WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlwins

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/30 (Hopefully)

Overall GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.83

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.83

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA: 24, PAT: 23, BIO: 25, OC: 26, GC: 24, TS: 25, RC: 19, QR: 24

State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: Stony Brook

Major: Biochemistry; Applied Mathematics

Minor: Health; Technology

Minority? No

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General (300 hours); Oral surgery (80 hours)

Volunteering Experience: Food pantry (150 hours); COVID vaccine scheduler (200 hours)

Employment: Lead DA (600 hours); Temp DA (100 hours); Ortho DA (600 hours); General DA (2000 hours), Resident Assistant (700 hours); Nursing home (1300 hours); COVID tester (150 hours); Personal Tutor (100 Hours); TA (200 hours)

Research: data security research (200 hours); protein interaction research with presentation (200 hours); lab tech (150 hours)

Other Extracurriculars: VP/treasurer/mentor of a cultural club (3 years); member of predental society (1 year)

Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College, Student Life award, Outstanding award, service award

LOR type and strength: 3 academics (average) and 2 dentists (strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Data Analyst and Python/Java certification

School list:

Columbia, Stony Brook, Harvard, UConn, UBuffalo, UCLA, NYU, UPenn, UCSF, UoP, UMich, Rutgers (12 schools)

I want to ask:
  1. My chances for Columbia and Harvard (top choices)
  2. If I should remove some schools since my stats are pretty average for most of the schools I am applying to (especially for UCLA, UCSF, and UConn since I am OOS).
  3. Any more “safety” schools I should consider since most of these schools have very low acceptance rates.
  4. If any aspect of my application should be improved.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fine manual dexterity? 300 hours shadowing... that's a bit of overkill especially since you have so many more hours as a DA.

If you are solid with communication (writing and oral), you are setting up a very strong application. You don't give detail for me to say that you "should" get looks from Columbia, Stony, Penn and Harvard. There aren't guarantees in this business. But you have a strong probability given the metrics.

If there is a concern, the research may be a little outside the knowledge base for the Ivy DSs (but hey, it's diversity of thought too). I don't know about your cultural affiliation, but make sure you look carefully how the schools on your list nurture those most similar to you. Mission fit is what will dictate your success.

Will you be applying to HPSP or NHSC? From what you have described, I only see a pair of hands who can do lots of things. It is your perogative and more importantly on your application to help me see a dentist as opposed to a DA or DH.

If you need to scratch off schools, take off the West Coast schools unless you know UCSF and Pacific will do virtual interviews. If you grew up mostly in the Northeast, you need to give me a good reason why LA is where you want to be. UConn... might as well though you know your chances as OOS. Rutgers will wonder why you want to go there if you have your stats and the likelihood you want to go to Columbia instead. Mission fit.

Last edited:
The application seems fine, but yes your school list is extremely top-heavy. You have what it takes to possibly get into these schools, but there's zero guarantees. I would throw in a couple of safety. UCLA, UCSF, and UoP (Harvard and Columbia other exceptions) will most likely be your biggest reaches since it's on the opposite end of the country. What are your ties to California?

I would throw in maybe 1-2 private schools or state schools that can give you iS tuition after a year. Rutgers comes to mind, maybe Case Western, Temple, and Louisville are some other options for safetys. With such a top-heavy list you just want to make sure you cover your bases just in case.

But overall things look decent, apply early and start practicing for interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: 6/30 (Hopefully)

Overall GPA: 3.87

Science GPA: 3.83

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.83

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA: 24, PAT: 23, BIO: 25, OC: 26, GC: 24, TS: 25, RC: 19, QR: 24

State of Residence: NY

Undergrad Attended: Stony Brook

Major: Biochemistry; Applied Mathematics

Minor: Health; Technology

Minority? No

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General (300 hours); Oral surgery (80 hours)

Volunteering Experience: Food pantry (150 hours); COVID vaccine scheduler (200 hours)

Employment: Lead DA (600 hours); Temp DA (100 hours); Ortho DA (600 hours); General DA (2000 hours), Resident Assistant (700 hours); Nursing home (1300 hours); COVID tester (150 hours); Personal Tutor (100 Hours); TA (200 hours)

Research: data security research (200 hours); protein interaction research with presentation (200 hours); lab tech (150 hours)

Other Extracurriculars: VP/treasurer/mentor of a cultural club (3 years); member of predental society (1 year)

Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College, Student Life award, Outstanding award, service award

LOR type and strength: 3 academics (average) and 2 dentists (strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Data Analysis and Python/Java certification

School list:

Columbia, Stony Brook, Harvard, UConn, UBuffalo, UCLA, NYU, UPenn, UCSF, UoP, UMich, Rutgers (12 schools)

I want to ask:
  1. My chances for Columbia and Harvard (top choices)
  2. If I should remove some schools since my stats are pretty average for most of the schools I am applying to (especially for UCLA, UCSF, and UConn since I am OOS).
  3. Any more “safety” schools I should consider since most of these schools have very low acceptance rates.
  4. If any aspect of my application should be improved.
remove NYU!