This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevet219210

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning to apply for vet school next year. I am currently attending WSU as a transfer student. I am just nervous my stats aren't that well to get in.
I will be a senior in the fall.
WSU GPA (29 credits): 3.78
I still have 31 credits to get but for last 45 (last 14) so far it is 3.92
UNR GPA ( 60 credits): 3.46
Science GPA: 3.5
I have all As and Bs except one C in principles of chem 2
Freshman year I didn't do too well and had to retake classes but, you cannot see the grade on my transcript it just says replaced and does not effect my gpa. but, you can see I retook them.

Animal experience: worked at PetSmart ( a year and half) about 1,500 hours
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary- 3 hours
volunteer at an animal shelter- 3 hours
volunteer at an SPCA- 3 hours
volunteer at WSU Bear Center- will be about 30 hours when I'm done
pet-sitting( pig, dogs, cats)- about 20 hours
working at WSU Knott Dairy Center (6 months)- so far about 270 hours
Hopefully, next summer will get this internship I will be trying for at a zoo- will be at least 200 hours
Beginning of freshman year went on a small class trip for about an hour- had to stick my hand in the cows stomach

VET EXPERIENCE:
kennel attendant at a vet hospital: 60 hours ( furloughed due to covid)
vet assistant: have about 50 hours so far but am gonna be working there for at least a year because I plan to move away once I graduate undergrad but right now working about 20-25 hours a week so hopefully will end with 1000-1300 hours
I plan on working as a vet assistant full time for a year after I move if I am able to get a job- hopefully about 2000 hours

Work experience: Cashier at popeyes in high school- about 1100 hours
worked at Walmart- about 200 hours

hobbies: rug making and embroidery art, and cake decorating

extracurriculars: freshman year was the recognition representative for my dorm hall
pre-vet club- for one semester freshman year- meeting times ended up conflicting with work

For a lot of time, I was planning to be a zoo vet tech after I graduated with my bachelor's and went to vet tech school but now, I want to try to be a vet. The main school I want to get into is CSU. I have an interest in working with exotic animals. Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats seem really great honestly. I think your diversity of work experience is amazing as well as I've seen many applicants don't usually have work experience outside the veterinary field and a customer service job like popeyes will grant you really great skills in learning how to talk to people and they will 100% see that in your interviews. As far as CSU goes when I spoke to their admissions counselor she told me they specifically look for students with an improvement curve. An example of this would be someone like you or me who went from B's and some C's to straight A student. I assume your transcripts would tell a similar story as your GPA is significantly better than my own but has the same curve to it going from the 3.46 to 3.78. I honestly think you got this in the bag and you are going to do amazing!! Best of luck and hope you get into CSU!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats seem really great honestly. I think your diversity of work experience is amazing as well as I've seen many applicants don't usually have work experience outside the veterinary field and a customer service job like popeyes will grant you really great skills in learning how to talk to people and they will 100% see that in your interviews. As far as CSU goes when I spoke to their admissions counselor she told me they specifically look for students with an improvement curve. An example of this would be someone like you or me who went from B's and some C's to straight A student. I assume your transcripts would tell a similar story as your GPA is significantly better than my own but has the same curve to it going from the 3.46 to 3.78. I honestly think you got this in the bag and you are going to do amazing!! Best of luck and hope you get into CSU!!!
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.