WAMC reapp, 3.85/510. Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RelifeUser

Reaction score
This is my second gap year. I would like to receive feedback on what I should be doing going forward. I applied this year and may be a reapplicant due to late submission.

1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.85 for both
2. MCAT: 510; 128/124/128/130
3. State: VA
4. Race: Asian
5. School: Top 50 school, Public Ivy
6. Clinical:
  • 175 hours at low-income clinic, volunteering as a medical assistant. I assisted the nurse and took vitals/patient documentation. Many were underprivileged, Hispanic patients, and about half did not speak English.
  • 450 hours at various children camps with special needs. I know this is grey area in being clinical, but I had some opportunities to assist with daily living activities. I marked this as MME.
7. Research: In my 2nd year at NIH IRTA in a translational lab. Two papers are going to be submitted soon. My PI is pushing me to write a first-author paper before I leave. ~3000 hours by submission. I marked this as MME.
8. Shadowing: 50 hours at internist/pediatrician.
9. Non-clinical volunteering
  • 100 hours tutoring in afterschool programs
  • 125 hours at my college service organization (lots of volunteering with local organizations. Most are not underserved)
  • 50 hours in church childcare
10. Leadership:
  • 300 hours as president of my college service organization
  • 100 hours with my college Christian ministry with two positions (not board but lower position). I led smaller groups in discussions.
  • 600 hours of paid teaching (tutoring at my college tutoring program, summer job working with kids)
11. Awards: I got the highest community service award from a local adult community service organization (Kiwanians) for my service/leadership/fellowship contributions.
12. Others: Nearly all of my hours are pre-COVID (patient interaction, shadowing, and non-clinical). I am worried about recency/continuance of activities.
First year, I didn't do much. Second year, I was studying for MCAT with my full-time job (took longer to study than expected, unfortunately. This year, I started doing some stuff, but not significant in # of hours. This is why I'm really confused and unsure what I should be doing going forward. The above are what is in my application for 2021-22.

For my application in 2022-23,
Nonclinical
volunteering I started doing:
  • Soup Kitchen for the underprivileged/served, primiarily those suffering from homeless and previous offenders. (maybe 50 hours by application?)
  • Crisis Textline (maybe 50 hours by application?)
Clinical (patient interaction):
  • Scribing part-time (?) - I recently started at an outpatient clinic and all I've been doing was taking notes without seeing physician/patient interaction. Trainers are doing the same thing - not seeing patients. He said I can come in next week and scribe when he talks to a patient but honestly, I'm not sure if I want to keep doing this job because 1) it's been boring and 2) it's been difficult to focus my efforts in my full-time research job and volunteering. I'll see how it goes this week first but would it better/okay for me to endeavor in clinical volunteering instead? I have been considering either free-clinic or hospice. I'm really looking to do something I enjoy and obtain valuable experiences from. It just seems like everyone has a paid employment and it's making me feel behind...
  • I am also looking for doctors to shadow since my last shadowing was four years ago.
I applied late this cycle due to late MCAT and only managed to finish three schools. I accidentally added four other schools too and have incomplete secondaries. I am planning to write ahead of time for the next cycle.

School list for 2021-22:
Submitted schools:
  • EVMS (in-state)
  • VCU (in-state)
  • U of Maryland (I work in Baltimore)
Incomplete secondaries:
  • VT (in-state)
  • UVA (in-state)
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington

Thank you for reading this far :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to apply in June next year and submit all your secondaries by July. You also need to apply to many more schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
UVA
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin