a waiver in order to attend a service academy. They can find equally qualified candidates who won't require a waiver to join, so I'm pretty sure they won't even bother to try.

Sorry.

Just out of curiousity...how is it that you know that you want to go into anesthesia?