want a change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotdogz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, haven't been on this in a while, but need some advice and sugggestions and possibly leads. I'm an attending at a community hospital in ny, almost 6 years out, board certified, no fellowship. My wife and I are looking to change our surroundings. I've read many threads on this, but I think we are strongly considering northern california, close to the bay area, but not necessarily in it. I know it's difficult to get and i know that the state has its troubles. But I'm used to the high cost of living as is in ny. However, i have many friends who have moved out there from the east coast and are not regretting it. People are just happy there it seems. I tried getting a job out of residency, but found to be near impossible. Hence I'm reaching out to this forum. Do any of you know of any leads or people I can reach out to. I'm going to start applying for the CA license and see from there. People who have gone east to west, please share your experience as well.
I feel if I don't do it now, I may never will. I am in my late thirties and feel it's about time to make that change. Thanks forum.

Members don't see this ad.

The Bay Area can be tough if you don't have name brand credentials or special skills. I would lean on your friends that are already out there. That will be your best shot. Also consider the Central Valley which is much easier to break into. From there you can move to the Bay Area after establishing your reputation with people who are connected and can vouch for you.