WAMC: OSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenny1021

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a 22 year old undergrad in my last semester hoping to apply for the 2021-2022 cycle. I'm applying this year because I needed the gap year to continue gaining more experience and saving up for the transition. I plan on only applying to OSU, maybe Ross (they partner with my school), because I fell in love with their program when I visited - I am also in Ohio, so the in-state intuition would be amazing for me. If I don't get in this year, I plan to re-apply.

Current cumulative GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: Not calculated since I'm not exactly sure how schools calculate them, but it's not the best (a lot of C+s and Bs, some As)
Last 30 credit hour GPA: Still not sure how my spring GPA will turn out, but my fall semester was 4.0

Vet experience:
I currently work at an animal shelter as a vet assistant. I will have ~900 hours by the time I submit my application.
I've shadowed a small animal private practice for 40 hours.

Animal experience:
I volunteered at the current shelter I work at doing various non-veterinary related things for ~200 hours.
I worked at a pet store for over a year. I realize this may be questionable, but I calculated how many hours I spent SPECIFICALLY working with animals (cleaning cages, feeding, giving medication, etc) and it was ~500. I'd spend the last 1.5 hours of every shift doing the animal care.

I'm currently in the middle of contacting an equine vet, an emergency vet, and another small animal practice to get more experience over the summer before I apply. I hope to have at least 50 hours in each area by then, but it's touch-and-go because of COVID.

LOC:
Shelter veterinarian
Hopefully my writing in bio professor or the manager of the shelter I work at
Small animal veterinarian

I know this is a lot to take in, but I've been riddled with anxiety since VMCAS opened in January. What are my chances of getting into OSU? Do you have any tips to strengthen my application?

Members don't see this ad.

@jenny1021
hey, so I definitely had some Cs in my science GPA and I got into Ohio this year. Even had two Ws from organic 1. I am not an expert by any means, but just sharing that my cumulative GPA was really similar to yours when I applied so your GPA might be okay. I had almost no large animal experience except for babysitting goats and had maybe 5-10 hrs of equine experience tops -- very sparse. that said, when I spoke with admissions last year, the head admissions person was super helpful on helping me identify if I'd be competitive or not. I did have research and wildlife experience that I think boosted my app a bit. She also said due to Covid I could watch and participate in CE webinars to make up for the lack of experience in large animal; maybe reach out to her

Reactions: 1 user
@jenny1021
hey, so I definitely had some Cs in my science GPA and I got into Ohio this year. Even had two Ws from organic 1. I am not an expert by any means, but just sharing that my cumulative GPA was really similar to yours when I applied so your GPA might be okay. I had almost no large animal experience except for babysitting goats and had maybe 5-10 hrs of equine experience tops -- very sparse. that said, when I spoke with admissions last year, the head admissions person was super helpful on helping me identify if I'd be competitive or not. I did have research and wildlife experience that I think boosted my app a bit. She also said due to Covid I could watch and participate in CE webinars to make up for the lack of experience in large animal; maybe reach out to her
This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the response. If it’s okay to ask, how did you get in contact with admissions for help? Was it through their email?

This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the response. If it’s okay to ask, how did you get in contact with admissions for help? Was it through their email?
Glad to help! And yes! It was an odd time because they emailed me to let me know my tour was canceled due to Covid, and we ended up talking about everything on the phone. But they've been super helpful throughout the whole process. We also ended up discussing pre-reqs and such because I studied ecology prior to this all so I wanted to make sure those credits would count for their science category. They had me fill out one of their pre-req evaluation forms and sort of got a good sense of where I stood through that as well. It definitely helps if you have specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user