WAMC - weird situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1106792

hey everyone,

I recently left a healthcare professional program (finished first year) and currently in the process of applying for med school.
I have a lot of volunteering/leadership in URM communities, clinical work (mainly in the previous healthcare field I was in) and some in medicine, lots of research with a few co-author papers, but my gpa is below average for most MDs (3.5-3.6).

Does anyone have any advise if its worth shooting my shot next year given that I had previously withdrawn from a program and my GPA is not that great? I still need to take the MCAT, and though easier said than done, I'm working my butt off to score 510+

Any advise is greatly appreciated, ty!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you leave your other school? this is a huge factor so without the full story of why you left and a real MCAT score no one can tell you if you have a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you leave your other school? this is a huge factor so without the full story of why you left and a real MCAT score no one can tell you if you have a chance.
Nothing due to my academics or any of that sort. I did pretty well in all of my courses. I wanted to pursue med from the very beginning but did not due to many reasons including family but after my first year, I realized that my interests and passions were still in medicine. I know I wasted a year and there may be some consequences for leaving that program, so I'm just trying to look forward and work my way into compensating for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

I recently left a healthcare professional program (finished first year) and currently in the process of applying for med school.
I have a lot of volunteering/leadership in URM communities, clinical work (mainly in the previous healthcare field I was in) and some in medicine, lots of research with a few co-author papers, but my gpa is below average for most MDs (3.5-3.6).

Does anyone have any advise if its worth shooting my shot next year given that I had previously withdrawn from a program and my GPA is not that great? I still need to take the MCAT, and though easier said than done, I'm working my butt off to score 510+

Any advise is greatly appreciated, ty!!
Are you URM?

You'll need to make in your essays a coherent case that you are running to Medicine and not merely bailing on DDS. The worry is that you'd bail on Medicine in the same way.
Thank you and I for sure am. In such case, do you think this is possible to do? (given a descent MCAT score >510, compelling arguments of switching, lots of research with biomedical applications, medical shadowing, but a 3.5-3.6 GPA?

Thank you and I for sure am. In such case, do you think this is possible to do? (given a descent MCAT score >510, compelling arguments of switching, lots of research with biomedical applications, medical shadowing, but a 3.5-3.6 GPA?
Absolutely, even for ORM. You will need to Shadow Physicians, get clinical experience with patients, and non-clinical volunteering. Research helps but it's not necessary. Your dental experience will not count

Reactions: 1 user