WAMC/School List Help! (Texas, ORM, high stats)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roundgarlic

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior, and I'm trying to start building a realistic list of medical schools to apply to, that way I have a solid idea of the direction I'm trying to head when I start applying in May of 2023. Putting some general background info about me and my application below!

1. cGPA/sGPA both currently 4.0, could drop a little after this semester because of some tough classes but I don't anticipate it dropping to below a 3.95 by the time of applying.
2. I scored a 526 (131/132/132/131) on my MCAT.
3. I'm a Texas resident and a US citizen.
4. I'm an ORM (Indian-American).
5. I go to a decently-ranked state school in dual honors programs, on a full-ride scholarship. I received a distinction last year that I was in the top 4% of both of my degree programs. I really want to go OOS for medical school, preferably in a big city. I'm worried that because I'm coming from Texas it'll be harder for me because schools know that Texas medical schools have significantly cheaper tuition, but because of the scholarship, I've saved a lot of money during undergrad that I will put towards medical school so cost isn't as big of a factor in my decision.
6. I'm on leadership for a free clinic that serves people experiencing homelessness, and I volunteer there in a clinical setting as well. About 100 hours of clinical volunteering.
7. I'm co-author on a review paper that was published in Contraception, and I'm currently working on another research project in the field of women's health that I designed to write up our results and submit our work to a journal. I'm going to the Society for Family Planning conference this year, and I will be moderating a panel there. I also work in a molecular biology lab, and we are on track to have publishable results by the time I graduate next year (hopefully!). I'll also be writing a senior honors thesis, and I hope to do some of my own data collection to contribute to my argument and conclusions. I think this will culminate in about 300-400 hours of research.
8. I've shadowed an OBGYN, and I'll have about 20 shadowing hours from her by the time I apply. I'm looking for other shadowing experiences, but I'm having trouble finding any.
9. I'm in a women's honorary service organization and we do a year-long service project before we get initiated into the organization. Our service project is based on supporting refugees in my city and helping students at disadvantaged middle/high schools with their college readiness. I feel like this will culminate in 100-150 service hours over the next year.
10. I started an organization at my school to help students get better access to safe-sex supplies for free, and we advocate with administration along with Student Government for the placement of a vending machine on campus that includes health and wellness products. I'm in a women's service organization where we complete a service project over the course of a year as well as volunteer with longstanding community organizations outside of that in a non-clinical setting. I work as a TA, although that is more just to get some extra money!
11. Some relevant honors are I'm the recipient of two merit-based scholarships, one of which is pretty recognizable at least within Texas. I was also recently nominated for a Student Excellence Award, but won't know about receiving that for some time!
12. Overall, I think my application is more service and primary care based rather than intense research and clinical science based.

I'll be applying to Texas schools, and the ones that I would seriously consider going to are Baylor, UT Southwestern, and UT McGovern. My dream schools right now include Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and UChicago Pritzker. I really like OHSU and their mission/values, but I know they're super selective about OOS applications and I'm not sure if I fit their profile. I also want to apply to Boston University and UMass Chan because I love Boston and would love to be near there. I wanted to apply to UW until I realized they basically don't take OOS applicants. UCSF has taken a really strong stand on reproductive health accessibility, more than most medical schools I've seen, which really draws me to them as well because I'm interested in OBGYN and complex family planning.

I would really appreciate any advice on additional schools to apply to, how to best research and pick schools, or anything else that might help in me maximizing my chances to not only get in to medical school, but go OOS for medical school.

Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please format your post using the below template (bullet points are good) and include hours for your activities so we can best help you:

Please format your post using the below template (bullet points are good) and include hours for your activities so we can best help you:

Reformatted!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the stellar stats that very competitive schools like to see when poaching Texas applicants, but don’t have the ECs to back it up (and those hours are ones you are projecting you’ll have). I would not say your application is service based when it will end up being just 200 or so hours across both clinical volunteering and your community service. It may be in your best interest to take a gap year to continue bulking those hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you may catch up with your service hours but doing something that is off campus or not associated with your university will probably take your application to the level of attention that your want.

I would however do a good amount of networking. Your specific areas of interest should get you attention at schools, but it is always good to get an inside look. I also understand if state politics are such that you may narrow down your choice.

Is your 100 hours of clinical volunteering your only clinical experience? If so, taking a gap year and boosting that up would be a big plus.