MD WAMC/School List Help (3.92/524, research heavy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesbianherbs

Reaction score
Answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Three years since your degree? Could you break down your activities hours since graduating? Was all you non-clinical volunteering hours done after you graduated?

Where did you grow up in New England, and why is medicine your calling?

Apply to all the schools you have on both your lists. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your shadowing is quite low given your 3 year break from undergraduate, I think it should be closer to the 100-150 hours minimum mark mostly in primary care, but that could be nit-picking since you do have 400 hours as an EMT and 1000+ hours in scribe work. Only piece of suggestion I could offer is to aim to get more shadowing hours in before you submit your primaries at the end of May and the Faha's school selection as well as yours is solid.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to all the schools you have on both your lists. You could add these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Kaiser
Thanks so much for the advice!

Your shadowing is quite low given your 3 year break from undergraduate, I think it should be closer to the 100-150 hours minimum mark mostly in primary care, but that could be nit-picking since you do have 400 hours as an EMT and 1000+ hours in scribe work. Only piece of suggestion I could offer is to aim to get more shadowing hours in before you submit your primaries at the end of May and the Faha's school selection as well as yours is solid.
Thank you for the advice! My scribing is in family medicine, and it’s basically shadowing with extra work so I figured that would suffice. I could potentially shadow other FM docs though, and/or shadow in cardiology for a day or two if you think that would help my app.

Thank you for the advice! My scribing is in family medicine, and it’s basically shadowing with extra work so I figured that would suffice. I could potentially shadow other FM docs though, and/or shadow in cardiology for a day or two if you think that would help my app.
You could subtract 50 hours from your scribing total and put it as a shadowing entry on AMCAS.

100%, the more shadowing hours you can accumulate until you submit your primary application at the end of May, the better. I would immediately look into shadowing more FM doctors around you as you stated for about a week or two to accumulate around 50-100 additional hours at the minimum total, just as chilly_md stated.

With your family connections to the New England region (ah yes, the research hub of the east coast) and overall solid mission-fit of your entire application from what I see, if you write your PS and secondaries well, you should receive several II's and have a successful cycle.

Reactions: 1 user