WAMC - ORM TX Reapp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceNinja

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More hours will help you. I think you could consider an MCAT retake if you get feedback from the two schools where you interviewed encouraging you to do so. You did get some interviews, so how well did you do your homework on mission fit with them?

While you can consider a MCAT retake, I would pay attention to Casper preparation for a better outcome within TMDSAS. Did you use our free PrepMatch forum or any of their free peer-to-peer services? I wish the schools were more upfront about using Casper results, but at least your current cycle score will count.

Refugee teaching: what nationalities are represented? What other services can you assist these families with aside from "teaching"? Despite the political climate, you should hopefully gain a lot of experience here, especially if this is consistent with your vision and purpose as a future healthcare provider.

It may be difficult to convince a screener that an activity that you did for 50 hours is "most meaningful", especially if you had 230 hours in a research lab which also presumably was unpaid and didn't comment on it.

Goal: cross the minimum threshold of 200 hours of total clinical exposure (you have it, so push for more) and 200 hours of non-clinical community volunteering/service.

Just my thoughts. I wish you luck, and reach out to us if you have any concerns or need a way to vent constructively.

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts mirror Mr.Smile’s detailed breakdown. The MCAT score likely did not hold you back considering the TMDAS averages. Work on bulking your EC hours (especially non-clinical helping those less fortunate). Also do mock interviews and work on Casper. The physician letter can come from someone you worked with at the free clinic or if you take a job as an MA. Also apply to:

Tulane
TCU
UIWSOM
PCOM
DMU
Marian
Oklahoma State
KCOM
KCU

Members don't see this ad :)
More hours will help you. I think you could consider an MCAT retake if you get feedback from the two schools where you interviewed encouraging you to do so. You did get some interviews, so how well did you do your homework on mission fit with them?

While you can consider a MCAT retake, I would pay attention to Casper preparation for a better outcome within TMDSAS. Did you use our free PrepMatch forum or any of their free peer-to-peer services? I wish the schools were more upfront about using Casper results, but at least your current cycle score will count.

Refugee teaching: what nationalities are represented? What other services can you assist these families with aside from "teaching"? Despite the political climate, you should hopefully gain a lot of experience here, especially if this is consistent with your vision and purpose as a future healthcare provider.

It may be difficult to convince a screener that an activity that you did for 50 hours is "most meaningful", especially if you had 230 hours in a research lab which also presumably was unpaid and didn't comment on it.

Goal: cross the minimum threshold of 200 hours of total clinical exposure (you have it, so push for more) and 200 hours of non-clinical community volunteering/service.

Just my thoughts. I wish you luck, and reach out to us if you have any concerns or need a way to vent constructively.
Before I reply I just want to thank you so so so much for this superb response! I'll expound a bit. I got 2 MD interviews from TMDSAS. I think my mission fit was good in the sense that I got interviews from 2 schools with a rural/community health focus via free clinic and public health. I got one of the interviews relatively early so maybe my interview performance is to blame? Will definitely reach out to both schools as you said if the MCAT played a role.

I have not heard of PrepMatch. I did basically nothing for CASPer as I heard it is not a test you can "prep" for. I guess if I dont retake then I can put a lot of time into this. I will look into this for sure. Hopefully there are some resources for those who type slower like me.

Mostly middle eastern refugees. Other services I'm not too sure about but they do have activities with kids to help them assimilate more easily, face less bullying in school etc etc. Maybe I will try to have these conversations with them more after prayer time and help them get up on their feet emotionally. I would feel good doing this in a more formal setting rather than after the teaching workshops as I was bullied very early on in my childhood and would love love to help the kids adjust outside the academics.

Yes for the 3 significant activites, my formula was 1 clinical, 1 non clinical, and then the 1 employment. I see that the non clinical I picked was not good due to low hours in it. I thought that by putting research as one of the 3 it may seem like too much for an application to medicial school plus I started it in Jan 2022 and applied in May 2022. Especially now that I can tick "yes" to the box about publications and can talk about my contribution to the project in depth with the extra characters, I was still thinking of putting the teaching and personal experience with refugees as my new 3rd significant activity even though I have more hours in research. Would love your opinion on my thought process here.

For the community hours, can I solely focus on being more involved with the refugee kids as I described above? I also thought that my TA hours would count as non clinical but I put that under leadership since I also got course credit hours for them on my transcript. Could I add these positions to the non clinical section to indicate my hours more clearly/accurately? (For TMDSAS, hours arent shown for anything in leadership. Not sure how things are on AMCAS or AACOMAS).

Last edited:
My thoughts mirror Mr.Smile’s detailed breakdown. The MCAT score likely did not hold you back considering the TMDAS averages. Work on bulking your EC hours (especially non-clinical helping those less fortunate). Also do mock interviews and work on Casper. The physician letter can come from someone you worked with at the free clinic or if you take a job as an MA. Also apply to:

Tulane
TCU
UIWSOM
PCOM
DMU
Marian
Oklahoma State
KCOM
KCU
Thank you so much for your input!! I haven't taken anatomy in undergrad so it seems like TCU would be off the table. Would it be smart to apply to Wright State as well since I grew up near the area? I saw on MSAR Texas was a highlighted state where there are matriculants but is me growing up in OH a significant enough tie for them to seriously consider me? If I apply to Tulane only and/or this school as well, should I submit AMCAS last and submit TMDSAS first and then AACOMAS? Also since I did not get interviews from SHSU and TCOM, could it be because I did not have the best answer to the osteopathic medicine questions? I have a physician rec letter in mind from someone that is a mentor but he would be an MD not a DO. Does this make a difference for someone in my position if I successfully demonstrate my interest in osteopathic medicine?

Side note: How much of the writing do you think I would need to change for TMDSAS? I will talk to those close to me but I have a mentor who reads PS for his former meds school and he really liked my 3 TMDSAS essays. Should I keep the PS the same and slightly change the other 2? I have some ideas as to how to change at least one of the other two. Would the new nontraditional brief essay be a sufficient space to mention how I kept doing more of my main 3 activities and demonstrated commitment + what I learned?

Last edited:
TA goes under teaching and tutoring.

Your diploma from Texas often advantages you for Texas residency. (You would have to say why Ohio if you prefer to change that perception.)

You need to show you are stretching beyond your comfort zone in your community service, not as an expert or an authority. Being in Texas you should do more with refugees from Latin America or South America, especially if you are trying to argue your interest in rural health and underserved populations.

As a reapplicant, you can't be picky for preferring MD over DO, especially if your goal is to get in before you turn 24. But you should focus on Casper too.

TA goes under teaching and tutoring.

Your diploma from Texas often advantages you for Texas residency. (You would have to say why Ohio if you prefer to change that perception.)

You need to show you are stretching beyond your comfort zone in your community service, not as an expert or an authority. Being in Texas you should do more with refugees from Latin America or South America, especially if you are trying to argue your interest in rural health and underserved populations.

As a reapplicant, you can't be picky for preferring MD over DO, especially if your goal is to get in before you turn 24. But you should focus on Casper too.
Yes I prefer to stay in TX due to low in-state tuition cost and I also have resided in TX since my latter years of HS. I agree about being involved with refugees from Latin and South America but I think the reason why I got those two interviews in the first place is that the bulk of my clinical experience at the free clinic serves a mostly hispanic community and some immigrants from African countries. I could make this clearer in my writing this time and I also see how it would strengthen my case if I took my involvement with our Latin community to an even deeper level outside of the free clinic.

The first time I applied I did all 14 TMDSAS schools as I definitely would be happy at the 2 DO schools offered. With a physician letter and a deeper reflection on the osteopathic philosophy, I hope I can improve in my applications to these schools and potentially land at least one interview from them. Regardless of whether or not I plan a June-July MCAT retake and however great the possible jump, I will apply to the AACOMAS schools referenced to me by @chilly_md and apply broadly. Thank you for your help @Mr.Smile12 . I feel better already from yesterday and cannot wait till Monday to lock in and continue to improve (Hoping for a WL offer too but not pushing my luck with how many great candidates there are).

Thank you so much for your input!! I haven't taken anatomy in undergrad so it seems like TCU would be off the table. Would it be smart to apply to Wright State as well since I grew up near the area? I saw on MSAR Texas was a highlighted state where there are matriculants but is me growing up in OH a significant enough tie for them to seriously consider me? If I apply to Tulane only and/or this school as well, should I submit AMCAS last and submit TMDSAS first and then AACOMAS? Also since I did not get interviews from SHSU and TCOM, could it be because I did not have the best answer to the osteopathic medicine questions? I have a physician rec letter in mind from someone that is a mentor but he would be an MD not a DO. Does this make a difference for someone in my position if I successfully demonstrate my interest in osteopathic medicine?

Side note: How much of the writing do you think I would need to change for TMDSAS? I will talk to those close to me but I have a mentor who reads PS for his former meds school and he really liked my 3 TMDSAS essays. Should I keep the PS the same and slightly change the other 2? I have some ideas as to how to change at least one of the other two. Would the new nontraditional brief essay be a sufficient space to mention how I kept doing more of my main 3 activities and demonstrated commitment + what I learned?
Maybe if you grew up there until like your senior year (so birth till 16-17). You would have to have been in the respective part of OH though in my opinion.

TMDAS opens first, submit AMCAS in June. AACOMAS by July. You should make sure these are being submitted early in the cycle. DO schools do like seeing a DO letter, so see if you can obtain one, especially since TCOM and SHSU did not interview you last time. Both their secondaries ask about osteopathic medicine, so that is definitely an area you should try to address. Even shadowing a DO but using the MD letter from your mentor would be a good step towards showing you are interested.

It would be good to make modifications to the essays, including the PS. If you have had several people read over your PS, you can modify it slightly and include a discussion about what you encountered in new clinical experiences that further answer why you want to pursue medicine. I don't think the nontraditional essay is meant to rehash your activities and is meant more for people who have had a longer journey to medicine and/or are switching careers (which doesn't seem to apply to you).

Really sad that despite your MCAT scores being in the median range of acceptance for many schools in TX, your excellent GPA, many other positive attributes in your application and even with your low SES highlighted on your secondaries, it didn’t work out so far for you.

As much as you can heed all the great feedback from SDN team of experts, I feel the obviously major and irreversible factor in your app that no one even wants to talk about is your “ORM status”.

Confident that the next cycle will work out for you when SCOTUS rules against the unfair race-conscious decision by med schools that penalizes hardworking and low SES ORMs like you, while rewarding other candidates with your stats as well as similar EAM-Experiences/Attributes/Metrics, only because they happen to be URMs even if they have high SES (yes, even with your Casper 1st quartile).

There are way too many ORM students like you in this cycle who haven’t made it so far, from just from a cursory reading of the SDN chats. What a pity!
Sending positive wishes your way!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Okay...
Maybe if you grew up there until like your senior year (so birth till 16-17). You would have to have been in the respective part of OH though in my opinion.

TMDAS opens first, submit AMCAS in June. AACOMAS by July. You should make sure these are being submitted early in the cycle. DO schools do like seeing a DO letter, so see if you can obtain one, especially since TCOM and SHSU did not interview you last time. Both their secondaries ask about osteopathic medicine, so that is definitely an area you should try to address. Even shadowing a DO but using the MD letter from your mentor would be a good step towards showing you are interested.

It would be good to make modifications to the essays, including the PS. If you have had several people read over your PS, you can modify it slightly and include a discussion about what you encountered in new clinical experiences that further answer why you want to pursue medicine. I don't think the nontraditional essay is meant to rehash your activities and is meant more for people who have had a longer journey to medicine and/or are switching careers (which doesn't seem to apply to you).
Thank you for the idea of shadowing a DO but getting a letter from my MD mentor. This is a best of both worlds scenario as I feel that the letter from the mentor will be significantly stronger than a new DO I shadow in the coming weeks. I wish I could find one that incorporates OMM into their practice as I already have a good amount of shadowing and this would be something new that I could speak about to answer the osteopathic medicine questions better. To be fair, I did mark that I intend to apply to AMCAS this cycle and ticked no for AACOMAS but I only ever applied to TMDSAS. I hope this isn't something that was taken too seriously but I did hear that it could be viewed a certain way.

I think I can change my middle 2 paragraphs of my PS with new examples from my experiences but the intro and conclusion + 1 other body paragraph would have to remain the same/similar as those are instrumental to my interest in medicine. For the non-trad essay, is this something that isn't applicable for me as a reapplicant then? Would I be considered a reapplicant when applying to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS for the first time? I assume they will ask if I applied in the past and I can say yes but TMDSAS only. Also, since money is tight, I really hope that AACOMAS has a similar program to FAP as it will ease the stress of using many application services.

Final DO question: How do they view research? I know for MD that it is something that is becoming increasingly important like a cherry on top (lol) but still not a necessity. This is definitely something I would like to continue during med school in some form as an EC/hobby and I am not sure how they would view my publication and research experience as compared to MD programs. I didn't have a publication the first time but this cycle I have one, 1+ year of commitment instead of 4 months, and will have a LOI from my PI.

Thank you for the idea of shadowing a DO but getting a letter from my MD mentor. This is a best of both worlds scenario as I feel that the letter from the mentor will be significantly stronger than a new DO I shadow in the coming weeks. I wish I could find one that incorporates OMM into their practice as I already have a good amount of shadowing and this would be something new that I could speak about to answer the osteopathic medicine questions better. To be fair, I did mark that I intend to apply to AMCAS this cycle and ticked no for AACOMAS but I only ever applied to TMDSAS. I hope this isn't something that was taken too seriously but I did hear that it could be viewed a certain way.

I think I can change my middle 2 paragraphs of my PS with new examples from my experiences but the intro and conclusion + 1 other body paragraph would have to remain the same/similar as those are instrumental to my interest in medicine. For the non-trad essay, is this something that isn't applicable for me as a reapplicant then? Would I be considered a reapplicant when applying to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS for the first time? I assume they will ask if I applied in the past and I can say yes but TMDSAS only. Also, since money is tight, I really hope that AACOMAS has a similar program to FAP as it will ease the stress of using many application services.

Final DO question: How do they view research? I know for MD that it is something that is becoming increasingly important like a cherry on top (lol) but still not a necessity. This is definitely something I would like to continue during med school in some form as an EC/hobby and I am not sure how they would view my publication and research experience as compared to MD programs. I didn't have a publication the first time but this cycle I have one, 1+ year of commitment instead of 4 months, and will have a LOI from my PI.
AACOMAS has a similar system to FAP, but it is first-come first serve and does not provide as much help as FAP. Being a reapplicant does not mean you are a non-trad. I do not know the specific prompt that TMDAS uses, but you do not have anything out of the ordinary to put there that will not be found elsewhere in your app.

For many medical schools, they are more interested in your clinical experience and helping those less fortunate (such as refugees or helping at your local homeless shelter). A good LOR always helps, however.

AACOMAS has a similar system to FAP, but it is first-come first serve and does not provide as much help as FAP. Being a reapplicant does not mean you are a non-trad. I do not know the specific prompt that TMDAS uses, but you do not have anything out of the ordinary to put there that will not be found elsewhere in your app.

For many medical schools, they are more interested in your clinical experience and helping those less fortunate (such as refugees or helping at your local homeless shelter). A good LOR always helps, however.
Thank you so much @chilly_md for the generous, genuine advice. I will try my best to improve even more in these next 2-3 months :)

Status
Not open for further replies.