WAMC/School List Help: 3.6c 3.7s MCAT 523

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockchalk00

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning on applying to medical school during the 2023-2024 cycle. Some background: I was originally a political science major and HATED it and did not do well. I switched to biology second semester of freshman year and then got sent home for COVID halfway through the semester, so all of my grades are P/F for that semester. I have an upward trend from my first semester. However, with COVID, getting clinical experience has been extremely difficult. I'm going to be working as a medical assistant/scribe this summer and will do that during my gap year, so all of my clinical hours will be from the two years prior to submitting my application if that makes sense.
  1. Major: biology and sociology
  2. cGPA: 3.63 and sGPA: 3.5
  3. MCAT score: 523
  4. State of residence: State schools already on list, not CA/TX
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: URM, receive FAP
  6. Undergraduate institution or category: T30
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Projected >2200 hours. Will have 400 hours this summer + one year of working full time up to matriculation
  8. Research experience and productivity: 400 hours on healthcare inequalities with a poster, will have another 400 by matriculation on the same topic
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours cardiologist
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: remote volunteer for an international med organization focused on underserved populations 200 hours, in person another international med organization but focused on US 100 hours, student support group leader 150 hours
  11. Other extracurricular activities: student health group (leadership role) 350 hours by the time I apply, student government (two different leadership roles) 500 hours by the time I apply, social justice learning experience 16 hours, mental health organization 50 hours, dance club 200 hours
  12. Relevant honors or awards: Getting a research award at my school comes with a position title and is highly competitive, but I don't know if that counts.
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I worked in a high level retail position during school breaks and when COVID hit that taught me a lot about how to be a decent person and interact with others. I'd say I have about 2000-3000 hours from doing that. I also work in an office at my school and have about 200 hours right now.
Some schools I'm considering are Tufts, Dartmouth, Georgetown, and Keck. I know clinical experience is what's killing my application right now which is why I'm taking a gap year. I'm also wondering if my non-clinical volunteering is enough, or if I should try to do more direct volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

No need for you to take another year. You should apply this upcoming cycle. 400 clinical hours is plenty and your non-clinical volunteering looks fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?
1/2 African, not Hispanic but am fluent in Spanish, state of residence is KS

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Kansas
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Indiana
U Michigan
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
Tufts
USC Keck
Kaiser
Your lack of clinical and non clinical volunteering at the time you submit your application will limit your chances for interviews. The more hours you can put on your application (not projected) when you apply in June or July the better your chances are.

Hi everyone. I'm planning on applying to medical school during the 2023-2024 cycle. ...
I know clinical experience is what's killing my application right now which is why I'm taking a gap year. I'm also wondering if my non-clinical volunteering is enough, or if I should try to do more direct volunteering.
Have you participated in any academic enrichment programs, such as SHPEP, or been part of any pipeline programs? Have you been connected to current medical students who are members of SNMA or been part of any of their virtual mentoring programs?

Yes, I do think a little more people-facing non-clinical volunteering is going to be helpful since I don't see that much of it from what you describe.