WAMC/School List: 3.85/515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange kayak

Reaction score
Looking for school list with 25 MD and 5 DO schools, though mainly trying to matriculate into MD schools. Looking to apply to schools in which I actually have a decent chance of getting in ( hence not reach or prestige schools). Also please let me know of certain areas of my app that are lacking and which I can fix before June.
  1. 4.0 GPA ( from 2 years of highschool dual enrollment at local community college), 3.8 GPA from 3 years at University of Washington
  2. 515 (131/126/130/128)
  3. State of residence = Washington
  4. ORM: south asian
  5. Undergraduate institution= University of Washington
  6. Clinical: 480 hours scribing trauma surgery ICU || 120 hours at Covid vaccination popup clinics || 115 hours at senior citizen facility as respite caretaker
  7. Research: 500 hours of Malaria research ( no pubs no posters) || 1000 hours of neuroendocrinology research ( 1 middle author pub in the process)
  8. Shadowing: 60 hours: 25 in trauma surgery ICU ( with DO physician) and 35 in endocrinology clinic ( with MD physician)
  9. Non clinical: 40 hours at food bank, 100 hours at refugee rehabilitation center (helping refugees one on one with creating resumes, mock interviews, job lists,etc)
  10. leadership = maybe the refugee rehabilitation can also count as leadership, idk? hobbies = walking pet tortoise and freshwater kayaking

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
Kaiser
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
You do not need to apply to DO schools. More hours at the refugee center would be good.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
Kaiser
Creighton
St. Louis
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
New York Medical College
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
You do not need to apply to DO schools. More hours at the refugee center would be good.
In your opinion, is it even worth it to apply U Michigan, mt Sinai, Morsani when their mcat averages are significantly higher than mine? I just don't want to waste time/$ applying to schools that are pretty much gonna auto reject me.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your opinion, is it even worth it to apply U Michigan, mt Sinai, Morsani when their mcat averages are significantly higher than mine? I just don't want to waste time/$ applying to schools that are pretty much gonna auto reject me.
Yes, your GPA is 3.85 . Mount Sinai interviews approximately 20% of non residents who complete secondaries.

Clearly it is nonclinical community service, but I don't follow why you think it is leadership.
I saw some people online say that TAing/tutoring counts as leadership so I thought maybe since I'm guiding/"teaching" refugees through the job process in the USA, it might be considered leadership. But, you're right its probably not.

I saw some people online say that TAing/tutoring counts as leadership so I thought maybe since I'm guiding/"teaching" refugees through the job process in the USA, it might be considered leadership. But, you're right its probably not.
I'm just giving you my impression after a number of file deliberations and rubric discussions on this topic. Sure, you can develop power skills that leaders can use, but you are a community volunteer. If you were providing similar services for those newly released from prison, that would still be service.

I'm just giving you my impression after a number of file deliberations and rubric discussions on this topic. Sure, you can develop power skills that leaders can use, but you are a community volunteer. If you were providing similar services for those newly released from prison, that would still be service.
Thank you for explaining that. I will play it safe and place it in non clinical volunteering and will just have to bite the bullet that I won't have any leadership on my app this cycle