WAMC uGPA 3.28, gradGPA 3.7, MCAT 511, NY resident, thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blizzetta

Reaction score
Hello!! :)

Scores:
Undergrad: 3.28 (freshman: 3.3, sophomore: 3.03, junior: 3.2, senior: 3.5) Syracuse university
Grad: 3.7, Masters of biomedical science 26 credits
MCAT: 511 (125, 126, 129, 131)

Personal:
24yo white woman
Grew up in CT, been a resident of NY for 3 years

Research:
Undergrad researcher = 3416hrs (4 years)
GYN cancer research Lab = 4000hrs (job as research tech for 2 years)
Breast cancer research lab + masters= 1680hrs (part time tech and student 1yr)
3 publications middle author, 2 Abstracts (1 undergrad 4 postgrad)

Clinical Experience:
Volunteering underserved Harlem clinic: 308hrs
Volunteering in ER for sexual assault victims: 504hrs
Shadowing various physicians: 68hrs

Other:
Started small company in 2016 w/ 20K from pitch competitions (failed lol but it was a good try)
Started recycling program in my town that has been going for 10yrs
Hobbies: Certified scuba diver, glass blower
Been working since I was 16, various jobs including waitress, barista, bartender etc

Submitted primary app June 30th, had to wait for my spring grades to come out :/ hopefully not too late

I need help narrowing down my MD school list and also any suggestions for some DO schools that fit my qualifications, I have so far only looked into MD schools. It is hard for me to narrow down because my uGPA is low but better GPA in grad. Any suggestions or thoughts about anything would be helpful. My personal statement was focusing on my work in my community, and working with survivors of sexual assault + with undocumented patients in Harlem, my passion! Thank you so much for your help!!

Possible Schools?
(I am most interested in Schools in NY, CT, and Florida where I have family/friends)
Florida State
Michigan State
UC Riverside
Washington State
Albany Medical College
Toledo
Rush
University of South Carolina -Columbia
Louisiana State New Orleans
Loma Linda
Medical College of Wisconsin
Upstate
Queen's University
University of Arizona
UC Davis
Florida International
Wake Forest
Buffalo
George Washinton
University of Illinois
University of Washington
Vermont
Tulane
South Carolina College
Oregon Health and Science
University of Minnesota
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Penn State
Eastern Virginia
Uniformed Services Edward Herbert
Nova Southeastern
California Northstate
Rutgers
Hawaii
Virginia Tech
UCLA
Georgetown
SUNY Downstate
University of Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
Rowan
Quinnipiac
California University Science and medicine
University of Florida
University of Colorado
Thomas Jefferson
UMiami
Tufts
Central Florida
Emory
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
UCSF
NYU long island
Florida Atlantic
Hackensack
New York Medical College
UC San diego
UC irvine
Rochester
USC keck
Brown
Stony Brook
Kaiser Permanante
NYU Grossman
Yale
Boston U
University of Michigan
Icahn School of Medicine (where I am doing my masters)
USF
Hofstra
Weill Cornell
Northwestern
Columbia

Yeah I know this is a crazy list and I am very unqualified for some of these schools, I am trying to narrow the list down and finding it so hard, I don't have a premed advisor or anyone to talk through this with so please if you have any advice or around 40 I should choose from this list please let me know! Thank you again. ❤️

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few (if any) non residents with your GPA. UC Riverside admits zero non residents, Florida State only 3 or 4 per year, Washington State only 5, etc. Your best chances are DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~1/3 chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
If you are applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.

Reactions: 1 user
Is Boston or Philadelphia out of range for you? You will have plenty of schools to consider without having to come up with a national list and save some time/ money. Where is your SMP located? The "home team" and surrounding schools are also good targets.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD schools aren’t impressed by Masters programs unless yours is a real SMP. Is it? If your program is a SMP what are the linkage opportunities for you? DO schools are impressed and use your grad GPA along with your uGPA. You need many DO schools on your list.

Do you have any nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved /immigrant population etc in your community?

Be prepared to answer the question “why not a PhD instead?” You have almost 10000k hours of research. That’s a lot.

Good luck.

Is Boston or Philadelphia out of range for you? You will have plenty of schools to consider without having to come up with a national list and save some time/ money. Where is your SMP located? The "home team" and surrounding schools are also good targets.
SMP at Icahn school of medicine, NYC

You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few (if any) non residents with your GPA. UC Riverside admits zero non residents, Florida State only 3 or 4 per year, Washington State only 5, etc. Your best chances are DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~1/3 chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
If you are applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August.
thank you so much