WAMC (weak dental LOR)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepental

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 4, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.55 (last 4 semesters my avg was a 3.85)
Science GPA: 3.56 (last 4 semesters my avg was a 3.97)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23AA 23TS 26PAT 23Bio 22gchem 23orgo 23qr 26rc
State of Residence: NY (NYC if relevant)

Major: Int Neuroscience
Minority? No (Asian immigrant)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No (gap year though)

Shadowing Experience: 200+ at pediatric office 10-20 at a GP owned by the same company another 10-20 from another GP
Volunteering Experience: 500+ at a local elementary school where i was a teacher's assistant 100~ from general clubs 200~ from a local soup kitchen church (got strong LORs from these)
Employment: 500+ hours as a DA in a pediatric office currently working at a GP office so only like 80~
Research: none outside of classes
Other Extracurriculars: Nu rho psi (neuroscience honor society), pre-dental club, advocacy lead for PIH
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list, Cum Laude, micro-credential for presenting about service to local communities
LOR type and strength: 6 total: 2 science 1 English (VERY STRONG ALL) 1 dentist (WEAK LESS THAN HALF A PAGE) 2 community leaders (volunteering VERY STRONG)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am mainly concerned about my weak dentist LOR and its because I requested it super early on (last year) like the neurotic predental student I am (oops) and didn't realize until now where I feel like it's too late or risky to get a resubmission. I do believe that I can currently get a slightly better LOR if I asked right now but could delay app by a month or more because I did a committee letter so there are a lot of channels to pass through. BE REALISTIC AND HARSH ABOUT the OVERALL APP WHEN GIVING OPINIONS PLEASE AND thank you!
School list:

Buffalo, Stony, Columbia, NYU, Touro, Tufts, Pitt, Temple, Rutgers, LECOM.

Members don't see this ad.

you dont need a dentist lor, frankly, you would be fine. Any school that does require it you can have them send directly to the school. 6 LORs is too many, you can only have 4. I try to suggest, 2 Sci, 1 supervisor(volunteer, job, research), and then a nonscience or dentist.

For your case, I would recommend the 2 science, 1 community leader, and then the English. That should cover most, if not all, school requirements. Columbia I believe requires 3 science as well, so I would double-check each school you're planning on.
  • "Three confidential letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee must be submitted directly to AADSAS. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement."

you dont need a dentist lor, frankly, you would be fine. Any school that does require it you can have them send directly to the school. 6 LORs is too many, you can only have 4. I try to suggest, 2 Sci, 1 supervisor(volunteer, job, research), and then a nonscience or dentist.

For your case, I would recommend the 2 science, 1 community leader, and then the English. That should cover most, if not all, school requirements. Columbia I believe requires 3 science as well, so I would double-check each school you're planning on.
  • "Three confidential letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee must be submitted directly to AADSAS. Additional letters of recommendation from employers or non-science professors will be accepted, but will not satisfy the requirement."
Hi! Thank you for your response. I am not going to lie I thought dentist LOR was required for every school lol. I dont need to worry about the limit because its all going to be sent in as 1 packet through a committee letter