WAMC OSU, LMU, ROSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goats254

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm super anxious over this cycle so was curious what some thoughts are about my chances.

Interests: Large animal, public health, mixed practice... not sure yet

Cumulative GPA: 3.8
science GPA: 3.9
last 45: 3.7

Any degrees achieved: Graduating with B.S. in Animal Science this spring, in the honors college program, minor in small animal science

GRE results:
Q/V/W: N/A, didn't take

Veterinary Experience:
- ~350 hours shadowing a mixed practice vet who treats livestock & exotics
-50 hours shadowing at a small animal practice (shadowed a vet who was the wife of the previously listed veterinarian however, they own both practices together)
- 940 hours working for a small animal vet as an assistant
- 90 hours Loop Abroad Thailand veterinary service - Elephants & small animal
-Foal nurse at equine hospital, only got 40 hours or so due to covid but was supposed to get more

Animal Experience:
- 7 years experience raising goats in 4-H, an uncountable amount of hours (I am now a 4-H leader for the goat project in my county so I listed that separately under leadership)
-Worked at my schools USDA small animal lab with rodents, rabbits, cats, fish, and herps, about 300 hours
-Pet sitting in highschool

Research Experience:
-Water quality monitoring research internship
-Online wildlife research project with Loop abroad using camera trap images and drone footage, cut short due to family circumstances due to covid which was explained

Awards/scholarships:
- Scholarship From the Elks
- Merit scholarship from school
- Privately awarded scholarship for Animal science student
-Various awards in showmanship and breeding from breeding dairy goats in 4-H
-Alpha Lambda Delta Membership (honors society)

eLORS: My boss (small animal vet), my advisor (A dvm as well), the PhD I did environmental research with, and a mixed practice vet.

CASPAR: 75th-100th percentile (literally do not know what I did right, I left so many questions blank...)

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-Vet club with minor exec position, all semesters attended
-American Sign language club for one semester
-GLOW club (Gay-Straight alliance) for one semester
-Freshman Peer mentor
- Lab assistant for anatomy & physiology, Animal Science classes during various semesters
-camp counselor in highschool at historical farm

Employment:
- My employment is already listed because it's all animal/vet related, wasn't able to work much until recently due to family circumstance

Summarize any concerns you have
I really think my essays were bad, I really struggled with them :(

I applied to LMU, ROSS, Oregon State, VA-MD, NC State, Missouri U, Texas A&M, and Iowa State. I know some of those are defintely huge reaches/unlikely due to OOS (I am a NJ resident unfortunely). I haven't heard from LMU and their website says they extend interviews Sept-Oct so I'm starting to be very pessimistic since they are supposed to be "easier" to get into... Perhaps i'm overthinking this. I know my GPAs are ok, just think I need more varied experience, better essays....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LMU, ROSS, Oregon State, VA-MD, NC State, Missouri U, Texas A&M, and Iowa State
You did pick a school list skewed out of favor for OOS students (Oregon State, NC State, TAMU specifically). However, you look overall pretty good with what you've told us. Sit tight and see what happens.