WAMC/ School List Help (GPA 3.78, MCAT 517); VA resident, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btsbaby

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am a current reapplicant, I am still on two WL from last year (Drexel and EVMS) but prepping for a reapp. Would like help with my school list! It should be noted I came into last year's cycle with ZERO non clinical community service hours on my app, which I believe was my main drawback.

Virginia Resident, ORM, Attended University of Pittsburgh for undergrad
GPA: 3.78 MCAT 517
Clinical experience: ~ 800 as PCT +1600 in gap year
Clinical volunteering: 100
Nonclinical volunteering: ~250: Homeless shelter, providing supplies to local underserved communities, hospice (yes, I'd say my experience would count as nonclinical more than clinical)
Research: Oncology research ~300 hr
Couple of leadership positions at school through pre health student orgs; UTA in biochem,
Passions in primary care, patient and community interaction, palliative care/end of life care, family medicine

Last year's school list: 2 II, 2 WL
Einstein
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
GW
Hackensack
Loyola Stritch
Oakland
Penn State
Vermont
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY Upstate
Miami
Minnesota
Pittsburgh
UVA
University of Wisconsin
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
WVU

Thinking about removing Einstein, Stritch, Oakland, SUNY, Miami, Minnesota, and Wisconsin
Thinking about adding Rosalind Franklin, Geisinger

Would really appreciate any advice on schools to add (or keep) and that fit my passions and application

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many of your non-clinical volunteering hours did you add since last cycle, or is ~250 your current total at the time of submission? Please break down how many hours per activity you listed.

That said, the number of hours you may have had may not have been enough for high-hour service schools. From those on your list, Loyola would stand out as needing more hours. Drexel might need more hours too since they are a high-volume program, but you had something to give you an II with them.

Shadowing? What did you do with clinical volunteering?

You had one Virginia II (EVMS), so I'm not sure why VCU and UVa passed on you. It can't be just the GPA/MCAT (I think you're fine there). VT-C may want more research or more interest in rural health.

Check your OOS stats for the public schools on the list (like Minnesota and Wisconsin).

Reactions: 1 users
How many of your non-clinical volunteering hours did you add since last cycle, or is ~250 your current total at the time of submission? Please break down how many hours per activity you listed.

That said, the number of hours you may have had may not have been enough for high-hour service schools. From those on your list, Loyola would stand out as needing more hours. Drexel might need more hours too since they are a high-volume program, but you had something to give you an II with them.

Shadowing? What did you do with clinical volunteering?

You had one Virginia II (EVMS), so I'm not sure why VCU and UVa passed on you. It can't be just the GPA/MCAT (I think you're fine there). VT-C may want more research or more interest in rural health.

Check your OOS stats for the public schools on the list (like Minnesota and Wisconsin).
Thanks!

Nonclinical volunteering: 125 from hospice volunteering which I put as clinical volunteering last app, but upon reevaluation I believe my experience had more nonclinical implications thus I will be putting it as nonclinical this cycle; Since last app, added 75 from Global links (providing supplies to communities), 25 from serving homeless, 25 from marathon volunteering
-- I will continue nonclinical community service this year, hoping to add another 150-200 hours for next year's app if necessary

Shadowing~70 hrs with 4 different specialties

Clinical volunteering ~100 hr in hospital (picked up walkers and brought things to patients)

I suggest these schools when you reapply:
EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth
U Virginia
West Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh