MD & DO WAMC/School List - ORM (510 / 3.68cGPA / 3.55sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurtBro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS cGPA: 3.68, AMCAS sGPA: 3.55, AACOMAS sGPA: 3.52
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown 510, (129/126/127/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) Maryland, US-born
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian-American Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category UMBC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) ~1100 hrs total: (~900hrs scribing, ~120 hours volunteering at UMMC Shock Trauma. Now am currently a unit support aide there with ~60 hours worked so far.
  7. Research experience and productivity Worked in cardiac pathology lab at Johns Hopkins for 1.5 years on project, no publication.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented 70 hours in Primary Care and Internal Medicine. ~50 hours in Emergency Medicine.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering Delivering food for local church (4 hours a week). Will continue to do through gap year.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Chemistry Tutor and Orgo Learning Assistant for a semester and year respectively. Played table tennis for 4 years (President senior year). Worked as a Tutor for foster kids one semester.
  11. Relevant honors or awards. Co-author on a bacteriophage genome NCBI entry through school's phage hunter program.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important. GPA is a solid upward trend from bad first semester (3.0gpa).
gpa trend.jpg

Here is my current school list. Just want to get some opinions before I go ahead and submit. Do you think I'm applying to too many schools? Am I undershooting too much? Most of the 'reach schools' I am applying, stats are within 10-25% percentile. Would like to think that my ECs allow me to punch above my weight, but I'm also an asian guy. I would also like to stay on the East Coast which is close to my family (maryland) if at all possible, but I can be flexible.

school list 6-1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Maryland
George Washington
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Your DO list is good.

Reactions: 1 user
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Maryland
George Washington
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Your DO list is good.
Why St. Louis and Wayne State?
St. Louis may be a far reach since my sGPA is below it's 10th percentile.
Wayne State is also a public school and seems to accept a low amount of OOS.

Why St. Louis and Wayne State?
St. Louis may be a far reach since my sGPA is below it's 10th percentile.
Wayne State is also a public school and seems to accept a low amount of OOS.
Wayne State admitted 101 non residents last year. That is larger than the size of the entire class in some other medical schools. St. Louis likes applicants with with large clinical exposure hours.

Reactions: 1 user