MD WAMC: Would love feedback on my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drinking-coffeeeeee

Reaction score
State of Residence: NC
URM: N (I think? female, white & Hispanic (Colombian))
Undergrad: Biology B.S. + Chemistry Minor (already graduated)
cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 520 (128/129/132/131)
Research Experience: 2 labs in undergrad (1800+ hours)
Publications/Abstracts/Posters: 1 publication as first author, 1 publication as middle author, 1 abstract, 1 acknowledgement and 3 poster presentations. (Potentially more publications in the future as a middle author).
Clinical Experience: Volunteer: worked with pediatric patients at the children’s hospital doing science experiments to help ease anxiety about procedures/being in the hospital(~100hrs), starting this back up once COVID chills. EMT certified but only went on a few ride alongs (~24hrs). I know this is loooow, I’m currently applying to medical scribe/assistant/EMT jobs, but haven’t had much luck.
Physician Shadowing: ~200 hours (peds: surgery, anesthesiology, cardiology, intensive care, and oncology + adult cardiology and ophthalmology)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: Chair on the executive board (+ prior sub chair position) of a non profit that benefits the local children’s hospital + various volunteering for that organization (1000+ hours), slide library of surgical pathology lab at local hospital (~200hr)
Other Extracurricular Activities: Member of sorority & professional fraternity (some volunteering with those), post graduation I’ve picked up learning ballet, yoga, and French :)
Other Employment History: Worked as a waitress & bartender throughout undergrad (3yr, 10hrs/week). Post grad have worked at a pharma company (1.5yr)

FWIW, I have a personal connection to pediatrics which is why a lot of my shadowing and ECs are focused there & is a big reason why I want to go into medicine.

Medical School List: My list feels too top heavy right now, looking to apply to ~20-25.
Hopkins, UPenn, Stanford, Columbia, Pitt, UMichigan, UChicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Mount Sinai, Baylor**, UNC, Case Western, Boston, UVA, UColorado, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Georgetown, UMiami, University of Illinois, East Carolina
Maybe: Penn state, UMinnesota, Arizona, USF

**I know Baylor is now with Texas school applications so this one might be cut too

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally remove Hopkins, Stanford, and Colorado but add Duke. Everything else looks okay to me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need some nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved. In other words get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Start dealing with people who are unlike yourself. You have way more than enough shadowing. And you are aware of your low number of hours in clinical experiences. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You need some nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved. In other words get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Start dealing with people who are unlike yourself. You have way more than enough shadowing. And you are aware of your low number of hours in clinical experiences. Good luck.
That totally makes sense! Thanks for your feedback!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools from your list:
Stanford
Columbia
Pitt
U Michigan
U Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Baylor
UNC
Case Western
Boston
UVA
U Colorado
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Georgetown
U Miami
East Carolina
You could add any of these schools:
Einstein
NYU
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
USF Morsani
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Washington University

I suggest these schools from your list:
Stanford
Columbia
Pitt
U Michigan
U Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Baylor
UNC
Case Western
Boston
UVA
U Colorado
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Georgetown
U Miami
East Carolina
You could add any of these schools:
Einstein
NYU
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
USF Morsani
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Washington University
OP, invest in MSAR, and use it to cull from Faha's list those schools where your GPAs would be < their 10th %iles.

But keep WashU, Stanford and Northwestern.

Add Emory, Tufts, Mayo, U VM. WAKE