WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notaballer25

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are not competitive for any MD school with a MCAT of 494. It is also unlikely that you would receive a DO acceptance. You will need to retake the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

The data shows that only 30% of applicants with a MCAT score in the range of 491 to 499 were accepted to DO schools. They would be mainly those in the 497 to 499 range. Ideally you would retake the MCAT and score 500 or higher. Your low science section scores are concerning. @Goro what is your opinion ?

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. GPA:
    1. cGPA: 3.72 / sGPA(AMCAS): 3.39 Aacomas 3.5 upward trend 4.0 after freshman yr
  2. MCAT:
    1. 494 (123/124/122/125)
  3. CA resident
  4. Ethnicity/Race
    1. Arab
  5. Undergrad:
    1. State school
    2. Graduated this past dec
    3. Poli Sci major Minor in physical science. 2 Associates in Biology
  6. Clinical Experience:
    1. Scribe in ED 3500 ish
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 2 clinical research stuff no pubs
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 100ish ; EM, ENT, OR
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Cancelled s/p COVID
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. AMSA officer
    2. President
    3. Summa Cum Laude/lots of awards and scholarships
  11. Other Notes
    1. Have an interest in rural/urban underserved populations
    2. Strong LORS
  12. Tentative School List: 42 schools 31 MD 11 DO
should i retake my MCAT?
I can't recommend applying until you retake the MCAT and do much better. Your score puts you in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing boards.

You're DOA for MD and many DO, including my school. Heck, even LUCOM has standards

I can't recommend applying until you retake the MCAT and do much better. Your score puts you in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing boards.

You're DOA for MD and many DO, including my school. Heck, even LUCOM has standards
The data shows that only 30% of applicants with a MCAT score in the range of 491 to 499 were accepted to DO schools. They would be mainly those in the 497 to 499 range. Ideally you would retake the MCAT and score 500 or higher. Your low science section scores are concerning. @Goro what is your opinion ?

Okay I appreciate your honesty. I will grind it out and take it in August.

Post your new score here when available and I will suggest schools based on you new score.
Thank you. is it okay if I take in August or will I be getting screened out and have to apply next cycle :(

You may be screened out at some schools so wait until your new score is available. A September application is not late for DO schools.

Hello Goro
I really want to apply to some SMP that has linkage to a medical school. I want to improve my resume for residency and I will be more prepared for medical school ( i am good at studying for school). A few medical schools have post-bacc/masters programs that will help me secure an interview if my MCAT is above their minimum requirement (my retake is for a number of schools) and if I do not screw up. I understand it is for GPA repair, but my science GPA of 3.4 ish (3.5+ for AACOMAS) can be amended (this is from being undecided on premed my freshman year, I am a 4.0 student every year after that). I have money to pay for it, and I will live by myself and not be working in the program so I believe I am capable of doing well. I would appreciate an objective opinion on this route because I believe you have some ties to one.
Please Let Me know

Hello Goro
I really want to apply to some SMP that has linkage to a medical school. I want to improve my resume for residency and I will be more prepared for medical school ( i am good at studying for school). A few medical schools have post-bacc/masters programs that will help me secure an interview if my MCAT is above their minimum requirement (my retake is for a number of schools) and if I do not screw up. I understand it is for GPA repair, but my science GPA of 3.4 ish (3.5+ for AACOMAS) can be amended (this is from being undecided on premed my freshman year, I am a 4.0 student every year after that). I have money to pay for it, and I will live by myself and not be working in the program so I believe I am capable of doing well. I would appreciate an objective opinion on this route because I believe you have some ties to one.
Please Let Me know
It's foolish to attend to special master's program if your GPA already shows that you can handle medical school. If you want to better prepare yourself for medical school, just take some more upper-level courses.

Otherwise just do well on the MCAT anyd work on your extracurriculars

It's foolish to attend to special master's program if your GPA already shows that you can handle medical school. If you want to better prepare yourself for medical school, just take some more upper-level courses.

You are going to rip me to shreds, but the master's program requires a 90% average in the program and an MCAT over 490 to be interviewed at the medical school (almost everyone from the SMP gets accepted). This will help my chances of getting an acceptance without retaking the MCAT. I have more confidence in my ability to do well at the SMP than to get a significantly higher MCAT score. For the MCAT, I studied for 7 months and did everything on the planet and all it did was make me more depressed without helping my score out significantly lol

You may be screened out at some schools so wait until your new score is available. A September application is not late for DO schools.

500 mcat balanced
picked up a tutoring job + 2 upper-division biology classes since the last post. 30+ secondaries sent to MD/DO schools before my score came back. please let me know

You said an hour ago you didn’t want to retake the MCAT and now you have a new score. And how did you pick up 2 upper division biology classes since your last post? Even if you did retake and scored a 500 you’re still too low for any MD school! Your post is very confusing and for a change, I’m not tired!

You are going to rip me to shreds, but the master's program requires a 90% average in the program and an MCAT over 490 to be interviewed at the medical school (almost everyone from the SMP gets accepted). This will help my chances of getting an acceptance without retaking the MCAT. I have more confidence in my ability to do well at the SMP than to get a significantly higher MCAT score. For the MCAT, I studied for 7 months and did everything on the planet and all it did was make me more depressed without helping my score out significantly lol
So you're looking for confirmation of your choice?

How many times did you take the MCAT? You report a 494 and then a 500. You're fine for tons of DO schools right now with your stats, even as a 2x MCAT taker.

If you're trolling us, get ready for a Banhmmer smack.

Reactions: 1 user
You said an hour ago you didn’t want to retake the MCAT and now you have a new score. And how did you pick up 2 upper division biology classes since your last post? Even if you did retake and scored a 500 you’re still too low for any MD school! Your post is very confusing and for a change, I’m not tired!

How many times did you take the MCAT? You report a 494 and then a 500. You're fine for tons of DO schools right now with your stats, even as a 2x MCAT taker.

Do you have an actual new MCAT score of 500 ?

1. I retook the MCAT on 8/14 and got a 500 after I got a 494 on a test I took on 6/19. I do not want to take it for a 3rd time.
2. I signed up for classes while waiting for my score to prepare to reapply and pad the stats ( you can do this as a post-bacc)
3. Sorry for confusing everyone.

Thank you, Goro for your input. I think as a pre-med I doubt myself but it is good to keep my options open.

1. I retook the MCAT on 8/14 and got a 500 after I got a 494 on a test I took on 6/19. I do not want to take it for a 3rd time.
2. I signed up for classes while waiting for my score to prepare to reapply and pad the stats ( you can do this as a post-bacc)
3. Sorry for confusing everyone.
You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your new MCAT of 500:
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (Elmira, Seton Hill, Erie)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia