This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meherdesigns

Reaction score
USMD rising M3
Low tier med school
50th percentile class rank
Step 1: 219
2+ work experiences in anesthesia
2+ pubs, abstracts, presentations so far
3+ volunteer (not that it matters)

At a crossroad before clinical rotations begin. Not sure whether I should look into PM&R or stick with my dream of gas residency. Planning to apply total of 20-25 schools, mid-tiers as reach and low-tiers to be realistic. What are my chances and any advice for programs to look into?

Members don't see this ad.

USMD rising M3
Low tier med school
50th percentile class rank
Step 1: 219
2+ work experiences in anesthesia
2+ pubs, abstracts, presentations so far
3+ volunteer (not that it matters)

At a crossroad before clinical rotations begin. Not sure whether I should look into PM&R or stick with my dream of gas residency. Planning to apply total of 20-25 schools, mid-tiers as reach and low-tiers to be realistic. What are my chances and any advice for programs to look into?

Smart. As long as you include those lower tier (bottom tier) programs you may match. Apply to 25 programs because 5 should be midtier (why not) and 20 bottom tier.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf The magic number on Step 1 is 222. You may still have a shot due to your research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You will match if you’re smart how you apply. I’d apply to all the programs in your region and farther out to include a good mix of about 30 programs. A step 2 >250 would open doors for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Smart. As long as you include those lower tier (bottom tier) programs you may match. Apply to 25 programs because 5 should be midtier (why not) and 20 bottom tier.

The magic number on Step 1 is 222. You may still have a shot due to your research.
Thanks for the post. Top tiers are easy to spot, but I'm having difficulty understanding what programs qualify as mid tier vs low tier. *Correct me if I'm wrong in the following rankings*

Being from the Southeast I would say (parenthesis is minimum to even apply):
High tiers (>230 step 1) = Vandy, Duke
Mid tiers (>220 step 1) = Emory, UAB, Miami, UF, Mayo Jacksonville, Medical College of Georgia, Kentucky
Low tiers (>215 step 1) = all others?

Thanks for the post. Top tiers are easy to spot, but I'm having difficulty understanding what programs qualify as mid tier vs low tier. *Correct me if I'm wrong in the following rankings*

Mid tiers (>220 step 1) = Emory, UAB, Miami, UF, Mayo Jacksonville, Medical College of Georgia, Kentucky

See how you named a bunch of brand-name sort of places? Institutions you’ve heard of?

Look at the list of anesthesiology programs. If it’s a regional community program that seems sort of random, that’s what you are looking for (“Kendall Regional”) Blade, as usual, is correct - you can apply to mid-tiers but you probably won’t get much love. Search out community programs.

Reactions: 1 users

Nothing wrong with those rankings. Emory, wake, Virginia, UAB, UNC will be tough for you. Vandy and Duke almost certainly out. The other mid tiers you listed plus Tenn, VCU, MUSC might give you some love especially if you can get a good step 2 score. Agreed with above poster I think of low tiers generally as random community programs not asssociated with universities.

Realistically high tier is 240+ and mid tier is 230+. I know of one mid tier program that PD straight up told me their average step 1 score was in 240s. Sure you can match with lower scores, but odds are against you. Scores drop precipitously for the lower tier programs I think.