WAMC: Sophmore Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fms2022

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep doing well in your classes. Aim for as high as you can on the MCAT, but you don’t need it to cover any weaknesses. Gain some more non-clinical volunteering to the underserved, such as at a women’s shelter, soup kitchen, Big Brothers Big Sisters (if you are open to committing long term), Habitat for Humanity etc. If you’re still scribing, it would be good to keep that up too. You don’t have to tutor if you find yourself short on time.

What ethnic background do you come from? It might be a good idea to network with some organizations to gain a better idea about different schools as you get closer to applying.

Hi, I am (South Asian)ORM and Eastern European and also 1rst gen. Does me being ORM negatively impact my application, and if so can I identify as biracial? Thank you for your advice. I will look into those volunteer experiences.
You can mark both down on AMCAS in the section where they ask for race. No, it won't negatively impact your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
Currently, I am a sophmore at a small accredited university. Here are my current stats. I would appreciate any advice on how I can improve my application and please suggest what I should get on the MCAT to accomodate for my weaknesses. I hope to apply at the end of my junior year, do you think this is feasible?

cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.81
Clinical experience: 200+hours as a patient sitter, 200+ hours as a medical scribe, 148 hours shadowing physicians
Volunteering: 100+ hours at a local nursing home
Research: I plan on doing two semesters of research next year.
Tutoring: 1. Psychology, 2. Molecular and Cellular Biology
Club Positions: President of a Women in Stem Club
MCATs: yet to take
Publications: 2 as a co-author
Race: Mixed
Sounds pretty good. Get some non clinical volunteering and with a good MCAT you should be set.

Thank you! Is an online crisis worker a good idea for non-clinical volunteer hours? Also, is volunteering at the nursing home clinical or non-clinical? I assumed it non-clinical was because I prepare meals, transport them, and decorate rooms for various events.
I would try to do something in person like a soup kitchen or food bank. I would consider the nursing home thing clinical.

It is MORE than feasible. Kick butt on the MCAT and keep on truckin’ like you are and you’ll be fine.

You're doing well. Make MCAT your next priority while maintaining your grades at this level. You'll be fine to apply at the end of junior year.