This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeadentistbaby

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Should I apply to more schools? I was hesitant to apply to schools that I would not attend if it was my only acceptance. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thank you! PS please be nice on my thread.

Date of submission: AADSAS submitted 6/18
Overall GPA: 3.52
DAT score: 24 AA

LOR type and strength: four strong letters from a biology professor, a history professor, a dentist I shadowed, and my work boss; one mediocre letter from another biology professor (needed another science and did not form as good of a relationship due to COVID - this letter is not bad by any means, just a little basic.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! I would recommend applying to more schools. OOS is difficult on its own, and Texas schools are more difficult than that - but it sounds like you understand that. Also, Harvard has an average GPA of 3.9+, so they obviously care a lot about that. Overall, I would recommend maybe adding some more. S_Diamond_DDS has a good list below.

We have relatively similar stats, so it will be exciting to see where you end up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I would recommend applying to more schools. OOS is difficult on its own, and Texas schools are more difficult than that - but it sounds like you understand that. Also, your two private schools are fairly difficult to get into, so I would recommend maybe adding some more.

agreed
OP basically applied to 3 schools...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I count 2 strong selections- LSU and penn. Typically, I recommend 8-10 IS/oos friendly schools for someone with your profile. Cheaper schools that are still relatively oos friendly are: the AT stills, umich, pitt, uconn (but uconn has a small class size, thus less chance here), western (75% of class from CA, so less chance here). Since you have a high DAT- columbia might be an option. I also believe it’s always good to add some number of private schools (in your case several) with large class sizes to your list as safety schools, pick your poison: MWU-IL, UDM, BU, roseman, Tufts, Nyu, usc, lecom, nova, une, creighton, case, temple, (touro I think)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes apply to more schools, you chose a very narrow school list. I would apply to 5 more Programs that accept OOS and are Private (Cost more)

Reactions: 1 user