WAMC/School List Help, 3.0 UndergradGPA, 520 MCAT Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue185

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to apply to medical school and my stats (well, GPA mainly), is so out of tune that I'm not too sure about what my target/reach school lists should be like, and would really appreciate some input

1. cGPA and sGPA
    1. Undergrad: 3.03 GPA, 3.27sGPA
    2. MPH: 3.69 GPA
    3. MSMP: 3.91 GPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 519: 131/130/128/130
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Texas
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Top 10 undergrad, #1 in my major (engineering)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 1 year of scribing
    2. ~350 hours clinical volunteering
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. COVID public health research-- 1 first author publication, a few presentations
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 90 hours shadowing-- cardiologist, hematologist, primary care
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 300 hours in food bank/meals on wheels
    2. ~100-150 hours of primary school tutoring program

Especially with my undergraduate GPA/not having too much extracurriculars, I'm not too sure how to evaluate myself. (Plus have mostly been focusing on making sure my grade is good in my SMP program, so haven't looked too deeply into school lists, so any help would be appreciated)

My current list would be
Most Texas school
Case Western
Tufts
Emory
Wayne
Drexel
Loyola
Rutgers
Wake Forest
Temple

Am I overshooting? Underselling myself? Any other schools I need to be looking into/adding to the list? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive interviews.
For AMCAS schools you could try TCU-UNT and Tulane. Other OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants with your stats since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update to the post: Ended up applying to all TMDSAS schools with exception of UT tyler (it seemed like it really focuses on regional ties and I had none at all), and a bit more broadly to AMCAS schools because-- well, even if they don't look at many people from Texas it can't hurt to give a shot.
Ended up interviewing at Lubbock and SHSU (no matches), no OOS IIs so far, and waiting on 3 OOS schools seems like they still have some II's left from previous year's threads that's yet to give me a pre-II R but not counting on much there.

Since my previous post the main additions are that I've stayed at my scribing position, started being involved in a clinical research under the physician I'm scribing for in January, as well as having shadowed a DO for a week. In addition, I'm possibly applying to be a scribe manager this summer/next fall

Going forward to next cycle, should I just look to rewrite my essays and just apply to the same schools I did this year+ AACOMAS? Is there any point of me applying to the higher end schools on my original list since none were interested in me this cycle? I submitted my applications late this cycle (late August) which obviously doesn't help but would submitting earlier really be the difference maker?

In addition, I've also been looking around and the Temple ACMS program seemed interesting with a conditional acceptance to med school provided I can have a 3.6 in the program and a 509 MCAT which I satisfy. After not being successful this cycle in applying the thought of being guaranteed med school acceptance seems really appealing to me even if I have to study for another year for it. Does anyone have inputs on if it is a good idea for me to try to apply to this program even though I already did pretty well in my MSMP at case? Thanks

OOS MD schools admit few Texas residents with your stats and no connection to the state since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. When you reapply I suggest these schools:
All TMDSAS MD and DO schools
For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane, TCU, Belmont and Alice Walton (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM

OOS MD schools admit few Texas residents with your stats and no connection to the state since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. When you reapply I suggest these schools:
All TMDSAS MD and DO schools
For AMCAS schools you could try Tulane, TCU, Belmont and Alice Walton (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
UIWSOM
OSU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Thank you Faha. I actually don't know if I even qualify as a Texas resident for this upcoming cycle anymore, and I am planning on contacting TMDSAS for on Monday regarding that (no longer of age to be claimed by dependent by parents). Hypothetically if I would no longer be considered a Texas resident, do you think I would actually have a greater chance at OOS schools? And if so what schools should I be looking to add then?

Thank you Faha. I actually don't know if I even qualify as a Texas resident for this upcoming cycle anymore, and I am planning on contacting TMDSAS for on Monday regarding that (no longer of age to be claimed by dependent by parents). Hypothetically if I would no longer be considered a Texas resident, do you think I would actually have a greater chance at OOS schools? And if so what schools should I be looking to add then?
Let us know if you qualify as a resident of another state. Where do you currently live ?

I think I would be qualified as Ohio if not texas? I might be able to argue that since my entire time in ohio is for educational purposes that I might still qualify for texas residency?

I would really love to attend medical school in texas if possible, but seeing the lack of success i’ve had this cycle maybe its better to not bother if its impacting my chances out of state

I think I would be qualified as Ohio if not texas? I might be able to argue that since my entire time in ohio is for educational purposes that I might still qualify for texas residency?

I would really love to attend medical school in texas if possible, but seeing the lack of success i’ve had this cycle maybe its better to not bother if its impacting my chances out of state
You should check with the Ohio schools to see if you qualify for residency. You are certainly competitive for the Texas DO schools.

You should check with the Ohio schools to see if you qualify for residency. You are certainly competitive for the Texas DO schools.
Check with Ohio schools for residency criteria, but compare the tuition differences. Ohio State and Cincinnati would more likely take you compared to campuses where they like students committed to their own regions (NEOMED, Toledo, Wright State). OUHCOM has the largest number of seats, and soon Xavier will add to the mix in 2027 (Proposed College of Osteopathic Medicine).